The "Sun Outage" Warning From True Vision

surayu

True Vision decided to interrupt normal trasmissions with a warning that their broadcasting would be interrupted by some natural occurring event, they deliberately achieved this interruption of service for almost 10 minutes.

I guess that to carry on as normal and show the message at the bottom of the screen would have been too much for them, after all, if a problem it's been expected to happen, then it's better to make sure it really happen by creating it by yourself, so no ones loses faces, great True Vision! truly thai clap2.gif

post-73039-0-26588400-1331707387_thumb.j

post-73039-0-72515100-1331707479_thumb.j

Perhaps they were showing the message because there was a sun outage - Doh!!....

Quite likely as I saw the message about the expected outages scrolling across the bottom of the screen a few days ago.

I have seen these messages across the bottom of my screen many times - but have never been watching the TV when it actually happens.

What I don't understand (if this message is displayed when a sun outage takes place) is how they can manage to transmit the message, but not the programme?

But, I'd be the first to admit I'm a technical ignoramus!

Edit - I've noticed that since my old 'box' gave up the ghost and True Visions replaced it with the new version, I lose all programmes whenever it rains moderately. With my old box it took a real downpour to stop programming. Has anyone else noticed this?

I'm a touch concerned as the F1 season is about to start and I will get seriously bad-tempered if a light shower results in my signal being stopped the way it is happening now!

Edited by F1fanatic

Perhaps they were showing the message because there was a sun outage - Doh!!....

Quite likely as I saw the message about the expected outages scrolling across the bottom of the screen a few days ago.

What I don't understand (if this message is displayed when a sun outage takes place) is how they can manage to transmit the message, but not the programme?

I don't know, but as it occurred on the BBC World News Channel this morning for about ten minutes while the Thai channels were still running, I assume it is some problem affecting the transmission from the BBC to wherever it is received in Thailand.

This happens twice a year, march and September irrespective of sun activity and is caused by earth receiving station satellite and the sun being in a line, ie result of geography. The suns normal radiation overwhelms the earth station. True usually shows the caption posted by surayu during an outage. Programs are received from satellites in different geostationary orbits and line up with the sun and earth station at various times, therefore not all channels are affected at the same time.

More info http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Sun_outage

Edit.. to say that. again due to geometry sun outage can only basically occur between the tropics. (cancer and Capricorn).

In the UK, for example, the sun is too far south to line up.

Edited by terryq

Results from http://www.satellite-calculations.com/SUNcalc/SUNcalc.htm

for the Thaicom satellite (and position Bangkok).

So from March 18 all should be over.

Next trouble time will be Sep 25 to Oct 2.

(all based on results according to the mentioned website)

Predicted Outage| Start | End | Duration| Start | End

Date | UTC | UTC | | PC Local| PC Local

mm/dd/yyyy |hh:mm:ss| hh:mm:ss|mm:ss | hh:mm:ss| hh:mm:ss

--------------------|-----------|------------|-----------|------------|------------

03/11/2012 | 07:06:33 | 07:14:33 | 08:00 | 14:06:33 | 14:14:33

03/12/2012 | 07:04:58 | 07:15:33 | 10:35 | 14:04:58 | 14:15:33

03/13/2012 | 07:04:08 | 07:15:58 | 11:50 | 14:04:08 | 14:15:58

03/14/2012 | 07:03:40 | 07:15:50 | 12:10 | 14:03:40 | 14:15:50

03/15/2012 | 07:03:37 | 07:15:17 | 11:40 | 14:03:37 | 14:15:17

03/16/2012 | 07:04:07 | 07:14:17 | 10:10 | 14:04:07 | 14:14:17

03/17/2012 | 07:05:16 | 07:12:31 | 07:15 | 14:05:16 | 14:12:31

I have seen these messages across the bottom of my screen many times - but have never been watching the TV when it actually happens.

Edit - I've noticed that since my old 'box' gave up the ghost and True Visions replaced it with the new version, I lose all programmes whenever it rains moderately. With my old box it took a real downpour to stop programming. Has anyone else noticed this?

I'm a touch concerned as the F1 season is about to start and I will get seriously bad-tempered if a light shower results in my signal being stopped the way it is happening now!

I used to get the same problems with bad weather 20 years ago with Sky in the UK, perhaps the technology they are using here is also 20 years old? The problem does not seem to happen any more in the UK.

I used to get the same problems with bad weather 20 years ago with Sky in the UK, perhaps the technology they are using here is also 20 years old? The problem does not seem to happen any more in the UK.

Apparently the 'new' HD set top boxes are the old Sky ones that didn't work very well from what I've read on these pages.

Ah ah Nocturn, how funny you are eh??

I am not frustrated, i am just having a laugh at this and wanted to share it, that's all, aren't we in the "land of smiles" of some sorts? biggrin.png

PattayaParent -

Thanks for that. I'll contact True Visions and ask them to replace my new 'HD' box with a working 'old' box.

I somehow suspect I'll be told "cannot" - but its worth a try.

'Phoned them and was told "nobody else has a problem with the new HD box".

Fair enough, but she added "phone us when you have a problem". Believe me, I will! laugh.png Until they get fed-up enough to do something about it. And yes, I do know that it will be a long wait... mad.gif