Bangkok Airport Problems Threaten Tourist-Friendly Image

webfact

Immigration is certainly a problem for tourists and businessmen arriving in Bangkok.

But Thailand is not the only country with these problems.

Read today's IHT, where the situation in US is described as "disgraceful".

Now I don't say, Thailand does not have a serious problem, indeed they have, but is not a problem unique to Thailand.

Just a few ideas on how to improve the immigration problem:

- at least the long distance flight by THAI could put an immigration officer in the plane. If he has up-to-date equipment, he could finalize the immigration procedure in the plane, otherwise at least check if the arrival cards are correctly filled in.

- I don't uderstand why Thailand makes such a big fuzz when leaving the kingdom. Why not just ask at check-in to give back the arrival/departure card and skip the lenghty check at immigration, at least for non-Thai-citizen.

Someone has other ideas?

I've never spent more than 5 mins at immigration. I don't understand the problem, unless TV members are just writing for fun. ???

Please enlighten me to these major problems.

Thanks in advance.

-mel.

I suspect you are talking about a different country other than Thailand.

I am with mel. I rarely have a long wait at immigration, either leaving or coming in. I have longer waits at security but that's because so many people don't follow the rules when getting their carry on items scanned and when going through the detectors. There are some times that I have had exceptionally long waits at immigration but, that does not happen often enough to complain so much. When dealing with the immigration officer, either entering or exiting, it usually just takes about a minute and I am through. But, maybe part of that is choosing which line to go through. I avoid lines with a lot of Koreans or Chinese or Indians in them. Getting into a line with mostly westerners in it seems to make it go faster. Also, avoid lines with the farangs that decided to have a dozen last minute beers before proceeding to the airport.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going through Thai immigration is a cake walk compared to the pleasure of subjecting yourself to the condescending, smug, ill-mannered, pratts that think carrying a gun gives them the authority to be a prick toward new arrivals to the US. I've always felt sorry for those that don't speak English, as you are likely to treated even more poorly. ICE should just post a sign at immigration stating: Warning, you are about to be treated like a piece of crap. And if you don't speak English, we will simply repeat our questions in a progressively louder voice.

As for the facilities, lax makes the swamp look like Ritz. T. Bradley International is a freakin dump.

Initially I also missed the musty, antiquated character of DM. But then again, I once thought that Nana Plaza Hotel had a certain charm and excitement to it.

Swampy may have it's issues, but I've seen a lot worse. Ok, its a huge, sprawling behemoth. What do you want from a major international airport? Try Chicago, Dallas, or SFO. You'll be walking for days, and if you only pay $10 for a meal, consider yourself lucky. At least going through swampy you still get the Thai hospitality, save for immigration officials. But then I don't recall friendly immigration folks anywhere in the world. Maybe its the nature of a tedious, uninteresting, never ending job. Talk about same-same everyday.

I'll take swampy over any US airport, i.e. mini police state, these days. And heaven forbid you take a US air carrier. Be prepared for crap, rude service from a bunch of old blue hairs with a 'use by' date circa 1970.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 2

Going through Thai immigration is a cake walk compared to the pleasure of subjecting yourself to the condescending, smug, ill-mannered, pratts that think carrying a gun gives them the authority to be a prick toward new arrivals to the US. I've always felt sorry for those that don't speak English, as you are likely to treated even more poorly. ICE should just post a sign at immigration stating: Warning, you are about to be treated like a piece of crap. And if you don't speak English, we will simply repeat our questions in a progressively louder voice.

As for the facilities, lax makes the swamp look like Ritz. T. Bradley International is a freakin dump.

Initially I also missed the musty, antiquated character of DM. But then again, I once thought that Nana Plaza Hotel had a certain charm and excitement to it.

Swampy may have it's issues, but I've seen a lot worse. Ok, its a huge, sprawling behemoth. What do you want from a major international airport? Try Chicago, Dallas, or SFO. You'll be walking for days, and if you only pay $10 for a meal, consider yourself lucky. At least going through swampy you still get the Thai hospitality, save for immigration officials. But then I don't recall friendly immigration folks anywhere in the world. Maybe its the nature of a tedious, uninteresting, never ending job. Talk about same-same everyday.

I'll take swampy over any US airport, i.e. mini police state, these days. And heaven forbid you take a US air carrier. Be prepared for crap, rude service from a bunch of old blue hairs with a 'use by' date circa 1970.

don't you know that, if someone does not understand English, if you speak loudly and slowly to them, they will understand. licklips.gif

THe problem with the US is, they don't hire the best people for jobs there if they are government related in any way. The US government has quotas on hiring based on sex and race. The airport is affirmative action in action.

I can't disagree with you about immigration at LAX, or US air carriers. I usually wait longer in line there to get through, coming back into my own country, than I do at Swampy. Some fellow passengers make it worse though. Honestly, my last time returning, there was this old lady who simply and overtly jumped the line. Some of us just simply refused to let her in, shoving around her, and repeatedly telling her where the back of the line was. She just held that far-off stare as if she didn't hear us. The useless customs sheep-herder was informed, but just blankly stared and did nothing. The woman in back of me, not having the intestinal fortitude to do otherwise however, allowed herself to be cut in front of. I kept up a conversation with those in front of me however about the lady, all the way to the front of the line, making SURE to look and point back at her as frequently as possible.

Still, departing, I've never had any real delays at LAX at all, whereas I've very nearly missed flights at Swampy (and I ALWAYS arrive well before even the opening of the airline check-in counter, DO remove my shoes & belt, etc. for the scanner, HAVE my departure card correctly filled out, and AM just plain waiting in EXTREMELY long lines!). The nay-sayers here need to stop putting down the "complainers" here - they DO have a valid complaint. Just because what they describe isn't the case 100% of the time doesn't mean some of the posters here can smugly dismiss them as incompetents. Honestly, some folks here are bad as the ICE guys being described at LAX!

• Like 1

Whatever happened to the 'Architects' guide dog, is it still around?

It looked like an unfinished building site when it first opened - and still does!

Combine this, with some of the most unhelpful, surly, 'Immigration Officers' that you could wish to meet and the whole place is a blxxdy disgrace. Until the High ups stop telling themselves and the world, what a wonderful job they have done and are still doing and take their collective heads out of the quick sands, nothing but nothing will change. WE KNOW EVERYTHING AND DON'T NEED ANY HELP FROM OUTSIDE 'EXPERTS' IS THE MANTRA AND SEEMS AS THOUGH IT ALWAYS WILL BE HERE IN THAILAND. I wonder what these people actually think when they travel to other international airports like say Hongkong ? Does it every strike them that there is a chasm between their own so called 'International' airport and others around the world - probably not. Great idea to reopen the old airport and dictate who has to fly there - any idea how you will get between the two - NO haven't thought about that one have they, and why should they, because they don't care and never will.

Funny that they are worried the airport threatens to tarnish their tourist friendly image...how about the daily assault, intimidation and robbing of tourists in scam after scam such as on the beaches of Pattaya, Phuket and Koh Samui with the jet ski gangs?

Those are attractions.

I suspect you are talking about a different country other than Thailand.

I do travel a lot through Swampy, (certain times of the year twice a week), and in my opinion the immigration/security set up there aint the best, but aint the worst either, however I would dispute some of the comments by some posters that its never taken anymore than 5 minutes at immigration

I dont think it have ever been less than 5 minutes even through the fast track, 10 minutes maybe, but never 5.

As with most airports in the world, the speed at which you clear the fomalites is generally down to pot luck.

IMHO the most efficient and consistant set up I travel through is at Changi and even there sometimes you get caught out, other times, you walk straight off the plane and the immigration booths are open and you are through in less then 5 minutes....luck of the draw

Funny that they are worried the airport threatens to tarnish their tourist friendly image...how about the daily assault, intimidation and robbing of tourists in scam after scam such as on the beaches of Pattaya, Phuket and Koh Samui with the jet ski gangs?

Sounds a bit like London then.

Haven't noticed that in any tourist brochures. But living here in Thailand I have heard about the horrible service at Heathrow in London.

As far as the scams go haven't had any in six yyears but have heard a lot about them.

Once again the silent majority. No mention of scams here on the beaches of Chiang Mai.

Longest I ever waited to pass immigration was in San Jose California. The line was two blocks long and they would be coming down the line looking for people whose plane left in the next half hour. Had to wait in line for a hour to get that service.

Personally I believe that the complainers here on TV have some grounds for complaint but have never really traveled any where else.

Worlds Worst Airports:

according to CNN:

10. São Paulo-Guarulhos International, São Paulo, Brazil

9. Perth Airport, Perth, Australia

8. Tribhuvan International, Kathmandu, Nepal

7. John F. Kennedy International, New York, United States

6. Jomo Kenyatta International, Nairobi, Kenya

5. Ninoy Aquino International, Manila, Philippines

4. Toncontín International, Tegucigalpa, Honduras

3. London Heathrow, London, England

2. Los Angeles International Airport, Los Angeles, United States

1. Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Paris, France

according to USA Today

1. New York JFK Airport Terminal 3

2. Manila (Philippines) Airport Terminal 1

3. Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport Terminal B/C

5. Paris' Charles de Gaulle Airport, Terminal 3

6. Amman (Jordan) Queen Alia Airport

7. New York LaGuardia Airport Terminal 5

8. Terminal B at Newark Liberty International Airport

9. Paris' Beauvais Airport

10. Chicago Midway Airport

So where is the problem (Tong in cheek). I departed Udon Thani at 11:20 this morning and have had lunch near my departure point at swampy now typing this 2 and a half hours later! More Immigration officers than passengers.

Time includes air travel, collecting baggage at domestic area, check in, immigration, security then lunch.

Edited by bdenner
  • Like 1

You traveled Thai??? if not -try it when Yingluck orders all others to go to D.M.............and try it at the busy times-morning and early eve. Why pick a convenient time and place, to make a point, the problems are general--and always have been, -is King power tourist friendly ?? are the scams tourist friendly ?? are all connections to the capitol tourist friendly ?? one offs like yours does NOT confirm that all is perfect.

coffee1.gif A lot depemds on what time your international flight lands in swampy.

The work schedule for immigration is bass-ackwards as my American friends would say.

Flights from Europe, for example, start from Europe in the afternoon for passenger convenience in Europe.

The flights from Athens, Greece for example I flew often while i worked in Greece departs from Athens at 16:00. That makes an overnight flight (sleeping passengers) for the airline.

Unfortunately it arrives in Swampy at about 06:00 Bangkok time. Many other flights from Europe do the same...again because passengers like that overnight flight to sleep.

So it's not unusual to arrive on a flight from Europe, with two or 3 other international flights full of passengers also arriving, and only a minimal immigration staff manning the desks.

THEIR normal day working schedule starts around 08:00...that's the immigration "day shift".

That's the real problem...many tourist flights from Europe arrive early in the morning, and depart late at night....when the skeleton shifts are on duty in immigration.

I've arrived in the afternoon from Singapore...at 13:00 or 14:00 before with all the immigration booths manned (or womaned, as the case may be) and found short lines and no more than a 15 or 20 minute wait.

But if you arrive early in the morning, and depart late at night...the best times for European flights...you can expect to wait.

And also, as I've said before...swampy was not designed as an AIRPORT for passengers to use...it was designed as a SHOPPING MALL...where the shoppers arrive and depart by plane through the shopping mall area.

It was always intended to be that way, to extract every possible dollar/pound/euro...etc. from the tourists before they entered or left through the airport.

The designers didn't consider convenience for the passengers...it was all about King Power and it's shopping mall.

licklips.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 2

It was a joke when we arrived on the 5th February going through immigration it took just short of an hour and try doing that with kids after a long flight from the UK, it has slowly got worst every time we arrive over the last 6 years. When leaving Thailand it was quicker due to the fact that there was not different queue's for Thai nationals we all went in the same line and to be fair this procedure looked liked it was working more effectively.

To the posters that say it has only taken them 5 minutes please do tell us all your secret? Or what time you arrive and where from!

Edited by DarloKnight

Sad. After living here (I still love Thailand) it seems that everything that the government is connected with ends up being 'ucked up. Besides of the corruption that is always connected with the projects (which makes the costs go up and the chance of poor workmanship), there is never anyone being "pro-active" -- thinking of the "what ifs" and the pro's and con's. Maybe it isn't in this country's culture to be "pro-active" and thinking of the negatives when planning a place due to the saving face syndrome. So the question I have... The airport wasn't built big enough? or Is the problem due to poor management that will not have more passport control booths?

Maybe not "big enough" but I seem to remember Thaksin boasting about the tallest control tower.

The plans were changed on his orders. He said that being the tallest control tower in the world would attract tourists. He obviously hadn't taken his medication that day - although he had the annoying habit of taking everything else that wasn't screwed down.

I fly frequently between Changi and Swarmy. Even the ladies toilet in Swarmy is disgusting! The quality of the toilet is what I would find in a hawker centre in Singapore!

I fly through BKK about 20 or more times per year. The toilets are generally clean and well attended as they are in most shopping centers etc. In Thailand and much better than any I have seen in Singapore or China, EVER.

I would suggest that the reason you find the toilets in such a disgusting state, as I have done on occasion, is that you were using the one near the gate for the flight to Singapore or China.

• Like 1

Thailand is a wonderful place to live if you can adopt that most Buddhist of all principles, "no attachment to outcome" Anyone will tell you that that attachment will only bring suffering.

Where did you come across this horrible translation? A better translation would be "no attachment to anything". For a better understanding you could read http://buddhism.about.com/od/thefournobletruths/a/fournobletruths.htm. But you are also ignoring the eight fold path, simply one should perform their tasks ethically and dilligently. Not Mai Pen Rai"ly". http://buddhism.about.com/od/theeightfoldpath/a/eightfoldpath.htm

TIT. I have some educated Thai friends that admit, Thailand will never come out of the third world. They simply, don't care. Although we, as foreigners, see fault in how things are run and, as one poster put it, not pro-actively acted upon, the Thai's simply don't work that way. And let's face it, it's part of what we love about Thailand (and hate). That mai pen rai laid back attitude makes it a less stressful place....as long as you're not trying to get something done on time or on budget wink.png.

Up in Lamphun, the way they repair well used city roads is to drop a load of dirt on the part with holes. Don't seal it, or even smooth it out, with the result that the "repair" is as bad as the road was previously. Of course, once it starts to rain, the dirt will just become a huge bog.

With that sort of attitude from authorities, what chance is there for any public project to succeed?

coffee1.gif A lot depemds on what time your international flight lands in swampy.

The work schedule for immigration is bass-ackwards as my American friends would say.

Flights from Europe, for example, start from Europe in the afternoon for passenger convenience in Europe.

The flights from Athens, Greece for example I flew often while i worked in Greece departs from Athens at 16:00. That makes an overnight flight (sleeping passengers) for the airline.

Unfortunately it arrives in Swampy at about 06:00 Bangkok time. Many other flights from Europe do the same...again because passengers like that overnight flight to sleep.

So it's not unusual to arrive on a flight from Europe, with two or 3 other international flights full of passengers also arriving, and only a minimal immigration staff manning the desks.

THEIR normal day working schedule starts around 08:00...that's the immigration "day shift".

That's the real problem...many tourist flights from Europe arrive early in the morning, and depart late at night....when the skeleton shifts are on duty in immigration.

I've arrived in the afternoon from Singapore...at 13:00 or 14:00 before with all the immigration booths manned (or womaned, as the case may be) and found short lines and no more than a 15 or 20 minute wait.

But if you arrive early in the morning, and depart late at night...the best times for European flights...you can expect to wait.

And also, as I've said before...swampy was not designed as an AIRPORT for passengers to use...it was designed as a SHOPPING MALL...where the shoppers arrive and depart by plane through the shopping mall area.

It was always intended to be that way, to extract every possible dollar/pound/euro...etc. from the tourists before they entered or left through the airport.

The designers didn't consider convenience for the passengers...it was all about King Power and it's shopping mall.

licklips.gif

I've never understood why people buy anything from airports so called duty free, but they obviously do.

At least in SB you can buy food from the Family Mart and take it through to departure side, so avoiding paying the extortionate food costs. Even Burger King is outrageously overpriced.

While SB is a "shopping mall", Heathrow Terminal 4 is just as bad in that respect, has less toilets, no baggage trollys on the departure side, has outrageously long walks to the gate ( without decent travellators ) and is generally a badly designed and uninteresting shed in comparison to SB.

... Thailand is appearing less and less tourist friendly to the world, thanks to the magic of the Internet and the unfettered access to information by world travellers.

... with the proliferation of personal video recorders, Thailand is increasingly exposed to close-up and personal views of less than tourist-friendly realities ... the Royal Thai Police extorting outrageous amonts of money from foreigners for allegedly littering; the now internationally infamous Thai jet-ski criminals in league with Royal Thai Police, Koh Samui's and Phuket's aggressive tuk-tuk drivers, etc.

... the Thai Ministry of Tourism's advertising campaigns hold no sway over raw video.

... maybe Thaivisa will take a look at a YouTube video report of a foreign tourist traveling with his young daughter and wife, who was bludgeoned bloody by a BTS security guard, apparently for carrying threatening and dangerous birthday balloons on the BTS ... disturbing to see his young daughter trying to stand between her father and the BTS security guards ... http://www.andrew-dr...ory.php?sid=527

... welcomed to Thailand ... bring your brass knuckles and protective head gear ... accept the travel insurance option ... a new twist on extreme tourism.

Edited by swillowbee

Every country has its faults. Thailand is great place to live. If I was a Thai reading all these rants and raves I'd be somewhat amused and think to myself is Thailand really that bad that the falangs are not happy here .. but then why do they stay here ? Lets be a bit more positive in general about the LOS.

Every country has its faults. Thailand is great place to live. If I was a Thai reading all these rants and raves I'd be somewhat amused and think to myself is Thailand really that bad that the falangs are not happy here .. but then why do they stay here ? Lets be a bit more positive in general about the LOS.

I totally agree with you! They must be frustrated somehow. wai.gif

yes sorry my mistake since it has been dropped to 30 day visa on arrival they should put it back to 90 days there will be less overstays and also ease airport delays that they seem to be having at the moment

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE VISA HERE IN THAILAND intheclub.gif

So where is the problem (Tong in cheek). I departed Udon Thani at 11:20 this morning and have had lunch near my departure point at swampy now typing this 2 and a half hours later! More Immigration officers than passengers.

Time includes air travel, collecting baggage at domestic area, check in, immigration, security then lunch.

Because you actually represent the norm...(I just can't get enough of posters that feel the need to talk about the obvious). This guy is totally unreflective of normal experience. Congratulations. I've been to Udon Thani too. How about you try and address the larger problem of Suvarnabhumi being an airport that others care don't care (it is the most expensive airport in Asia) about. No one gives a da_m that you've been to Udon Thani. I've been to Yudon Thispost. Have you tried Hong Kong or Singapore (clearly better, on an almost immediate basis). I read things like this and realize that some people will be poor and some not. Period.

Because you actually represent the norm...(I just can't get enough of posters that feel the need to talk about the obvious). This guy is totally unreflective of normal experience. Congratulations. I've been to Udon Thani too. How about you try and address the larger problem of Suvarnabhumi being an airport that others care don't care (it is the most expensive airport in Asia) about. No one gives a da_m that you've been to Udon Thani. I've been to Yudon Thispost. Have you tried Hong Kong or Singapore (clearly better, on an almost immediate basis). I read things like this and realize that some people will be poor and some not. Period.

<deleted> are you on about, this post certainly represents your tag.

I'm saying within a 2 and a half hour period I departed Udon (1 hour flight), arrived at the domestic terminal at Suvarnabhumi collected baggage, completed all formalities, had lunch and was sitting at the departure gate for my international flight. Immigration took less than 5 minutes.

NOTHING to do with experiences at Udon International!

In amongst all the bitching etc about BKK here's an up to date experience.

Flew out Mon night and there were extra booths, lots of immigration officers and senior officers overseeing proceedings. Took me exactly 6 minutes to get through using Departure gate 3.

Coming back yesterday, arrived at about 3.20pm. Scooted off the plane and at immigration there were exactly 3 other foreign passengers, 8 open booths and lots of greeters and guys checking that landing cards had been completed. All of 60 seconds wait.

Maybe I was just lucky but it strikes me that they are taking it seriously and getting it sorted. No one likes losing face, so well done. I have no complaints re my most recent experiences of BKK and lots of praise.

It's completely dependent on what time you fly.

I have had some good experiences, and many bad ones, with wait times of just minutes up to an hour and a half leaving the country last month.

It's still a substandard airport, and a complete rip-off, regardless of how long you wait.

In comparison, Changi is fantastic, with no wait times at immigration and very reasonable for food and duty free, unlike Suvarnabhumi.