Bt100M For Thai Teachers To Brush Up English Skills Abroad

webfact

This smells like a typical shopping trip.....Ministry has bag of money to be spent. C9s in all the Educational divisions get a handout with the directive: "Improve the teachers' English skills with this money". C8s select the teachers for the trip. They choose the 5 in their area who can speak English well. Off they go on their 'study' trip. They spend the month touring Europe and Hey Presto! When they come back they can all speak English well! The operation is an outstanding success.

Meanwhile, there is a nearby city that is just teaming with native English speakers. They could send the teachers there for a while. Might be a bit cheaper.

I think it's called Bangkok, or something like that.

A Thai learn from a farang in their own country? Surely you jest....

Many flaws in the Government plan of teaching English:

- Is being a native speaker makes you a good English Teacher or is it just a craziness about skin tone? Why not use words like hire professional English teachers irrespective of nationality.

- Emphasizing on speaking only. If you are not a good reader and can not comprehend a paragraphs you can never attain a good understanding of English language.

- Thai is being used in Banks,super market,7-11,product labels.. everywhere. Why not create a environment of English first. At-least start with giving English receipts at 7-11/super markets and let people atleast learn words of daily use like washing powder,oil,knife...

Many flaws in the Government plan of teaching English:

- Is being a native speaker makes you a good English Teacher or is it just a craziness about skin tone? Why not use words like hire professional English teachers irrespective of nationality.

- Emphasizing on speaking only. If you are not a good reader and can not comprehend a paragraphs you can never attain a good understanding of English language.

- Thai is being used in Banks,super market,7-11,product labels.. everywhere. Why not create a environment of English first. At-least start with giving English receipts at 7-11/super markets and let people atleast learn words of daily use like washing powder,oil,knife...

You are assuming they want your suggestions. They don't. Thais learning English is a facade.

Edited by Markaew

Oh boy !, .... seems the first thing suchart/sakda need is a native english speaker to assist/advise them , with half the gov;t being chinese it would make sense to have at least one ''western head '' in there too as i can see so much wasted money and time resulting from the proposed plan as it is so naive

1; 1 Month is not long enough 2; there are many native speakers willing to teach in thailand if the gov;t make life easier for them 3; thais cant tell the difference from a strong sydney accent and a cockney one, niether would be ideal accents for pronunciation.4;will the exchange teachers be expected to play cards and drink loakoa with their hosts ? , take showers with a scoop and squat on a thai toilet in deepest isaan ? or will this only be for "the chosen few"? 5; using native english teachers in thailand is far better value as they also come with a western education, insisting they have a degree is a nonsense, i would put a tefl+'O' level education v thai degree all day and save the ministry millions, at least its recognised ! 6;the only thing the ministry will learn from the 30hr teaching course is that they have wasted another few million . 7;if a native english teacher comes to live here , will he be able to settle in his own home on his own plot of land without being locked up ??.......... food for thought , i could go on.........and on.....and on..........thailand wil be the loosers in the ASEAN pact ,.mark my words ,.......and i think they have left it too late in the day to catch up already . Pride comes before a fall, they need to take some advise , ...like yesterday .

Edited by osiboy

The idea of sending teachers overseas is not a bad one. A bit of motivation to use the language, some immersion, watching TV, shopping and actually having to use the language would go a very long way. The problem is, they need to be separated from other Thai speakers.

There also should be some structure to the program. Classes in a university setting would be a good start. A literature course and perhaps a writing class. Then plenty of everyday use of the language.

This 'program' has none of the requirements of being a program.

Other than the issue of food, I've known a few Thais who traveled abroad alone and did quite well.

During the summer my university has a large group of native speakers teach Thai high school teachers and a few elementary teachers from the south of thailand. The program is sponsored by the Rotary Club of Thailand. The teachers travel by bus/train to Bangkok and stay at a teacher's union hostel in central Bangkok. The teachers have classes 6 days a week, 9 hours a day. The teachers actually learn a lot and i can assure you the costs are substantially less than what it would cost for an international language course/junket abroad. They could use the savings to improve the schools--novel idea. But then the teachers wouldn't get their free junkets. That's all this is plain and simple.

"Meanwhile, Education Minister Suchart Tadathamrongvej is encouraging schools to seek eligible English-speaking foreigners to teach English, with the ministry giving them Bt10,000 per month to hire each teacher."

My school would be happy with 10 000 baht extra every month to help pay for me.

"Suchart added that he would help ease the regulations concerning the need for licences for foreign teachers."

Go for Suchart you have my vote!!!!!!!!

I don't think that's what he meant. I think he means 'pay them 10,000Baht a month'.

So how many properly qualified foreigners are going to work for 10,000Baht a month ?

On the other hand he seems to be suggesting that proper qualifications and training to teach English can be side stepped?

So what results is he expecting?

He means subsidise the schools with 10,000 baht/month for hiring an English teacher - this is not their final salary!!!

Does this mean that each teacher will roughly be allocated 100,000 baht to go and learn English in the school holidays? That seems very generous? Even if the 'exchange' teacher is going to come to Thailand, to erm, presumably learn Thai, then thats 50,000 baht for each Thai/Foreign teacher? Assuming Thai is useful outside Thailand, and it isn't a freebee holiday for foreign teachers? Also do other countries have a long holiday at the same time as Thailand? I don't think so? Europeans have the long holiday in the European summer time.

On the basis that the school year ends this week, is there enough time to organise all this? Sounds like it should be organised for next year, on the basis it will take some co-ordination? Long haul flights typically need to be booked 6 weeks in advance otherwise the price is very high?

Surely the Thai teachers should go to Asean countries that speak English well (Philippines/Malaysia/Singapore). This would make flights easier to book, cheaper and co-ordinating with foreign teachers much easier? Also the teachers would gain some valuable Asean experience and maybe the long holidays align?

Can I say this is a hasty and poorly thought out plan?

Or is this just another one of those Thai to English translated stories where the true story has been lost in translation?

Edited by MaiChai

Meanwhile, there is a nearby city that is just teaming with native English speakers. They could send the teachers there for a while. Might be a bit cheaper.

I think it's called Bangkok, or something like that.

And let's hope they'd use the word "teeming" in your first sentence.

Yep I just hate that when I'm talking to somebody and they say teaming instead of teeming. Makes my ears bleed, it does.

Can I blame apple's auto-correct?

Yep, let's blame the auto-correct. Sorry, but we were talking about English teachers so I figured some pedantry was in order.

The idea of sending teachers overseas is not a bad one. A bit of motivation to use the language, some immersion, watching TV, shopping and actually having to use the language would go a very long way. The problem is, they need to be separated from other Thai speakers.

There also should be some structure to the program. Classes in a university setting would be a good start. A literature course and perhaps a writing class. Then plenty of everyday use of the language.

This 'program' has none of the requirements of being a program.

Other than the issue of food, I've known a few Thais who traveled abroad alone and did quite well.

You're right. We live in PNG and it's been interesting seeing my wife (and the other Thai ladies she naturally mixes with) being "immersed" in English and how quickly their language (spoken and written) improves. Necessity is the mother of invention as they say.

On the other hand I despair of ever getting on top of written Thai.

I taught for 38 years in England. Since I came to Thailand, six years ago, I've gone into schools by invitation. I have yet to meet a Thai teacher of English whose spoken English is COMPREHENSIBLE. 'Me number 1 angit teach in sacoon.'

For a consideration I would help Thai teachers to pronounce such difficult words as: 'ice/rice/nice.'

Headteachers, I live near Pattaya.

With in a few ks of pattaya I can introduce you to 6 Thai English teachers

from 2 schools who can speak english quite well. Most have lived and studied os for a year or more.

Solly to destroy your stereotype.

O.T. This plan is only a junket and will be for a select few.

The Thai's could take Teaching English as a Second language course at Southen Illinois University and become some of the greatest English Teachers in the world. Would be inexpensive to do also because it is a lower cost area.

And Carbondale would be a great place to learn a little American culture. Right dab in the heartland of America. :-)

The purpose is help them brush up on their English. How will this happen? Will they take classes? Will there be some structure to the program? Will they just stay with a family for a few weeks?

Based on what is written, very poor planning. Very little bang for the buck.

All a load of spin why anyone believes a single word these idiots spout is beyond me .

This interests me a lot.

We run an English school in Canberra Australia and we have courses for teachers from Taiwan to come to Australia in July to learn/study English. The teachers stay at Homestay environment.

There is nothing stopping us in presenting the same course, or modifying it for teachers or professionals from Thailand.

Details of the course are here are on our website. I cannot post the link here (due to policy), but check pineviewcollege dot com and go to "study tours" and then click "english study tour for teachers"

We also pay 15% commission to agents who enrol students into our courses. This means that if you are in Thailand, or wherever, and you enrol students in our courses then you get 15% commission. If anyone can swing a deal with the Thai government and work on our behalf, then you'd receive the same level commission.

We have no contacts in Thailand nor do we understand their government processes - but we would be happy to work with people to try and secure any enrolments from this new government initiative - or from other avenues.

Thanks

Graham

Pine View College

There are plenty of qualified native speaking English teachers, retired or otherwise, already living in Thailand, many with English speaking Thai wives and families, who could provide this service in a homestay style environment and with a lot less hassle. That 100k baht budget will soon be eaten into with the cost of air fares and visa apllications at short notice. Just a thought, Khun Sadka.

Edited by bigbamboo

Waste of time and money because they are targeting the wrong people. The money ought to be spent on the university professors who still teach English students how to speak incorrectly, hence the majority of English teachers who can't speak the language properly.