Ten Things You Will Never Hear In Thailand.........

theblether

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is an extremely entertaining thread. big thanks to necronx99 for consolidating!

but... here's a small "counter"episode which happened a number of rainy seasons ago when i was a tourist in Pattaya, age mid 40s, hair completely grey.

venue: Best Friend Bar, Beach Road

weather: drizzle with intermittent heavy rain

time: ~20.00 hrs

me to bargirl: why do you look angry today? huh.png

bargirl: habb lain too mutt mad.gif

me: but rain is nice, much cooler, air cleaner smile.png

bargirl: no falang come to bar. stay all hotel. annoyed.gif

me: what about me? i'm not falang? huh.png

bargirl: oh you same same Papa saai.gif

me: w00t.gif

the story goes on but i'm not at liberty to reveal more as Mrs Naam reads Thaivisa once in a while.

Good story, Naam. I can relate.

Also, another congrats to necronx99 for consolidating

Sales assistant - "You bought these shoes 5 minutes ago and the heel has broken off already !? That's terrible, here's your money back"

I didn't even bother trying; instead I went to a shop selling a British brand...

Shopper - " I went to look at televisions in Tesco-Lotus today, but there were only 2 sales assistants in the electrical dept and they were busy with the other 2 customers"

Shopper- "I went to Tesco-Lotus today and every check-out was open"

Shopper- "I went to Tesco-Lotus today and not one aisle was blocked by an abandoned shopping trolley/shelf fillers/ staff having a chat"

• Like 1

Necron your a star.....shall we make it into a book then? The Thaivisa handbook......I think we should have a poll

I would dare say that should this thread go on for a while, enough material for several coffee table books would spew forth. Broken down by genre, such as:

Things a Thai policeman would never say

Things a bar girl would never say

101 things to do with a bowl of som tum

• Like 1

Oh yea, forgot one.

Wife..."You want some money"

cheesy.gif

Seriously...........we all joke about the Pattaya Flying Squad, but if your average Thai wife wanted to do away with her farang husband that's all she would have to say.

We would all expire with shock biggrin.png

• Like 1

WOW! you have such low esteem for Thai people , that is scary! really!

He just said he personally has never seen Thais reading a book. If you hang out in the "right" circles that may very well be the case. I have been in hundreds of relatively poor Thai homes where the only books present are from school.

I don't think anyone seriously thinks "Thais don't read" in the sense of "at all". What we're saying - and I'd be willing to bet a lot this would be born out by objective evidence - is that Thais don't read much relative to our own countries, both purely regarding quantity, and that the "quality" of what they read is generally very low/lightweight/immature.

Of course there are exceptions - out of those who have some level of tertiary education, I'm sure there are somewhat higher proportions. But of course these percentages are also much lower than "back home".

Let's try this - take the top 10% of say the UK in intelligence and education, and compare their reading habits to the top 10% here in Thailand. Are you trying to say that you think they'd be comparable?

Nota bene: This isn't a negative statement about Thais from a genetic or racial POV, just pointing out something that in our opinion needs work if Thailand wants to reach the level of development it desires in the future.

as for the nobel prize nomination of Pira it was in 1990 for his novel moosoon country ... and I doubt it would be written on all his books and biographies if it was not true !

I think it's just blatant marketing promotion myself, and the fact remains that even if it's true, such a nomination isn't a reflection of the quality of his writing, only of the social/academic status of the person with the power to nominate a fellow Thai for national promotion purposes.

I'm not saying they aren't well-written books, just that the claim to "Nobel status" is laughable based on a nomination (which can't even be verified), until the prize is actually awarded.

• Like 2

Oh yea, forgot one.

Seriously...........we all joke about the Pattaya Flying Squad, but if your average Thai wife wanted to do away with her farang husband that's all she would have to say.

We would all expire with shock

To be fair, a little bit of reality to counter-balance the exaggerations here:

both I and several of my friends have received outright gifts of money from our female significant other. My ex-wife contributed B20K toward our son's school fees last term, although she has no legal or other obligation to do so - it was out of the blue, I didn't even ask her for it. Every time she comes to visit, she contributes at least 500 or a 1000 toward food (which these days can last us a week).

I have also been repaid loans to Thai girls, even ones on the game (admittedly only a minority of the latter category, and then mostly taken in trade).

I have also borrowed money from bargirls (and of course paid them back).

WOW! you have such low esteem for Thai people , that is scary! really!

He just said he personally has never seen Thais reading a book. If you hang out in the "right" circles that may very well be the case. I have been in hundreds of relatively poor Thai homes where the only books present are from school.

I don't think anyone seriously thinks "Thais don't read" in the sense of "at all". What we're saying - and I'd be willing to bet a lot this would be born out by objective evidence - is that Thais don't read much relative to our own countries, both purely regarding quantity, and that the "quality" of what they read is generally very low/lightweight/immature.

Of course there are exceptions - out of those who have some level of tertiary education, I'm sure there are somewhat higher proportions. But of course these percentages are also much lower than "back home".

Let's try this - take the top 10% of say the UK in intelligence and education, and compare their reading habits to the top 10% here in Thailand. Are you trying to say that you think they'd be comparable?

Nota bene: This isn't a negative statement about Thais from a genetic or racial POV, just pointing out something that in our opinion needs work if Thailand wants to reach the level of development it desires in the future.

as for the nobel prize nomination of Pira it was in 1990 for his novel moosoon country ... and I doubt it would be written on all his books and biographies if it was not true !

I think it's just blatant marketing promotion myself, and the fact remains that even if it's true, such a nomination isn't a reflection of the quality of his writing, only of the social/academic status of the person with the power to nominate a fellow Thai for national promotion purposes.

I'm not saying they aren't well-written books, just that the claim to "Nobel status" is laughable based on a nomination (which can't even be verified), until the prize is actually awarded.

Excellent post if i may say so.

I did make efforts to say my post was not trying to be critical but he was obviously just being a silly little fella.

Edited by carmine
  • Like 1

Oh yea, forgot one.

We would all expire with shock

both I and several of my friends have received outright gifts of money from our female significant other. My ex-wife contributed B20K toward our son's school fees last term, although she has no legal or other obligation to do so - it was out of the blue, I didn't even ask her for it. Every time she comes to visit, she contributes at least 500 or a 1000 toward food (which these days can last us a week).

I have also been repaid loans to Thai girls, even ones on the game (admittedly only a minority of the latter category, and then mostly taken in trade).

I have also borrowed money from bargirls (and of course paid them back).

Hello there,

actually my wife owns a large restaurant and 10 apartments that she rents out monthly.She often gives me money. My birthday...full set of Callaway golf clubs...not cheap. Just love this thread and i find it easy to take the p*ss a bit. Sense of humour also helps me along!

Cheers jap.gif

OK Blether I havent finished yet......just the simple act of my going to and from work observing life in the street awakens my sense of humour and power of observation which I simply have to post in this topic...in fact you have caused me to carry a notebook and pen with me to jot down stuff lest I forget some of the "ten things you wont hear"

You seriously have to consider putting these postings into "coffee table" book form with cartoons......along the "Far Side" theme...but unique to Thailand.

Big thanks to necronx99 for summarising thus far....cheers and thanks.

Police officer after an accident on a pedestrian crossing to the driver that hit a street walker:-

"didn't you see "The Zebra Crossing""

Driver

"you are <deleted>-ing me, there are no Zebras crossing the streets of Thailand.

Pedestrian one: I’ve been waiting here for five minutes to cross the road

Pedestrian two: There’s a zebra crossing further down the road.

Pedestrian one: Well I hope he’s having more luck than I’m having!

Winwai.gif

Edited by Kan Win
  • Like 2

Thai bus driver to his Ticket clicker:

Driver:...Now just put that bunch of flowers in the middle of my window slightly to the right of the centre strip.

Ticket clicker:...yea but hey thats now going to block out your entire forward vision:

Driver: Yes it will.... but what you dont understand is that because of the natural sway of the bus as we travel gaps appear between the amulets, bunches of flowers, other crap thats hanging down, including your handbag, and it provides enough time to allow me to both see and steer this 30 tonne bus...so dont concern yourself.

Thai University Examination Official to student:

..you failed miserably...but I have given you a pass.....

• Like 1

Thai Manufacturer of those packaged green mosquito coils:

...yes we acknowledge that it is almost impossible to seperate the 2 coils from each other without breaking them....but rest assured we have our Research and Development team working on a solution.....in fact after 6 months of investigation by our R and D team...we have a solution and will commence packaging the coils individually

• Like 2

To be fair, that's exactly what they are...........exaggerations..........and occasional tall tale.

I once had a bar girl pay me for services rendered as I was so good in bed happy.png

• Like 1

OK Blether I havent finished yet......just the simple act of my going to and from work observing life in the street awakens my sense of humour and power of observation which I simply have to post in this topic...in fact you have caused me to carry a notebook and pen with me to jot down stuff lest I forget some of the "ten things you wont hear"

You seriously have to consider putting these postings into "coffee table" book form with cartoons......along the "Far Side" theme...but unique to Thailand.

Big thanks to necronx99 for summarising thus far....cheers and thanks.

Thanks very much...............keep them coming and I will toss a couple of ideas around in a few days time. We'll see if we can make something of this thread.

'10. Silence...Silence is a criminal offense in Thailand'

oh yeah?...then those of us that have endured THE SILENT TREATMENT are entitled to prosecute at will...

'silent today are we?...you shall regret that me darling...' (a small, cringing brown woman with a Vincent Price figure towering menacingly...)

http://www.google.co...9QEwBA&dur=4344

'10. Silence...Silence is a criminal offense in Thailand'

oh yeah?...then those of us that have endured THE SILENT TREATMENT are entitled to prosecute at will...

'silent today are we?...you shall regret that me darling...' (a small, cringing brown woman with a Vincent Price figure towering menacingly...)

http://www.google.co...9QEwBA&dur=4344

Longest stretch of silent treatment to date is 1 hour. That's after 10 years together. She cracks 1st then says "Oh I forgot, I now want speak with you" lol