Property Agents

raybarrell

Can anyone please recommend an efficient property agent in Pattaya, that actually professionally markets your property, instead of playing at it?

I have tried a couple of Agents and they do not seem to have a clue as to how to market ones property! It is no wonder it is so hard to sell a properrty in Thailand!

From a renters point of view I contacted quite a few recently, the only decent one who gave a toss was Pattaya Realty, the Thai guy there was great and couldn't be more helpfull. They were the ones we went with. If anyone wants to know who the crap ones were just pm me and I wil let you know all about them to save you wasting your time.

Edited by TexasRanger
see rule 11

Efficient property agents in Pattaya cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

As already said, best to do it yourself if you are local and have the time...signs at Foodland, Friendship, and Big C (aka Carrefour), ads on Thai-Visa, Craig's List, Ebay (a friend of mine sold a remote Philippine resort on Ebay), etc. If your place shows well and priced realistically, it will sell if the word gets out.

Many of the places marketed by agents have been on their books for literally years. The truth is they don't sell because they are unrealistically priced, often dramatically.

The reason for that is three fold:

First, the sellers don'e seem to understand the price they dream of and the price they can achieve are two totally different things. There is still a sort of assumption that briocks and mortar always goes up, which isn;t true and certainly not true in the resale market.

Second, the transaction costs and expenses of owning a property here are ver6 high and owners feel they need a high selling price just to breakeven on their original purchase price.

Third, the agents need a big mark up for themselves, I don't know how much, but something must be paying for so many of them to keep offices, hire staff, pay thenselves a salary and drive an SUV around....the transaction volume is low so the mark up must be high.

If you sell your self then you still need to be realistic, even without the agents fee. So base your asking price on what is achieveable not what you dream of.

• Like 1

Maybe a good time for a dash for the door. Reported in other threads on Thai-visa the Thai authorities are now taking a look at property transactions (again) at the farang population,maybe bluff,maybe not,but for sure one day they will not be bluffing

Stu Sutton at Jomtien Properties...he has been here for many years and is an honest,straightfoward guy who isnt pushy and is very knowledgeable of the market. His office is located on Thappraya Rd at the entrance to View Talay 2 across from the Jomtien Complex

all the running down of various long term estate agents may feel warranted but as someone who used to work in the business out there I can say one thing that really does stick in my mind.

owners of properties can be ignorant to any advice that you offer...in fact they would get downright offended if you told them you didn't think their property was worth as much as they were expecting, this seems pretty much confined to the various tourist areas of Thailand I worked in from my point of view as I did not encounter it after I left there, in fact it was quite the opposite and the sellers who wanted to sell would ask what can they do to shift their property quickly? incentives to the agent to get what they want and need quickly were spoken about and once successful they were more than happy to keep their word.

I had owners whilst I was taking people for viewing in Pattaya trying to slip them their number and do all the call me signs to the prospect whilst they thought I wasn't looking, expect me to pay for advertising campaigns on their behalf to then change their minds when I did have someone interested as they thought they had under priced the property as interest had been shown too quick....and then you got the local ex-pat know it all or worse still Barry the bar owner who has advised them from his bar stool and whilst they are spending money in his bar that he knows someone who will buy it and can sell it for them....

Thank god I am not in that industry anymore wai.gif

• Like 1

I work in Pattaya and occasionally find a house or condo I am interested in to buy... When I walk in to a few of the real estate agents, I do not get good customer service. I think part of the problem is that these sales agents get so many "tourists" that are not serious. But you would think when I inform them I have live in Pattaya for 7 years and the place of my employment, they would hop out of their chair (and quit eating their Tom Yum) and help me out. Nope. I think part of the problem with some of the agents is getting the correct sales person.

• Like 2

Alan Bolton

I did a purchase via Alan and it was a good experience. He helped me the whole way through. Very professional and knows the area. He's taking a bit of time off, but the others guys in the office are good also. Still talking to one about a potential condo investment.

I've dealt with David Grey and Sabina at East Coast (in their office at Jomtien Complex Condo) for many years. They are both honest and very helpful. Highly recommended.

I met David and he is a very nice guy.

My best friend is an agent back in the US. All the things you complain about here are the same stuff they complain about back home. No different.

I guess it must be hit and miss, Paul at PattayaRealty on the other hand was on the ball from the beginning and stay with it until we got our perfect place. Maybe these places get a lot of time wasting emails but they really should take each enquiry seriously, word of mouth referals are better than advertising. The other thing I noticed about one main agents website is he keeps sold and already rented properties on his site, and i don't just mean for a day or so, for months. My friend was working overseas so he used the site to make a shortlist and came back at the end of the week to find they were all unavailable and had been since before he even started looking. This kind of stuff just annoys potential buyers/renters.

Edited by Rimmer
Sponsor bashing

Alan Bolton

I did a purchase via Alan and it was a good experience. He helped me the whole way through. Very professional and knows the area. He's taking a bit of time off, but the others guys in the office are good also. Still talking to one about a potential condo investment.

I've dealt with David Grey and Sabina at East Coast (in their office at Jomtien Complex Condo) for many years. They are both honest and very helpful. Highly recommended.

I met David and he is a very nice guy.

My best friend is an agent back in the US. All the things you complain about here are the same stuff they complain about back home. No different.

I've dealt with Alan for the last 18 years for buying and selling condos and he's never disappointed and alwyas had a lead no other has had,

Also met David from East Coast and he seems an honest guy.