Have I Got Time To Get Married And Extend My Type-O Before May 5Th ?

hi,

i'm living in chiang mai and my permission to stay ends on may 5th.

i have a 2 year old thai daughter and have a multientry type - O visa which is on it's last 3 months and permission to stay ends on may 5th.

if i get married will i have to goto bkk to get a letter of affimation or can i get one from the uk consulate here in chiang mai ?

i believe i need to show 400k baht ? does that need to be in my account for a certain time before making the extension ?

can i apply for the year extension on may 4th ?

if i get divorced in the future can i still use the marriage certificate to extend next time ?

is there any other factors i may have missed ?

i'm undecided wheather to live in thailand or the u.k but i need to know the time scales for extensions etc.

if i get married in thailand do i also have to register the marriage in the uk ?

thank you for looking,

The consulate in CM should be able to get you the affirmation letter done, then do the rest up there as well.

You cannot extend if you are divorced. As your wife has to go with you and also there need to be photos and other things attached to your application. They may even interview people who live in the same area about you.

The money needs to be in your account for 3 months on initial extension then 2 months for every one after that.

Do not wait until one day before, do it at least 10 days before you lose no time on your present extension. And if anything more is required it gives you time to get it.

You do not have to register the marriage in the UK, it is a legal marriage, you can however give the Consulate your marriage certificate to deposit in the UK, this will cost you money, in my opinion a waste of time, as there is little or no benefit to doing this.

You can apply for an extension of stay based on marriage on your current entry, any day between 5 April and 5 May. (provided you are married or the legal father of the child. If need be you can get a 60 day extension first, so yu can season the money).

Financial requirement is 40,000 a month (can be from abroad) or 400,000 in the bank in Thailand for 2 months).

You should be abl to get the letter fron the consulate and have it trnslated and certified in Chiang Mai.

If you divorce, you can not use your marriage certificate to get a new extension. You can legitimize your daughter and apply for an extension of stay based on her. But criteria is still that you and your daughter live togehter, which might not be the case in a divorce.

The money has to be in the bank for 2 months before application.

Marriage Requirements

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.

OR.

Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

Marriage Certificate

Marriage Registry entry.

Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.

A map showing the way to your house.

Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in a month and get the remainder.

licklips.gif You may not have enough time to get a marriage extension because I believe the 400K Baht needs to "seasoned" in your Thai bank account for 3 months before you apply for the extension.

The other financial route is to show a monthly income of 40,000 Bant equivalent...that would need to be certified by the U.K. embessy.

The embessy can give you all the details on a marriage extension...but just be aware this is a process...not a one-day thing.

And yes, it's a legal marriage...and it will I beieve a statement of legal ability to marry..(i.e. being either single or legally divorced or widowed from previous mzarriage).

Another point you might consider. You mentioned you nave a non O multi-entry visa? If so when does it expire?

Because if is for one year and expires on (just as an example) 15 May 2012...then you can do a border run on 14 May 2012, and re-enter that same day getting another 90 day "permitted to stay" stamp...which will let you stay in Thailand even after your visa expired for that 90 days. During that last 90 days you should have time to establish that bank account, and get the other paperwork required for your marriage extension.

You also should consider your daughter. If you can prove ypu are the father, then she has the right to be a U.K. citizen. She doen't have to choose to exercise that right, but it gives her the option later to use it, if she chooses.

licklips.gif

Oops...Mario is right...it's 2 months for the application, not 3.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

if i was to goto court and become legal father would the conditions for a year extension be the same ?

would the 400K still need to be in a bank account for 2 months etc ?

looks like i too late for this 2 month rule anyway,

would i still be able to extend 60 days just by showing the birth cert. as before ?

the idea for getting married was to make me legal father and even if divorced later i'm still legal father.

thanks for the info.

licklips.gif You may not have enough time to get a marriage extension because I believe the 400K Baht needs to "seasoned" in your Thai bank account for 3 months before you apply for the extension.

The other financial route is to show a monthly income of 40,000 Bant equivalent...that would need to be certified by the U.K. embessy.

The embessy can give you all the details on a marriage extension...but just be aware this is a process...not a one-day thing.

And yes, it's a legal marriage...and it will I beieve a statement of legal ability to marry..(i.e. being either single or legally divorced or widowed from previous mzarriage).

Another point you might consider. You mentioned you nave a non O multi-entry visa? If so when does it expire?

Because if is for one year and expires on (just as an example) 15 May 2012...then you can do a border run on 14 May 2012, and re-enter that same day getting another 90 day "permitted to stay" stamp...which will let you stay in Thailand even after your visa expired for that 90 days. During that last 90 days you should have time to establish that bank account, and get the other paperwork required for your marriage extension.

You also should consider your daughter. If you can prove ypu are the father, then she has the right to be a U.K. citizen. She doen't have to choose to exercise that right, but it gives her the option later to use it, if she chooses.

licklips.gif

Oops...Mario is right...it's 2 months for the application, not 3.

hi,

my year ran out back in feb and i did what you suggested and got 15 months.

my daughter has uk birth registration cert. and uk passport already thanks.

looks like i maybe taking her to live in the u.k.

if i was to goto court and become legal father would the conditions for a year extension be the same ?

would i still be able to extend 60 days just by showing the birth cert. as before ?

the idea for getting married was to make me legal father and even if divorced later i'm still legal father.

thanks for the info.

There is no 2 month rule for parents of a Thai child.

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average

annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a

money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within

a year.

In other necessary circumstances, The Immigration

Commissioner or Deputy of Immigration Commissioner may

approve on case to case basis.

thanks for the info.

There is no 2 month rule for parents of a Thai child.

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average

annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a

money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within

a year.

In other necessary circumstances, The Immigration

Commissioner or Deputy of Immigration Commissioner may

approve on case to case basis.

would i be able to extend because of being a parent and to proov i'm legal father show the marriage cert. ?

or is it a case that i would need to petition in court for legal father to avoid the 2 months money sitting in a bank ?

thank you.

No the marriage certificate does not prove you were the father of a child born prior to marriage. But you can obtain 60 day extension to visit the new wife and that would provide time for money to season if you want to use marriage Thai wife extensions.

Actually, marrying the mother of the child does make you the legal fahter automatically, (although I don't know if you have to be on the birth certificate for that). It is one of the 3 ways in which you can legitimise the child:

1. go to the amphur

2 go to court

3. marry the mother

The marriage certificate itself will not proof that, but a letter from the amphur stating you are the legal fahter will.

so basically i can do the extension for 2 reasons either being married in which i have to put money in bank for 2 months ,

or being legal father and money only has to be shown at time of extension,

regards

If you can show 40,000 baht a month income you do not need the 400,000 in the bank for 2 months. IF you go to the UK consulate in CM for a letter confirming your income, please check the bottom of the letter, the consulate in Jomtein had a typed disclaimer on mine and the Thai Consulate in Kota Bharu would not accept it. However they did accept my K bank book as proof of income.

The British consulate nor the B/Embassy will issue you with a letter of affirmation you have to do that yourself. You can find an example on the embassy website + all the other paper work you will need. The Chiang Mai consulate is open from 9am till 11.30 and they will stamp the affirmation for you cost 3,250bt take's about 30 Min: next door to the consulate there's a shop that does the translation into Thai 300bt. They can also do the hole package expressed, if you go in before 10.30 they will have it all back by 3pm cost 1,600bt that include's the 800bt the Thai's charge for the express. And the 300bt translation.

You can go the next day to the Amper with all your bit's and get married. Cost for the married bit is 30bt.

Hope this help's.

Edited by fredob43

great info.

thanks everyone,

with hinesite i

so basically i can do the extension for 2 reasons either being married in which i have to put money in bank for 2 months ,

or being legal father and money only has to be shown at time of extension,

regards

If you can show 40,000 baht a month income you do not need the 400,000 in the bank for 2 months. IF you go to the UK consulate in CM for a letter confirming your income, please check the bottom of the letter, the consulate in Jomtein had a typed disclaimer on mine and the Thai Consulate in Kota Bharu would not accept it. However they did accept my K bank book as proof of income.

the 40k a month can i just pay 40k cash a month into my thai bank ?

how many months do they want to see it ?

i have been withdrawing an average of 50k a month from my u.k account with hinesite i should have put that money into a thai bank ?

i can transfer 400k if i have to.

An incoem of 40,000 a month is proven with tax docuemnts if from within Thaiand, with a letter confirming your income if the income is from abroad. your embassy decides what they accept as proof for the income letter.

There is no requirement to recieve the income in an account in Thailand.