Ilr - Uk

My wife is coming up on the 2 year qualifying period, arrived in UK on 30/04/10 and is about to apply for ILR.

Now that there is a requirement to apply at the same time for a biometric residence permit, and where she needs to go to have the photo etc. taken is far away from where we live, we've decided that it's probably better to pay the extra and go the PEO route.

We're aware that she can apply up to 28 days prior to the 2 year anniversary and we've booked an appointment for the 18/04/12.

I'm just wondering if this will be ok as she won't have actually been in the UK for 2 years by that date. Is the 28 day rule only applicable for postal applications to allow for the slow processing times?

Hi My wife got her ILR last year, We were told by the UKBA that we could apply 28 days before the expiry of her visa, BUT to make appointment after the expiry date.

So If i were you i would phone the UKBA ( number ison website) they are very helpful, I will say Goodluck but you dont needluck itis normally a basic formality.

Since the 29th February '12 when applying for ILR you must apply for a biometric residence permit at the same time.

If applying by post, after the UKBA receive your documents they send you a letter with your reference number on and you have 15 working days to make an appointment to have your boimetric data taken.

The nearest place to us to have this done is in Cardiff, we live in Cornwall, so rather than send off the documents, wait and then have to go to Cardiff, then wait again for the decision we've decided to just pay the extra and get it all sorted in one day.

• Like 1

My wife and daughter received their ILR after waiting 21 weeks!

The application form is pretty straight forward.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/settlement/applicationtypes/applicationformset(m)/

Your wife will need to get a biometric residence permit. If you attend in person it is done there and then but you will have to wait about a week for the actual permit to arrive.

If you use the postal route be aware the wait can be lengthy and your passport as well as your wife's will be with them for this time so no foreign travel and applying for a job may be a problem!

If successful you will get a reference number and you can take it to a number of post offices/Public Enquiry Offices for the permits to be sorted out.

The UKBA website does list these addresses.

You will need a Life In the UK pass certificate/ref number or ESOL certificate and letter from the college.

Good luck!