New Teacher- 23Yrs Old Teaching In Bkk

New teacher- 23yrs old teaching in BKK

Hi there,

Im a 23 yr old guy from South Africa, new to BKK and currently searching for a teaching job. Questions:

1. I heard a rumour that because Im under 25yrs old I cannot work at a thai government school. Is this correct? Does it mean that I 100% cannot apply for any teaching positions at government schools in thailand?

2. I have no prior experience as a teacher, however I hold a linguistics degree from south africa and a Tesol qualification. What are my chances of getting a good job at a private International school in BKK with no actual prior teaching experience?

3. What sort of money per month could I expect to get for my first teaching job- approx?

Many thanks

No, I worked at a Thai Gov school at 23 (well I got hired at 23, turned 24 before the first day i actually taught)

I don't know enough about those schools to say 100% no, but you probably will not be getting into any top international school without either a BSED or a masters in your field. The no experience thing hurts a lot too.

Bangkok seems to be 30-60k starting and 70k+ at international schools.

I would say you could easily see 35-40k in BKK and 25-30k in cheaper provinces.

With a Bachelor's and no teaching experience, you can expect to start at 35,000 baht, in most of the major urban areas. I would not settle for less than that unless the package includes some very tantalizing extras--which isn't likely.

You are really not qualified for an International School. Remember, there are schools with 'International' in the name, but they are not affiliated with a particular country.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

2. I have no prior experience as a teacher, however I hold a linguistics degree from south africa and a Tesol qualification. What are my chances of getting a good job at a private International school in BKK with no actual prior teaching experience?

Chances at a private International school are pretty slim. What you need is experience. Good luck! jap.gif

1. I heard a rumour that because Im under 25yrs old I cannot work at a thai government school. Is this correct? Does it mean that I 100% cannot apply for any teaching positions at government schools in thailand?

20 years old.

None. Degree in Education, Grad. Dip. Ed. or PGCE with foreign teaching certification.

3. What sort of money per month could I expect to get for my first teaching job- approx?

30,000 - 35,000 in Bangers after you've shown teaching skills. Having a TESOL is one. Applying the gained knowledge is two.

• 6 months later...

A short note to give an update on this topic that I raised many months ago. My South African friend (whom I wrote this thread for) found work in bkk very easily despite not having any prior teaching experience.

I guess that reply is to cover your tracks for yourself having morphed into a 40+ year old on this thread.

http://www.thaivisa....un-in-the-oven/

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 2

A short note to give an update on this topic that I raised many months ago. My South African friend (whom I wrote this thread for) found work in bkk very easily despite not having any prior teaching experience.

I guess that reply is to cover your tracks for yourself having morphed into a 40+ year old on this thread.

http://www.thaivisa....un-in-the-oven/

laughing9.gif