UK pensions

It doesn't affect me yet,but it's absolutely disgusting that any British Government can treat their Citizens,(who have actually paid into the system!)in this manner.

Especially with all the money their give away to corrupt Counties around the World,so they can buy new Lear Jets etc.

Interesting comment in the Telegraph this day which shows that U.K. state pensioners here in Thailand have in fact seen a 45% drop in the value of their pensions over the last ten years. As an aside we ex-pat O.A.P.'s account for just 4% of the total ex-pat state pensioners.

Expat pensioners worse off than they were a decade ago

http://www.telegraph.co.uk//finance/personalfinance/expat-money

What a useless article ! :( It makes no mention of the percentage of the overall pension costs to bring overseas pensioners in line, and -- more importantly -- it does not give the estimate of the annual extra cost to HMN once everyone is up-to-date. The percentages are tiny -- really !!! It also does not emphasis the fact that overseas pensioners represent far more votes than themselves - when family and friends are influenced by them knowing how the cheating politicians are propping up their ponzi scheme.

</rant> w00t.gif

Interesting comment in the Telegraph this day which shows that U.K. state pensioners here in Thailand have in fact seen a 45% drop in the value of their pensions over the last ten years. As an aside we ex-pat O.A.P.'s account for just 4% of the total ex-pat state pensioners.

Expat pensioners worse off than they were a decade ago

http://www.telegraph.co.uk//finance/personalfinance/expat-money

ok - what's 4% of the total cost of this years increment ? ;)

jpinx post # 990.

ok - what's 4% of the total cost of this years increment ? wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA8eASoOck

Probably about the total sum value of 4 farthings I reckon. ( I can just remember spending farthings circa 1947 ish) whistling.gif

220px-British_farthing_1951_obverse.png

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

jpinx post # 990.

ok - what's 4% of the total cost of this years increment ? wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA8eASoOck

Probably about the total sum value of 4 farthings I reckon. ( I can just remember spending farthings circa 1947 ish) whistling.gif

You must be really old then. I was only 3 in 1947.

jpinx post # 990.

I am also really old I can still remember spending farthings around 1954..The only place taking farthings then was the local baker shop.

I believe many loaves were still priced with a farthing as the last unit..

The tails side of a farthing was the picture of a wren..Small bird .

Edited by for real

For anyone whose 55 and looking to take Lump Sums out of their Pensions be aware that the Life Companies are nowhere near ready to dole it out !!

Two of the biggest Standard Life and Friends Life (formally Provident) have not even been instructed as to what tax to withhold let alone having printed relevant applications forms for customers under new legislation

Both crews gave the same answer virtually identical "Ring back after April 6th and hopefully we'll be able to help you more"......!!

and preferably with a stake through his heart, just to make certain ! vampire.gif.pagespeed.ce.503w77X5K-BtnYe

I think you are being hard on one chap rather than the rest of the cross party ilk, a single ticket to Antarctica would be more appropriate, where they can have a 2nd go without interfering with our lives. I find it hard in recent times to think of one thing they did on my behalf and am I alone with that thought?

bild766 #992..

Not that ancient hatched out October 1945, but I have an excellent memory and can recall a number of moments from my very early years.

It will not be long before the Foreign Aid budget has eclipsed the Defence budget and that should tell you all you need to know about the current batch of politicians ( people who cannot get a proper job but feel they have the right to govern you and the country). Defence of the Realm is the first priority, fact. Soon it will be consigned to history if the current batch are left to fight over who is in charge. Years of broken promises dismays me. Whichever way you look it looks like another coalition, I just hope the right to get together and make a change for the better. We are lucky we are not there to have to abide by it.

"defense of the realm' by that i presume u mean the armed forces?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It will not be long before the Foreign Aid budget has eclipsed the Defence budget and that should tell you all you need to know about the current batch of politicians ( people who cannot get a proper job but feel they have the right to govern you and the country). Defence of the Realm is the first priority, fact. Soon it will be consigned to history if the current batch are left to fight over who is in charge. Years of broken promises dismays me. Whichever way you look it looks like another coalition, I just hope the right to get together and make a change for the better. We are lucky we are not there to have to abide by it.

"defense of the realm' by that i presume u mean the armed forces?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes I most certainly do along with the security services, but it the armed froces that have taken cut after cut and given more and more to do by these people in power. They are happy though it wouls seem to keep increasing the amount they give away to other countries who just fritter it away or have a good time at our expense and its just not right.

In cae you wonder I am very proud of our armed forces, well worth more than the 2% we spend on them.

• Like 1

From the BBC News website this morning

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-31761532

quote "

At a campaign event in Yorkshire, the Labour leader set out his offer to pensioners, saying David Cameron cannot be trusted to deliver for them.

Labour will maintain the "triple lock" on the state pension, which ensures annual increases of at least 2.5%.

But he made a new guarantee that Labour will protect the incomes of the vast majority of pensioners.

"Labour has a better plan for protecting pensioners," he said.

"We have taken a difficult decision to restrict winter fuel payments for the very richest older people, the top 5% with retirement incomes that make them higher-rate taxpayers.

"But today I can announce that is the only change we are planning in the system."

Quote from an expat pensioner living in Thailand. "Yeah, right" That will happen the week after it snows on my garden here in Thailand in March. Yesterday it was 39C.

165064_128427217220473_1825598_n.jpg?oh=

Several of our supportive MP's in Westminster have tabled a new Early Day Motion (EDM) concerning frozen pensions.
The EDM calls for an approach to unfreezing by uprating from existing levels (rather than bringing everyone up to the current pension amount). This is the same approach that was proposed by Steve Webb in 2004, when he was in opposition.
While it is not what we have been asking for, it is at least a positive step forward.
The EDM will expire when Parliament recesses, which will likely be the 3rd week in March. We suggest you email your MP, acknowledging that it is a step in the right direction, and asking them to sign the EDM. This would need to be done as soon as possible, as there is only a small window of time for MPs to sign the EDM.
  • Like 2

For anyone whose 55 and looking to take Lump Sums out of their Pensions be aware that the Life Companies are nowhere near ready to dole it out !!

Two of the biggest Standard Life and Friends Life (formally Provident) have not even been instructed as to what tax to withhold let alone having printed relevant applications forms for customers under new legislation

Both crews gave the same answer virtually identical "Ring back after April 6th and hopefully we'll be able to help you more"......!!

Hargreaves Lansdown have already asked me if I would like to move to 'New drawdown', no charge.

And asked for my P45 so they could calculate the tax for withdrawals.

Hargreaves Lansdown have already asked me if I would like to move to 'New drawdown', no charge.

I have subsequently commented on the New Thread re same subject that Standard Life have got their act together and you can apply online from April 6th. They likewise will provide a P45

They suggest it will be 5 days to receipt of monies.........Not sure why the relevance of asking you for P45 ?? Its a new tax year and anything over the tax free element is going to be hit for basic rate (dependant on size of Pot)

Edited by Chivas

This is a very interesting read and it gives an insight ito the minds of many of the mealy mouthed barsteward people called politicians in the UK. It also shows how a few good people ARE fighting for us expat pensioners.

Quote "It has been this way for 60 years" and it is inferred we WON'T change it so there.

Hopefully there will be a very large wake call up during the elections in a couple of months.

• Like 1

I have subsequently commented on the New Thread re same subject that Standard Life have got their act together and you can apply online from April 6th. They likewise will provide a P45

They suggest it will be 5 days to receipt of monies.........Not sure why the relevance of asking you for P45 ?? Its a new tax year and anything over the tax free element is going to be hit for basic rate (dependant on size of Pot)

P45 shows you have no other employer.

It is interesting to note that the descendant of the charlatan Freud, Lord Freud or should it be Lord Fraud is one of the prime movers to constructing obstacles to any proposed ex pat pension increase.

Those 50 satang intellectuals are indeed expert a understanding that which is good for the lower orders both intellectually and financially.

Nice to see that the parasite has no qualms about leeching of off the taxpayer whilst feathering its own nest.

• Like 2

This is a very interesting read and it gives an insight ito the minds of many of the mealy mouthed barsteward people called politicians in the UK. It also shows how a few good people ARE fighting for us expat pensioners.

Quote "It has been this way for 60 years" and it is inferred we WON'T change it so there.

Hopefully there will be a very large wake call up during the elections in a couple of months.

While liking what you say very much as i have said before ,there are two hopes and one is called Bob .

i claudius, on 13 Mar 2015 - 10:09, said:
billd766, on 13 Mar 2015 - 06:12, said:
Expattaff1308, on 12 Mar 2015 - 20:35, said:

While liking what you say very much as i have said before ,there are two hopes and one is called Bob .

Yeah, but he died 12 years ago, so that leaves 'no hope'.

Maybe 'faith' and 'charity' stand a chance.

P45 shows you have no other employer.

Wont make any difference. Supply it or not the Life Companies are going to deduct basic rate on the portion liable for tax and you deal with the Revenue thereafter........From the Horses mouth since I posted early yesterday and day before