Thai Authorities Consider Evacuating Children And The Aged As Air Pollution In North Worsens

webfact

I'm certainly no expert on the chemistry involved but isn't it the case that most of what is being burned is, basically, cellulose fibre which might be capable of being used in the process of board manufacturing? Can't farmers be paid (enough) to gather and bring their crop waste to local collection points for onward transportation to board factories?

I know in my own local area 'they' built a small plant to process corn waste into bio-fuel but what was paid to farmers didn't even cover the cost of their time and diesel. The result is that the plant is virtually idle through lack of supply.

I despair of the 'powers that be' ever acting genuinely in the interests of the people who elect them.

They should just keep talking about it and act like this is the first year it's every happened. Then they can talk about it again next year, and the year after.

How many 100s of years has this been happening?

70 years ago Thailand was covered with dense forests and only 20% agricultural land. The problems was a lot smaller!

Also, Thais didn't have a lot of plastic to burn up till 20/30 years ago. Food products were mostly packed in banana leaves.