Austrian Tourist Arrested At Aranyaprathet Border On Drug Charge

webfact

Austrian tourist arrested at border on drug charge

image_201203161512471A90ECDE-A29A-F355-E30C0C475363A920.jpg

SA KAEO, March 16 - A 51-year-old Austrian tourist was arrested at Thailand’s Aranyaprathet district immigration checkpoint for bringing several types of restricted drugs from Cambodia.

Harald Richard Rumbold attracted the attention of officials while pulling his suitcase across the border from Poipet.

A police search found 3.1 grammes of marijuana in a plastic bag in his trousers pocket, while concealed in his baggage the authorities discovered remnants of heroin in four small plastic bags, five syringe sets, two aluminium spoons, and 53 Diazepam tranquiliser pills.

Working as a disk jockey and musician at a restaurant in his home country, Mr Rumbold said he was travelling in Cambodia and bought the marijuana and heroin in Sihanoukville. He said he used almost all the heroin before entering Thailand. The seaside resort town of Pattaya was to be his next destination.

The man was detained with the seized drugs to be sent for prosecution. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-03-16

• Like 1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear, oh dear oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Someones grassed him up, he's <snip>.

Who cares? Lock him up and throw away the key. He might just spend the latter years of his life drug free!

boring, old boring news. If you can't do it, don't do it! closedeyes.gif

mel.

And remember that what govts classify as illegal drugs change over time. 100 yrs ago or so, many drugs illegal today were legal. Similarly, alcohol was once illegal in US. Myself, I'm only partial to loads of legal beer, occasionally with a couple of tabs of ibuprofen the following morning. Perfectly legal ;-) Tobacco? Should be illegal in my book. Lock 'em all up & throw away the key!! That might sound stupid now, but in 20 yrs time.......

• Like 1

Who cares? Lock him up and throw away the key. He might just spend the latter years of his life drug free!

mel.

Throw away the key for 3 grams of graz and "some heroine residue" ?!?!?! Hopefully he will get a fine and a red stamp in the passport as thai jails already is overcrowded.

Everybody who use drugs in Thailand is a complete moron look at the penalties:

Category I -Dangerous Narcotics such as Heroin

Category II-Ordinary Narcotics such as Opium and Cocaine

Category III-Narcotics in Medicinal form that include Category II Substances

Category IV-Chemicals used for producing Category I & II Substances

Category V-Narcotics not in Category I-IV such as Marijuana

The act restricts the categories separately. Category I and V substances are prohibited. Category II and III substances may only be used as per a doctor’s prescription. Category IV substances require licensing by the government. The each of the categories carries separate sentencing guidelines.

- Violations involving Category I substances carry a fine of up to 5 million baht or a sentence of life in prison.

- Violators guilty of distributing Category I substances may be subjected to the death penalty.

- Persons convicted of an offense involving Category II drugs may be subject to fines up to 5 million baht and imprisonment from one year to life.

- Persons convicted of offenses involving Category III substances may be fined up to 300,000 baht and imprisoned for up to three years.

- Persons convicted of offenses involving Category IV substances may be fined up to 1.5 million baht and imprisoned up to fifteen years.

- Persons convicted of offenses involving Category V substances may be fined up to 1.5 million baht and imprisoned up to fifteen years.

Throw away the key for 3 grams of graz and "some heroine residue" ?!?!?! Hopefully he will get a fine and a red stamp in the passport as thai jails already is overcrowded.

You've not been here long have ya? smile.png

Long enough (20 years) to see that the flaws in the Thai justice system may earn this guy a couple of years in jail........or he could walk away with a slap on the wrist.Farangs here have been caught with a lot more and not done jail time.

Its been pointed out by others here that they just love to show off every time a farang get caught with a relatively small amount of drugs,but when was the last time some really BIG characters with huge amounts of drugs where caught and made the headlines and then sentenced ??

• Like 2

Very small amount of drugs will probably earn him no more than 6 months. Totally unbelievable the uneducated, ill-informed and ignorant hang em high brigade. Some people really need to educate themselves and get out more.

• Like 2

A police search found 3.1 grammes of marijuana in a plastic bag in his trousers pocket, while concealed in his baggage the authorities discovered remnants of heroin in four small plastic bags, five syringe sets, two aluminium spoons, and 53 Diazepam tranquiliser pills.

Hi "hang them high" brigade. It's obviously a little junkie being on the needle, or am I wrong? A slap in his face, a red stamp saying: Not wanted in LOS would be enough.

Addiction is like a disease.I don't think that he was trying to smuggle aluminium spoons to Thailand, the Diazepam were for his turkey, I guess...jap.gif.

I've seen the needle

and the damage done

A little part of it in everyone

But every junkie's

like a settin' sun.

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 2

mel.

Spoken like a true politicians rent boy, todays drug laws are akin to burning witches and are only supported by people who have very low IQs. It looks to me as though the drugs found were for personal use but through his own stupidity is now facing serious charges.

I guess you are all in favour of your own little sniff then? I don't care if they were for personal use, the law is the law. If you contend to break it, then by all means suffer the consequences, especially in this land. I think you response referring to IQ levels has totally demonstrated yours, and that probably from your own abuse, seeing as you condone the laws as being hundreds of years old. So what, for personal use. He's traversed from another country to Thailand, and knows the consequences. What planet do you come from? Planet bottle-top? I'll give you change for a grog, for your 2oz...... baa words from you! I hope to Buddha and God and Allah, if you're into that high merit of shit, that he does get good time. Another user and intimidator out of circulation. I have no sypmathy for the idiot whatsoever!

As for IQ, you introduced, go get a measure, sniff it, and then tell me what your measurement is!!

-mel.

• Like 1

mel.

Ridiculous post! Not interested - don't click on link. Others ARE interested.

I remember reading a newspaper report some time ago that on over 70% of US banknotes in circulation traces of heroin and/or cocaine could be detected. Putting your folding stuff into the washing machine before travelling to Thailand might be a good idea. I wonder what percentage of Thai banknotes would pass muster?

So what if traces of illegal substances were found in plastic bags? Clearly he had expended his ration of poison in another country, this is not an offence inThailand is it? I would like to know just what defines a trace, one speck or two? If his 'life support' had been used up, why didn't he discard the empty bags? There is no shortage of plastic bags in Thailand.

I am mildly surprised that on finding that this fool's supply had run out that BiB didn't offer to sell him some more, or point him in the direction of one of their street agents. It wouldn't do to have farangs making use of independent suppliers would it?

There is a story in the Pattaya Daily News about a child who was playing on the beach at Ban Sarey (near Pattaya) who pricked her hand on a needle/s buried in the sand. Back to our Austrian friend .. he deserves an VIP room at the Bangkok Hilton.

Edited by grmgunn
  • Like 1

To the Gentleman - "Jim"

Nice of you to make 'ungrounded' assumptions, as usual. :Z

Pissed up indeed? Driving indeed? Whoa! You are opinionated to the Nth degree.

'This little infringement' you know no details of, so again you are making assumptions.

You have made assumptions about him, and about me, in your super ordinance survey that counts for fk'all. How dare you? :o

I DON'T care if you drink or smoke, as that's your agenda. This guy tried to take advantage, and you defend him; even though he is a drug abuser or abuser of others. Does that really contend that you are right in what you say, or alledge vs me? Bizarre!!

Heroin, crack and others such like induce much more violent behaviour than alcohol, and I am not condoning the use of alcohol, so get your own opinions valued and in context first! Crass is beyond you, I would hope! As for soap boxes, I use a bath thanks, I'm clean! :P

-mel.

mel.

Ridiculous post! Not interested - don't click on link. Others ARE interested.

Only those who use, to check their own credentials.

-mel.