Foreign-Owned Thailand

webfact

Foreign-owned Thailand

BANGKOK: -- Other than the issues of land ownership and public land encroachment problems, another serious problem is the hoarding of Thai land by foreigners. This issue was brought to light during a seminar organized by the Senate on land ownership frauds in which many foreigners, by whatever means, are allowed to own real estate properties in the country.

According to Ombudsman Sriracha Charoenpanich, a third of all the land in country, approximately 100 million rai, is now owned by foreigners through economic and legal loopholes.

After the 1997 financial crisis and the drive to promote direct foreign investments, any foreigner, in possession of more than one million U.S. dollar in assets in Thailand, is permitted to own real estates in Thailand. It is unsettling that up to 90 percent of land along Ban Phe Beach in Rayong Province are now under foreign ownership. Meanwhile, about 30 percent of prime real estates in some popular beach towns such as Pattaya or Hua Hin are now owned by non-Thais. The similar trend could be seen elsewhere in Phuket Province and Koh Samui Island. Foreigners could easily own Thai land through marriages with Thai citizens or nominee companies.

A law expert of the National institute of Development Administration believes that the problem will be more severe, especially after the formation of the ASEAN Economic Community om 2015. Foreign investors may try to exploit the legal loopholes to buy up prime real estates. Thailand must gear up and integrate its enforcement agencies to be more effective. The real estate laws need to be revised with more strict penalties in place and the foreigners who break them must be deported out of the country.

The problem of proxy land ownership by non-citizens must be addressed soon before a large chunk of the country falls under foreign ownership. The laws have to be modified to stop real estate ownership frauds in order to preserve Thailand for our future generations.

Translated and Rewritten by Kongkrai Maksrivorawan.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-03-15

footer_n.gif

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some Thais who bought a vineyard and castle in Europe , they could buy it without any problem , where is the problem for foreigner to own lands in here ...Its time to grow up and stop to believe the bad white people want to own everything .... so I would ask this question : What about Thais who own lands abroad ? shall we ask our government to make a law just for Thais who buy lands in my country? I dont think so .....

• Like 2

All this is, is laying the foundations so the Powers That Be can get their hands on this land for their own means while claiming to be acting in the "National Interest".

Sadly the population in general are so kept in the dark that they'll swallow it all and think "Ombudsmen" like this chap are heroes.

• Like 2

In a country with a real press, this muppet would have his story and figures ripped apart (and the reasons behind such a statement protrayed and villified) - but in Thailand, where you can go to jail for saying the truth about someone and embarrassing them, anyhting that is said by the powers that be just get regurgatated verbatum by the media.

• Like 1

This idea is clearly a lie perpetuated by those in power to turn criticism against them to a scapegoat; is it no surprise that that scapegoat is "foreigners?"

But I'm sure most Thais will be wise enough to see through the BS...................NOT!!

Quite predictable and unimaginative; two concepts which describe Thailand and its peoples well.

So foreigners own 30%, the military 20%, state-owned enterprises 20%, the Crown has another 20% and temples have the remaining 10%.

Wow! The disenfranchised Thai has bugger all after all!

It's all smoke and mirrors anyway as land area is a 2-dimensional premise whereas what is built on the land is a 3-dimensional construct. That's why you can have thousands of people shoehorned into government blocks or hundreds of foreigners jammed into condominiums. Look at the population density of Hong Kong versus Bangkok for example. At the end of the day, there's much, much more Thai people living in Thai-owned houses, apartments and condominiums on Thai-owned land than there are foreigners living in 'foreign-owned' condominiums or on 'foreign-owned' farms.

Yawn.

How many foreigners have their name on a chanote? Virtually none

How many chanotes are in the hands of THAI companies with minority foreign shareholders? Thousands

How many chanotes are in the hands of THAI people with foreign spouses? Thousands

So is he saying he will crack down on Thais?

Xenophobic statements for the gallery. The paper these statements are written on isn't even worthy of fish and chip wrapper. Bog roll would be too good for it..

• Like 2

There are no real loopholes. The actual laws are very clear. Foreigners cannot own land in Thailand. Most of the foreigners who are thinking that they are owning land are wrong. They don't own it. If the Thai goverment wants all these foreigners will loose "their" land very quick. Be warned! Farangs have no real rights here in Thailand.

• Like 1

There are no real loopholes. The actual laws are very clear. Foreigners cannot own land in Thailand. Most of the foreigners who are thinking that they are owning land are wrong. They don't own it. If the Thai goverment wants all these foreigners will loose "their" land very quick. Be warned! Farangs have no real rights here in Thailand.

How can you lose something you never had?

• Like 1

well.....my experience is that incase subjects like this one comes up ....immigration will follow up.

its fasten our visa seatbelt time again.......,i am buckled in already (extension in april)

I live on 14 rai of land with my wife and son and she also has a shop and restaurant on another 10 rai of land.

How much of that land is mine?

Err zero.

How much of the land is my wife's?

All of it.

How much will go to our son when she dies?

All of it.

We are planning on putting all the land etc in our son's name this year anyway.

For me there is no problem about owning land in any country.

I can't dig it up and take it back to the country I came from and when I am dead it doesn't really matter.

Edited for bad spelling

Edited by billd766
  • Like 2

I live on 14 rai of land with my wife and son and she also has a shop and restaurant on another 10 rai of land.

How much of that land is mine?

Err zero.

How much of the land is my wife's?

All of it.

How much will go to our son when she dies?

All of it.

We are planning on putting all the land etc in our son's name this year anyway.

For me there is no problem about owning land in any country.

I can't dig it up and take it back to the country I came from and when I am dead it doesn't really matter.

Edited for bad spelling

I knew a Wealthy Thai woman (lottery win) that put all of her land etc into her son's name.

The son married and soon died in an accident. Everything was then in the daughter-in-law's name and the Mother was destitute and homeless

Isn't what he's really saying...

Thai's own land, but the Thai person is related to a foreigner (spouse, brother-in-law, etc.), so we think they got the money for the land from the foreigner, and therefore we want to take it away from the Thai person that owns it because it really means the foreigner owns it.

This would get laughed out of court by any reasonable judge...

(Now the nominee shareholders of "Thai" companies... - that might be a different matter entirely as that may actually be provable in court... However, if they start going down that road, there are lots of rocks to be turned over, starting with DTAC, Tesco, Toyota, Nissan, Western Digital, etc. etc. It would rather go against the attempt to get companies to continue to invest in Thailand after the flooding...)

• Like 1

They want us out more and more every day. This is NOT the time that Thailand should be screwing with there biggest investors and I don't mean land wise. If we all left tomorrow what would happen to Thailand? The same thing that happened to the twin towers I think.

I agree with the Thais to a certain extend. In my country (Brazil) foreigners could own unlimited amounts of land until a few years ago. You know what happened? The Chinese came in and bought vast amounts of agriculture land, I am talking about huge areas that equal the size of small countries in Europe. They come in <snip> up the soil with their polluting pesticides and herbicides all to produce food mostly for their cattle back in China. This is a real problem in Brazil nowadays and many other countries in South America. In Panama, central America they did the same thing, the tip of the country on the pacific side is almost entirely owned by Chinese companies, not even the Panamanians can get in there. I would not be surprised they are doing this in Thailand because of the Chinese.

You know what? The Chinese own most of Thailand too but they are Thai - Chinese...

Isn't what he's really saying...

Thai's own land, but the Thai person is related to a foreigner (spouse, brother-in-law, etc.), so we think they got the money for the land from the foreigner, and therefore we want to take it away from the Thai person that owns it because it really means the foreigner owns it.

This would get laughed out of court by any reasonable judge...

(Now the nominee shareholders of "Thai" companies... - that might be a different matter entirely as that may actually be provable in court... However, if they start going down that road, there are lots of rocks to be turned over, starting with DTAC, Tesco, Toyota, Nissan, Western Digital, etc. etc. It would rather go against the attempt to get companies to continue to invest in Thailand after the flooding...)

Companies and Investors can buy land under certain conditions. They also can lease land for 60 years. Normal farangs can lease only for 30 years.