Immigration House Visit

Hi Guys, anyone have any experience with immigration making a visit to your stated address while you were not there? Do they actually make visits or is it dependent on the immigration office? How seriously do they treat breaches of this during the 30 consideration period?

Thanks in advance!

If they find you are not living together it would be loss of extension so it could be very serious. But if just out when they check suspect they will then ask around the area and use that for there information. It depends on the office and current policy on how often, of it ever, that make such visits.

In Pattaya they do in every instance, and many years ago they also visited my home when I lived in Bangkok.

They will talk to any domestic staff you may employ at your home and will also check with neighbours to ensure your marriage is not a sham.

It is an essential part of the vetting process for anyone applying for an extension based on marriage and if they find anything suspicious your application will be refused.

If i remember this right, the law is requiring the applicant to be living together for the "extensions" but not for the visa itself, so you can re-do a new visa everytime the old one is expiring, no need of extensions, can anyone confirm on this?

A visa does not allow more than 90 days in Thailand so yes you can obtain such a visa on proof of marriage and often requiring current copies of wife documents without house visits and such. For those working overseas it is often better than an extension of stay but for those living in Thailand the extension of stay is normally preferred.

• Like 1

If i remember this right, the law is requiring the applicant to be living together for the "extensions" but not for the visa itself, so you can re-do a new visa everytime the old one is expiring, no need of extensions, can anyone confirm on this?

There will be a visit after you make your initial visa extension application (i.e during the 90 days of your non-imm visa) ,based on marriage.

They don't give you a one year extension without a home visit and then go and check if you are still living together after one year. They do the check on day one.

Mobi, a "Visa" and an "Extension" of that Visa are 2 different things and are also being dealt differently....

Mobi, a "Visa" and an "Extension" of that Visa are 2 different things and are also being dealt differently....

My dear friend, you are the one is confused. This time around I have been back in Thailand for over 10 years and have only ever had one, single 90 day non-immigrant visa. Since then I have had 'extensions of stay' based on either marriage or retirement. All of these extensions relate back to that ONE visa.

If you apply for a non immigrant visa abroad, based on marriage or retirement, when you arrive in LOS, you must apply for EXTENSIONS to your existing visa (the one you entered the country on) - not a new visa. Got it?

Edited by Mobi

A visa can not be extended, you can only get a new visa.

When you enter Thailand you get a permission to stay, which is something entirely different from a visa. This permission of stay is what you can extend, not the visa. A visa is only a permission to travel to Thailand. Not a permission to enter and stay in Thailand.

When you enter Thailand you get a permission to stay, which is something entirely different from a visa. This permission of stay is what you can extend, not the visa. A visa is only a permission to travel to Thailand. Not a permission to enter and stay in Thailand.

My understanding was that a "Visa" it's a permission to stay in a country for the time stated on it and that get double checked at the entry point and might be refused too.

I have never been asked to produce my "permission of stay", official are always asking to see the "Visa", where would this permission of stay show up exactly in the documents i have to produce? laugh.png

Edit:

Google:

vi·sa/ˈvēzə/

Noun: An endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country. Synonyms:

vise

More info »Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

Edited by surayu

If you apply for a non immigrant visa abroad, based on marriage or retirement, when you arrive in LOS, you must apply for EXTENSIONS to your existing visa (the one you entered the country on) - not a new visa. Got it?

Logic says that an "extension" should start from the moment your "Visa" expires, so you extend that date, until then, you are still using the Visa you have, no?

And by the way, you (or anybody else) don't have to compulsorily apply for an extension, you can choose to go for any other Visa option that might apply to your personal circumstances (tourist/student/etc Visas)....

A Visa allows you to ask permision to enter the country at the Immigration check point.

Once you have entered you have a permision to stay. Your Visa is used.

If you qualify and chose to you can extend your permision to stay at an Immigration Office.

coffee1.gif Regarding "visa" and "extension".

May not be exatly the same thing but....

I originally arrived in October 2010 with my Non O multi-entry VISA from Hull, good until October 2011.

In September 2011 I recieved my retirement EXTENSION of one year for that visa until October 2012.

That is stamped in my passport and clearly says I have an extension of my visa until 15 October 2012 based on retirement in Thailand. At that time I started 90 day reporting and March will be my 3rd 90 day extension.

That original VISA expired 15 October 2011, but I was given a 1 year EXTENSION until 15 October 2012.

Now, I will need to get another one-year extension to that (now expired) visa in October 2012...which will require the same documents I needed to get my original 1 year extension...to prove I am still eligable for a retirement extension.

Mine is based on retirement ....not marriage...but the practical results are the same...just different requirements needed to prove eligability.

That's how it has worked for me.

licklips.gif

That is stamped in my passport and clearly says I have an extension of my visa until 15 October 2012 based on retirement in Thailand.

It does not say "extension of stay"? Like all of my stamps for the last 10 years?

Mine says "extension of stay permitted up to 00 xxx 2013" as usual (different year each time obviously). No reference to any "visa". My original Non-O entry visa was 20+ years ago and 3 passports back so I do not think it is related to that.

Edited by terryq

Thanks All for the replies, much appreciated. Its not that my marriage is a sham (we've been married for 12 years) but just that I travel a lot and this particular month I will be away from the house frequently. Also I have just been told by my darling wife that the address i've been using here for years is not actually the address I live at, its a few doors up... I know sounds crazy but the family and relatives all live bunched together in one row and my wife uses just the one address because thats the tabian ban she's registered on.

As always my wife says there should be nothing to worry about but I'm concerned that if there is a visit and they find that not only am I travelling but the address is also tecnically incorrect, it will look very suspect.

Should I just inform the Immigration of all this now (I'm on the 30 days consideration stamp), any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Don't believe there is any reason - with a 12 year history and frequent returns and family around (just travel) do not believe there would be any issue. It is the non marriage and no contact other than yearly visit to immigration they are looking for.

My understanding was that a "Visa" it's a permission to stay in a country for the time stated on it and that get double checked at the entry point and might be refused too.

I have never been asked to produce my "permission of stay", official are always asking to see the "Visa", where would this permission of stay show up exactly in the documents i have to produce? laugh.png

Edit:

Google:

vi·sa/ˈvēzə/

Noun: An endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country. Synonyms:

vise

More info »Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

the permission to stay in Thailand and the date of expiry, is mostly ( handwritten) in the admission stamp when you arrive in LOS.