Condos Off Nimmanhemin And Huay Kaew

amergin

Hello everyone,

my name is Marco and I will be moving to Chiang Mai next week.

I would like to find an apartment in the Western Chiang Mai area around Nimmanhemin, Huay Kaew road or Suthep. My budget is around 10-12 K monthly for a studio, one bedroom, with swimming pool (possibly with Internet but not mandatory). I have been lurking around the forums and checked some real estate agencies on Google and I came up with one name that seems to fit the profile: Hillside Condo 4.

Does anybody know this condo? What do you think about it? Are there better deals to be made and other apartments to consider? I would probably rent for not less then six months up to one year.

Hillside 4 is a great location. I don't think that you will find an apartment there with a separate bedroom for your budget, as most studios rent around 10k or more. Also your utilities in that building will be double the government rate because it it not billed directly.

You should come to town and walk the sois and go into the managemtn offices of other condos and see what is available. One condo that comes to mind is NakornPing -- it has a great location, it is a bit less expensive that Hillside, it has a small swimming pool, and the utilities are at government rates. Don't let the shabby looking lobby and hallways fool you--many of the units are renovated and quite nice, and if you are lucky, you could pick up an 80 sq. metre unit for around 12K.

Baan Thai on the west side of Nimmanhaemin is a rental-only building that also has a pool and is a little cheaper. But I agree with Shepsel. Because of the current air pollution, things are pretty quiet here. Show up, rent a room for a couple of nights and check out all the buildings you wan before making a decision.

Hello everyone. I agree when you say that I have to check the places by myself and that's what I will do when I get there, but I prefer to gather some info beforehand.

I found another place in the same area, which fits my budget and seems another good option. The name of the condo is Green Hill Place. I checked their website and it looks like a nice place. Anyone knows something about it?

Depends on taste, but Greenhills is clean, classy and quiet, even though quite central. I stayed there for 3 months and loved it. Great pool too. Try and get one on north side - but not west as too hot in afternoon. Hillside feels more like a mausoleum to me. But everyone differs, so stay in a GH for a few nights while you check them all out.

CBR250

The deal-breaker in the OP's requirements is the need for a swimming pool. I agree that Hillside 4 and Nakorn Ping condo are the best choices in the desired geography for the price. The Nakorn Ping condo pool is a little smaller than at Hillside 4, but they keep it very clean and the lack of deck furniture around the pool means that only serious swimmers use it. No kids playing Marco Polo.

If the OP has a motorcycle, then s/he should consider some of the newer condos on Canal Rd. Most of them have pools and aren't very far from Nimm/Huay Kaew.

Edited by NancyL

I live in that area and somewhat regret it. I'll be leaving once my lease is up.

The jets from the airport fly over you (very low and loud) several times a day, which I find to be annoying and from what I've read living so close to the airport is pretty unhealthy for several reasons. I wanted to get a little quiet thus the move up north and out of the city, but didn't take the planes take off and landing path into consideration when I signed the lease.

We also get an incredibly amount of black dust in our place. Be it from the main road or from the jets, it's the dirtiest place I've ever lived in and we have to clean the rooms twice a day. You will clean literally black filth off of everything if you have your windows open and are unlucky enough to have whatever it is come inside.

Having said all of that, many people seem to live in this area with no issues at all. Maybe after so long you get used to the noise and dirt.

If the OP has a motorcycle, then s/he should consider some of the newer condos on Canal Rd. Most of them have pools and aren't very far from Nimm/Huay Kaew.

Hello Nancy. I'll rent a motorbike as soon as I land.

Which condos are worth checking on Canal Road?

I live in that area and somewhat regret it. I'll be leaving once my lease is up.

The jets from the airport fly over you (very low and loud) several times a day, which I find to be annoying and from what I've read living so close to the airport is pretty unhealthy for several reasons. I wanted to get a little quiet thus the move up north and out of the city, but didn't take the planes take off and landing path into consideration when I signed the lease.

We also get an incredibly amount of black dust in our place. Be it from the main road or from the jets, it's the dirtiest place I've ever lived in and we have to clean the rooms twice a day. You will clean literally black filth off of everything if you have your windows open and are unlucky enough to have whatever it is come inside.

Having said all of that, many people seem to live in this area with no issues at all. Maybe after so long you get used to the noise and dirt.

This sounds like the "smuts" that covered everything in England during the Industrial Revolution.

My God, what is Chiang Mai coming to?

The enemy aren't just at the gates anymore, they've breached the walls.

If you're talking about Hill side on Huey Kaw Road, I know at least two rooms that were rent out for less than 8000 per month! (I'm not advertising here) Besides, the building is over 18 years old.

I though a studio room at hill side is only around 8000?

I don't every recall seeing one advertised for less than 10K. You might be able to negotiate something cheaper.

Sirithana Condominium is next door to Kad Suan Kaew and the Orchid Hotel. It doesn't have a pool, but the hotel pool is excellent, and only costs 1200 a month. That includes a fitness center membership. The location is excellent and rents are reasonable.

If you're talking about Hill side on Huey Kaw Road, I know at least two rooms that were rent out for less than 8000 per month! (I'm not advertising here) Besides, the building is over 18 years old.

I though a studio room at hill side is only around 8000?

I don't every recall seeing one advertised for less than 10K. You might be able to negotiate something cheaper.

I'm not surprised to learn some rooms at Hillside 4 are renting for under 10K, but I've never seen rooms there advertised for less than 10K. I think the rooms there are overpriced, you can get comparable studios at Nakornping for less.

If the OP has a motorbike and is willing to live on Canal Rd, then the best bet would be to rent for a month someplace (like The Dome) and go off every day for hunting expeditions on the motorbike, looking for a long-term place. The places on Canal Rd are new and haven't developed a reputation. Frankly, I think they all look rather sterile and bland, but what-the-hey I live in a 20 year old building near KSK! What do I know?

Yes, the black filth is a problem and I guess it's all in how much this sort of stuff bothers you. Today, after the rains, we found that our 24 hr wipe-down test looked almost like there wasn't a problem. Most of the horizontal surfaces of our furniture are covered with glass and it's interesting to inspect the wipe-down cloth each morning, It wasn't nearly this bad when we lived on the other side of town, but it looks like the end is in sight!

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are also looking for accommodation in Nimmanhemin and Huay Kaew areas. But we have a small lap dog - 5 1/2 kg (12 lbs), a papillon, very well behaved, clean, quiet, and cute! ...see photo...

Does anyone know which buildings accept small pets?

Thanks!

post-143564-0-83167900-1332137850_thumb.

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are also looking for accommodation in Nimmanhemin and Huay Kaew areas. But we have a small lap dog - 5 1/2 kg (12 lbs), a papillon, very well behaved, clean, quiet, and cute! ...see photo...

Does anyone know which buildings accept small pets?

Thanks!

Not only do you have to find a building that accepts dogs, but if you rent a condo you'll need a landlord who will accept them too.

No one really cares how cute your dog is. We gave up and rented a house.

Yes, the black filth is a problem and I guess it's all in how much this sort of stuff bothers you. Today, after the rains, we found that our 24 hr wipe-down test looked almost like there wasn't a problem. Most of the horizontal surfaces of our furniture are covered with glass and it's interesting to inspect the wipe-down cloth each morning, It wasn't nearly this bad when we lived on the other side of town, but it looks like the end is in sight!

I do believe we will be relocating after our lease is up do to this black filth that covers everything. I've never lived in such a filthy area before and there is no question our lungs are getting filled with it as well.

We're very disappointment with this area (Near Nimman & Huay Kaew) of CM because of the black filth. Our place gets so filthy you'd think we were living directly next door to a coal mine.