Full Face Helmet With Best Ventilation?

Lucky33

I just bought a Ducati 795 after living in Thailand for a few years without riding. I recently purchased a full face helmet to use while riding it and while I'm sure it offers good protection, it has very little ventilation and here in Thailand I think that good ventilation is a prerequisite if you are going to be doing much riding. Anyone have any advice on which helmet is the coolest?

Where in Europe (UK, France, Spain, Switzerland etc) would be the best place to buy a good helmet, ie good value for money? Would anyone know whether I would have to pay tax on a new helmet if I brought it in with my checked baggage?

Bought a Schuberth C3 which is a modular but in my opinion better than most full face, ventilation is excellent and it's one of the quietest helmet I have ever had which is nice for Bangkok.

Another good thing is that you can flip-up while at the red light and get some fresh air and then back to full face when driving.

Of course not cheap in Thailand at around 21-23K Bht but totally worth it for me.

Sometimes the Pattaya Kawasaki Shop on Sukhumvit has different brand helmets, though can't remember seeing Arai there. I bought an Arai in Australia, wanting a well ventillated helmet, the sales guy recommended the Arai but also said to wear ear plugs!

Where in Europe (UK, France, Spain, Switzerland etc) would be the best place to buy a good helmet, ie good value for money? Would anyone know whether I would have to pay tax on a new helmet if I brought it in with my checked baggage?

I brought in a brand new helmet many years ago as onboard luggage. Had the helmet in its bag in plain site when going through Customs. Customs never said a dickybird about it and waved me on.

im wearing a bell m5x and its the lightest coolest helmet ive found. this is 1 of 3 i have and this 1 is a bit noisy unless i tape the back 2 vents, then its fine. best part is the whole liner and cheek pads are removalable for washing. i wandered straight through bkk even after they x-rayed the bag and didnt say a thing.....even with £50,000 pounds in it.

The best ventilated helmet I have EVER had is the Nolan Air. That is the European model and not the US model. It has a removable chin guard but is European approved as a full faced helmet. Amazingly quiet for a helmet that you can actually feel the air circulating. I get claustrophobic wearing a true full faced helmet but this one is comfortable and the vision is nearly as good as an open face helmet.

I have both a Shoei and another brand full face "flip up" helmets that are really nice when you are stopped in traffic. They are not as quiet as the non-flip up full face helmets, but much cooler for this climate and speeds that are traveled here. I also brought one through carry on luggage with no questions asked, but although pricey here would be worth the added safety vs. the plastic hats they sell in most shops here.

im wearing a bell m5x and its the lightest coolest helmet ive found. this is 1 of 3 i have and this 1 is a bit noisy unless i tape the back 2 vents, then its fine. best part is the whole liner and cheek pads are removalable for washing. i wandered straight through bkk even after they x-rayed the bag and didnt say a thing.....even with £50,000 pounds in it.

50,000 GBP is a shitload of cash to have undeclared ,youre lucky they didnt take it off you

i did it years ago myself but airport security was lax back then, far less than it is now

First you need to know which makes of helmets fit you better.

Then decide.

My Shoei X-11 I bought from Paddocks works for me but you may not have a Shoei, Ie. narrow head.

Also speed has a bearing. If you ride a lot in BKK traffic no amount of openings in the helmet will make much difference if which case open face may suit better.

Wearing a balaclava under the helmet does a little to reduce helmet head and also wicks away the perspiration.

Edited by VocalNeal

If you ride a lot in BKK traffic no amount of openings in the helmet will make much difference if which case open face may suit better.

Could not agree more. I gave up trying to find a helmet suitable for city riding. For Touring I am happy with any FF with vents.

Bought a Schuberth C3 which is a modular but in my opinion better than most full face, ventilation is excellent and it's one of the quietest helmet I have ever had which is nice for Bangkok.

Another good thing is that you can flip-up while at the red light and get some fresh air and then back to full face when driving.

Of course not cheap in Thailand at around 21-23K Bht but totally worth it for me.

Where did you get it? Looking for a C3 just now, and in BKK for a few days. Thanks!! Also do you know if they sell BMW system 6 series helmets here? It's the same as a Schuberth C3 but with other color schemes... I like white/black... I've decided I need one as I am riding the bike every day into down and earplugs are just not practical for short distances... I think my hearing may be worth 20k baht ;)

Word of warning on Arai - Arai sells only round helmets in Asia, that's "round head shape" ones. I guess Asian heads are rounder, that's why. Just beware that the helmets they sell here are different from the ones they sell in the west, even if they have the same name, and that they won't fit you if you have an oval shape head. Try it out for at least 5 minutes and look for any red spots on your forehead. Acquiring this knowledge cost me 18k baht - no returns! :(

I think a lot of the air noise comes from poorly fitted face shields and a lack of sealing around the back of your neck. Premium quality helmets have a roll that fits snugly at the back of your neck and that forces the air out the top or back vents of the helmet rather than an open area at the back of your neck. This keeps the top of your head dry. The face shields on good quality helmets fit very well and when caught in the rain, no water leaks around the shield. I think the bottom line is that you usually get what you pay for.

I bought a Shoei RF 1100 on Ebay, quite cheap and free shipping, came in at abot 12k. It has some of the best ventilation, you can really feel the air passing over your head especially once you take off from sitting at lights etc. Like any helmet with good ventilation it is noisy so you should wear ear plugs but really, you should do that anyway. I am famous for doing everything before taking off except that and wishing i had. It is very comfortable (being a Shoei...) and has a removable liner which is very important. I strongly suggest trying on a lot to get the right size, then you now which one to get cheaper online, no need to pay crazy "import duties" from local shops. I can't get an Arai to fit at all but Shoei is like a glove.

i wonder if the off-road helmets have better airflow? They seem to have big vents in the chin and i suppose you can wear goggles instead of having a shield for more airflow if you want. I guess they will be a lot noisier but much cooler.

you will face wind drag at higher speed, googles are bad imo, bigger blind spot and need a great turning angle to fully view your blind spot, and its a terror during rain. maybe its just mine, was a rjay. great looking but not so much good experience

liked my old nolan n102 but very heavy imo

• 1 month later...
Where did you get it?

Does anyone know where to find a shop in BKK with a wide range of helmets except from those 'Index' and 'SpaceCrown' plastic hats? Gonna buy a Honda Wave and although I'm a careful driver I wanna make sure the helmet is more than just a nice ear warmer.