Bangkok Cabbie Urged To Return Bt13M Worth Of Gold

webfact

hope the cabbie gets to keep it! Anyone who can leave 13 million baht in gold in the back of a taxi is firstly too stupid for their own good and secondly rich enough not to really miss it, i'm routing for the cabbie at least he will take his time blowing it all on wiskey, hookers and yabba.

The lost item might not even be the gold shop owner's property. Besides that, being a businessman and owning expensive items doesn't necessarily mean being rich, bank debts might outweigh the value of assets. Also, buying and selling expensive items might only bring modest profits.

If you are expecting me to feel sorry for a man who leaves 13 million baht in gold lying around and expecting me to care about his bank debts you are barking up the wrong tree because I care about as much as he bothered to take care of such valuable items.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hope the cabbie gets to keep it! Anyone who can leave 13 million baht in gold in the back of a taxi is firstly too stupid for their own good and secondly rich enough not to really miss it, i'm routing for the cabbie at least he will take his time blowing it all on wiskey, hookers and yabba.

You are of coure an ex-cabby and have extensive experience of their ways of life.

Nope just been in Thailand 10 years and generalising about the cabbys I have come into contact with, are you a jaded cabby on A crappy pension?

Edited by JeremyBowskill

Thai taxi driver returns $410,000 in gold to owner

BANGKOK, March 16, 2012 (AFP) - A Thai taxi driver Friday returned 8.2 kilograms (18 pounds) of gold ornaments worth around $410,000 to their owner who had left them in his car three days ago, police said.

Bangkok cabbie Saksri Ketsrikaew, 56, said he spent two days driving around Bangkok searching for the owner because he had no contact number.

He said he contacted community radio after he learned gold shop owner Eakerat Kanokwattana, 60, had filed a complaint with police and the story of the missing gold hit local headlines.

But police were not convinced he had a heart of gold.

"His excuse doesn't make sense if he intended to return the gold to its owner as he knew where they got off," case officer Lieutenant Colonel Udom Sukprasert told AFP.

"They are checking and counting the gold now."

Eakerat, who owns a gold shop in the city of Ubon Ratchathani, came to Bangkok with his wife to do a gold trade in Chinatown and got a taxi on Tuesday evening to the northern outskirts of Bangkok.

But he later realised he had left his bag full of gold ornaments in the taxi and offered a reward for their return.

Television news Friday showed a relieved Eakerat giving the taxi driver gold worth around $6,400 as his reward.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-03-16

1. the gold could have been distinguishable and hard to sell. like statues?

2. the gold dealer should have had an armed guard. he is too comfortable and doesnt know his country very well.

3. i wanted to hire that driver but now i think he'll be too rich.

Tomorrow I might loose a few million on the BTS. I will go to the police to file a report, call the press, make a big story out of it and then get the money back from the insurance company.

Seriously, you should NOT loose a 2.5 KG!!! of gold. I say "bad luck" (if he really lost it).

Thai taxi driver returns $410,000 in gold to owner

BANGKOK, March 16, 2012 (AFP) - A Thai taxi driver Friday returned 8.2 kilograms (18 pounds) of gold ornaments worth around $410,000 to their owner who had left them in his car three days ago, police said.

Bangkok cabbie Saksri Ketsrikaew, 56, said he spent two days driving around Bangkok searching for the owner because he had no contact number.

He said he contacted community radio after he learned gold shop owner Eakerat Kanokwattana, 60, had filed a complaint with police and the story of the missing gold hit local headlines.

But police were not convinced he had a heart of gold.

"His excuse doesn't make sense if he intended to return the gold to its owner as he knew where they got off," case officer Lieutenant Colonel Udom Sukprasert told AFP.

"They are checking and counting the gold now."

Eakerat, who owns a gold shop in the city of Ubon Ratchathani, came to Bangkok with his wife to do a gold trade in Chinatown and got a taxi on Tuesday evening to the northern outskirts of Bangkok.

But he later realised he had left his bag full of gold ornaments in the taxi and offered a reward for their return.

Television news Friday showed a relieved Eakerat giving the taxi driver gold worth around $6,400 as his reward.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-03-16

International press at last. rolleyes.gif

That was one of the stupidest statements I've read in a long time!

1. Yeah, it's stupid to forget something in a taxi, but that happens to a lot of people. Like you never forgot anything in your life.

2. Did it ever occur to you that this might have been part of their live savings or maybe all of it?

3. And just because you would blow the cash on whiskey and hookers and ice doesn't mean the cabbie would do the same.

Taxi driver returns gold worth Bt13 million to owner

BANGKOK:-- A taxi driver Friday returned gold ornaments worth Bt13 million to its owner via the FM91 (Sor Wor Por 91) radio station.

The taxi driver came out to return the gold after its owner, Akekarat Kanokwannakorn, 60, told police Thursday that he had left the 540 baht weight of gold in a pink Toyota Altis taxi.

Akerat told police that he had flagged down on Bangkok’s Worachak Road to travel to Si Mum Muang Market in Pathum Thani’s Klong Luang district.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-16

Very clever of the taxi driver to wait unitl the finders reward was publicly offered giggle.gif

1. Yeah, it's stupid to forget something in a taxi, but that happens to a lot of people. Like you never forgot anything in your life.

2. Did it ever occur to you that this might have been part of their live savings or maybe all of it?

3. And just because you would blow the cash on whiskey and hookers and ice doesn't mean the cabbie would do the same.

Seems 12 people disagree with you judging by the likes it got, how many likes did this post get??? 12 to 2 negative comments, not bad by Thaivisa standards. xxxxx

• Like 1

I assume your post is tongue in cheek? You can't be serious.

No.. The gold is not his to keep. If he keeps it ...this is theft. Plain and simple.

"Stupid"? No..he just forgot.

"Rich". You have no idea of his circumstances.

Edited by harleyclarkey

LOST AND FOUND

Honest taxi driver returns Bt13 million of gold

The Nation

30178124-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A taxi driver on Friday returned more than eight kilograms of gold ornaments to their owner, an elderly passenger who left the cab without taking his valuables. The returned gold is worth more than Bt13 million.

In return for his good deed, taxi driver Saksee Kesseekaew immediately received gold necklaces worth about Bt200,000 from his passenger, Ekarat Kanokwannakorn. He was also promised an additional reward of Bt300,000 in cash.

Ekarat runs a gold shop at a superstore in Ubon Ratchathani.

He came to Bangkok's Yaowaraj area to buy more gold but forgot his bag in the taxi driven by Saksee on Thursday.

"I picked him up from Yaowaraj and dropped his off at Si Mum Mueang Market in Pathum Thani," Saksee said.

The taxi driver said he checked his cab and found the goldstuffed bag, after Ekarat got out.

"I was excited and really wanted to return the gold to the owner. I drove around an area I picked him up in the hope of spotting him but he was nowhere to be seen," Saksee said.

He later told his friends and relatives about the bag. His nephew, Sergeant Sakdipong Boonyawoot, later saw Ekarat on the media asking for the return of his gold. The young relative quickly alerted Saksee.

"So, I immediately contacted FM91 Traffic Pro radio station," the taxi driver said.

Through FM91 Traffic Pro, Saksee returned the gold to Ekarat.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-16

LOST AND FOUND

Honest taxi driver returns Bt13 million of gold

The Nation

30178124-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A taxi driver on Friday returned more than eight kilograms of gold ornaments to their owner, an elderly passenger who left the cab without taking his valuables. The returned gold is worth more than Bt13 million.

In return for his good deed, taxi driver Saksee Kesseekaew immediately received gold necklaces worth about Bt200,000 from his passenger, Ekarat Kanokwannakorn. He was also promised an additional reward of Bt300,000 in cash.

Ekarat runs a gold shop at a superstore in Ubon Ratchathani.

He came to Bangkok's Yaowaraj area to buy more gold but forgot his bag in the taxi driven by Saksee on Thursday.

"I picked him up from Yaowaraj and dropped his off at Si Mum Mueang Market in Pathum Thani," Saksee said.

The taxi driver said he checked his cab and found the goldstuffed bag, after Ekarat got out.

"I was excited and really wanted to return the gold to the owner. I drove around an area I picked him up in the hope of spotting him but he was nowhere to be seen," Saksee said.

He later told his friends and relatives about the bag. His nephew, Sergeant Sakdipong Boonyawoot, later saw Ekarat on the media asking for the return of his gold. The young relative quickly alerted Saksee.

"So, I immediately contacted FM91 Traffic Pro radio station," the taxi driver said.

Through FM91 Traffic Pro, Saksee returned the gold to Ekarat.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-16

Well done. As it should be. It pays to be honest and be able to sleep with a clear conscience. Very glad to see he got a decent reward. Half a million baht is a heck of a lot of money for a cabbie.

Of course he should have returned what was not his instead of blowing it on hookers, yabba and booze as already suggested here.

Edited by harleyclarkey

No.. The gold is not his to keep. If he keeps it ...this is theft. Plain and simple.

Of course it was tongue in cheek otherwise I would have said gold is set to rise even higher in my estimation at least 2,000 dollars per troy oz by the end of the year so bury it somewhere safe, hold on to it for at least a couple years by which time the price will have gone up and the heat will be off of it then blow it on whiskey, hookers and yabba if you so please.

for this and other sound business advice please vistit my website. xxxx

Why should we assume the cab driver has the gold ? If the bag was left in the back seat or on the floor he could drive around all day without knowing it was there. It could of been found by a passenger.
Well, that would be my story anyway. wink.png
that's what he will say when apprehended.

In a new fortuner

All those boxes... Was that stuffed in the trunk? Can't imagine to overlook this and just walk away. Why did the cabbie go back to the pickup location instead of the dropoff? And the police is already putting on pressure to get their 30% cut from the cabbie. Not a bad tip, for sure better than the usual "keep the change".

Strange story, been looking for the notthenation.com link ;-)

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

The poor old couple deserve to get at least half back. As you get older you get more absent minded. Maybe that's their retirement fund who knows, but Mr.Cabbie. be nice and give them what they deserve. Half is quite a good jackpot in any term!! And to the police, shame on you for using threat as your tactic.!

Of course it was tongue in cheek otherwise I would have said gold is set to rise even higher in my estimation at least 2,000 dollars per troy oz by the end of the year so bury it somewhere safe, hold on to it for at least a couple years by which time the price will have gone up and the heat will be off of it then blow it on whiskey, hookers and yabba if you so please.

for this and other sound business advice please vistit my website. xxxx

Glad to hear...but it did come across as somewhat serious.

Jeremy..please hold the kisses, it may give my GF the wrong idea!!

Edited by harleyclarkey
  • Like 1

Gotta love the Thai police. First they say it will be almost impossible to find the guy. Then they say he had better turn himself in before they catch him. Actually with 13 million baht at stake, I suspect they actually are working hard to find him....... :-) Here is a tip for Thailand. Put an inexpensive GPS tracking device on every cab, with a central data center holding the data for perhaps a week. You would then know the position of every cab at every second. So issues like this one forgetting something, or where a cabbie has committed a crime, could be easily solved.

and who's gonna pay for that?

You sure are a nice guy.

I suppose you've NEVER made a mistake in your life.post-4641-1156693976.gif

See knucklehead !

Many years ago I lost a hand phone in a cab to Don Muang airport (it slipped off a belt clip - haven't used one since!). Noticed it after I left, borrowed a phone and rang my number. Cabbie couldn't speak English so I got someone from the office to talk to him. Anyhow he promised to return the phone.

I checked into my flight and then returned to the curb waiting with trepidation.

With just a few minutes before I had to go to the gate the cabbie showed up, gave me my phone and flattly refused any sort of money (finders fee or compensation for driving back to the airport)!

To this day I remind myself of this driver when I hear a story like this or come across a cabbie who refuses to switch on the meter.

People like that do exist!

Much as I'd like the gold I couldn't sleep if I nicked it, I'd have to return it.

Whether that would be a guilty conscience or fear of getting caught........not sure.

Do you know how many sleeping pills (or partners) you could buy with B13 million. Half a dozen Changs and a shag and I sleep like a baby.

Yea, well you obviously have no morals.

Go home.

We don't need falang like you cluttering up our lovely country......

I'm beginning to suspect this could be a TAT set-up for another honest cabbie story. rolleyes.gif

Bingo!

Taxi driver returns gold worth Bt13 million to owner

A taxi driver Friday returned gold ornaments worth Bt13 million to its owner via the FM91 (Sor Wor Por 91) radio station.

The taxi driver came out to return the gold after its owner, Akekarat Kanokwannakorn, 60, told police Thursday that he had left the 540 baht weight of gold in a pink Toyota Altis taxi.

Akerat told police that he had flagged down on Bangkok’s Worachak Road to travel to Si Mum Muang Market in Pathum Thani’s Klong Luang district.

http://www.nationmul...n-30178108.html

Now that's what I'm talking about.

Honest Thais vs. Dishonest falang.

The choice is obvious !

Right on !!!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

It sure is depressing that these type of 'falang' give us all a bad name in the eyes of our host Thais.

They should be drawn and quartered.

Or at least tar and feathered.

Or if you want to have pity on them just throw them out of 'our' country !!!