Fmr Kasem Bundit University English Teacher Gareth Davies Gravely Ill In Piyavate Hospital.

Yme

I received this email from Gareths brother Mick today and posting here in case any of his work mates and friends might be reading TV.

Gareth was recently diagnosed with CREST syndrome (Scleroderma-autoimmunity to connective tissue), for which there is no cure.

"I am writing to make people aware of my brother Gareths situation.

Gareth Davies has been working in Bangkok as an English Teacher at Kasem Bundit University.

Working for the university Gareth has a full work permit and medical insurance and his paying tax/social.

Last Friday he took ill and was admitted to hospital with multiple organ failure. Subsequently we have discovered that the insurance provided by the university is grossly inadequate; further more the University has not been paying in to the social fund to allow free treatment/support in a government hospital.

Subsequently medical bills are accumulating at about 600 pounds 30,000 baht a day.. Have paid as much as I can but have now exhausted all my reserves. I was hoping to take him home but the doctors and airline will not let him fly unless he has doctors, heart medication and oxygen etc with him on the flight which will cost a lot…

The doctors believe he will need to be in hospital here in Bangkok for a month before he will be able to take a normal flight, and that is if there are no other complications.

Since arriving in Thailand I have been in constant communication with the British Embassy and the university, but neither can or are willing to help.

I am left with no alternative then, to ask if there is anyone who can help with this situation in anyway at all…Whether it be advice, or support no matter how small…

Thanks for all the support we’ve received from friends and students and especially to Nisa and the staff at Piyavate hospital who have been absolutely amazing.

I can be contacted on the following numbers: Thai +66 (0)8 70862628 or my UK number +44 (0)7972 718929 or please leave a message on Gareths or my Facebook

( Mick Davies )"

Edited by Mario2008
font size increased, request for money deleted

Have you ever considered that 30,000 baht a day might be a little bit too much?

Following comes from German doctors who helped a German guy after a motorcycle accident. The Sappasit hospital in Ubon Ratchathani (Isaan) is the best hospital in Thailand, affordable and with all equipment needed.Good luck for your brother. jap.gif

Edited by Mario2008
quoted text deleted as i increased the font size in original post

Thanks Sirachai, but I was posting this on behalf of Gareths brother and for the benefits of any of his colleagues.

I've been attempting to phone Mick but not getting a answer. It's really a matter for Mick to take up with the Ministry of Labour as from his letter it appears the University has been fraudulently collecting but not remitting the Social Security payments.

An Australian journalist friend told me last night after posting this that this is fairly common with Thai education institutes and that Mick should file a case with the Ministry of Labour who can force the university to cover all of the medical costs as these would have been covered if the social security had been paid. I think he's gonna stir the nest at the University today.

There's now some media attention on this matter and Mick said the reporter has been very helpful in getting some action from Thai authorities and the British Embassy. No one knows what the outcome for this will be yet but up until today he hadn't had a bath or shower for 4 days because the hospital said there was a chair in the bathroom and he should take himself there. From what I've been told the reporter rattled a few cages an they showered him, changed his brown stained sheets and got him some food he could eat.

If you look a the pictures he doesn't look 47, or fit enough to try and bluff his way onto a plane, yet today the hospital was telling him he is fit enough for discharge but they wouldn't give him a certificate to say he was fit enough to fly.

Leicester English teacher abandoned by Kasem Bundit University, Bangkok

Gareth Davies died yesterday morning at about 7am according to this story Leicestershire English teacher Gareth Davies dead – British ambassador defends lack of intervention

Gareth's brother, Mick, is calling for an inquiry into the way he was treated by Kasem Bundit University and the lack of action by the British Embassy Bangkok. He says he wasn't notified of the death by the embassy until 8.30pm Bangkok time, 2.30pm England time. Call for inquiry into death & treatment of Kasem Bundit University English teacher Gareth Davies by British Embassy Bangkok & employer

RIP Gareth

I'm not a Brit, but if I my embassy was so inactive in a situation such as this I would be ashamed, outraged and disgusted.

I knew Gareth but only become aware of his situation yesterday.

This is a shocking situation of neglect by not only Kasem Bundit but all also by both Thai and UK authorities.

It is not the first time that I have been told of employers deducting for Social Security but failing to pay in to SS.

Rest in peace, Garf... I pray that that you get more attention in the following months then you got in the past few weeks.

Gareth Davies died yesterday morning at about 7am according to this story Leicestershire English teacher Gareth Davies dead – British ambassador defends lack of intervention

Gareth's brother, Mick, is calling for an inquiry into the way he was treated by Kasem Bundit University and the lack of action by the British Embassy Bangkok. He says he wasn't notified of the death by the embassy until 8.30pm Bangkok time, 2.30pm England time. Call for inquiry into death & treatment of Kasem Bundit University English teacher Gareth Davies by British Embassy Bangkok & employer

I'm not a Brit, but if I my embassy was so inactive in a situation such as this I would be ashamed, outraged and disgusted.

RIP Gareth

Sorry to hear about the death of this man.

I just read the story on another subforum and however I'm not British,and I'm glad I'm not, I feel ashamed for the way the British ambassador handled this case,even after he was fully aware of the details.But there are more examples available of the way the British Embassy takes care of it's citizens in Thailand.

R.I.P.Gareth,I know you experienced a very hard time.