Ed Visa And Permenant Residency

Hi, two questions that maybe someone has info on:

Next month I will renew my non-immigrant ED student visa for the third consecutive time in three years i.e now renewed each year for three years. I was wondering if this qualifies me to apply for a permenant resident visa? In addition, I have the government Bo Hok certificate in Thai. Some people tell me that this greatly facilitates non-immigrant visa applications. I am not sure if this is because I have the certificate or the fact that I can speak fluent Thai? !! I am a 25 yr old Australian and currently study at Chula.

Secondly, has any one heard about the new regulations for Australian passport holders under the FTA which is to be ratified in June? Apparently all Aussies, whether business people or teachers, students etc can use the express visa centre, will need less documentation than other nationalities when applying for work permits etc and can apply for a work permit at the thai embassy in Canberra before going to Thailand. This is on the DFAT website. Sounds to good to be true or what?

I've been told by Thai immigration and by a Thai immigration attorney that to apply for PR you not only need 3 years of non-immigrant visas but also 3 years on a work permit.

Baw 6 certification might help later on with Thai nationality, but is not supporting evidence for PR, from what I understand. I speak Thai at the uni level (I lecture in Thai at colleges & universities around the country), and my lawyer tells me it will have no bearing on my PR application.

Don't know about the Aussie news. Last time I was at the One-Stop Visa and Work Permit Center, all foreigners using it were either BOI participants or journos.