New Tires Vibrating Steering Wheel

As stated earlier, you need to have the tires re-balanced. You may want to actually watch the balance run on the machine. I've had tires balanced and rotated with the same issue. Request a second balance run to verify they put the weight in the right spot. Sometimes they just bang the weight on and never spin the tire again.

Cheap because old shelf life tyres perhaps BUT that will have nothing to do with the OP's problem. They WILL balance. But, If not ''round'' they will cause a problem even if balanced, thats why my thoughts of perhaps remoulds.

Looking forward to hear if a re-balance at another shop fixes the problem.

Everyone talks about balancing the tires. No one has mentioned alignment which is as important or more important as the balancing. Take the car to a modern shop that has a laser alignment machine. They will do the alignment and will also balance the tires on an electronic spin balance machine. Any vibrations that you had will be gone.

The OP states that the fitters said his old tyres were in good shape so tracking will not be an issue as the old units would have been ruined and remember he had no vibration with the old units. Can't see the age of the ''new'' tyres being an issue either. Either ''a'' tyre is out of round or a naff balance. cowboy.gif

...wow...this has already been 2 weeks and still no fix ??How long does it take to check the date on the tire,or even check if the tire is out of roundness...new balance in different store about 100baht/wheel ??

...wow...this has already been 2 weeks and still no fix ??How long does it take to check the date on the tire,or even check if the tire is out of roundness...new balance in different store about 100baht/wheel ??

Hope he hasn't hung himself eh. OP, come back. cowboy.gif

Hope he hasn't hung himself eh. OP, come back. cowboy.gif

Actually this is classic posting style..

On reading the thread starter the term "Cheap Charlie" came to mind!

For 4800 baht you likely have rubber bands made in some dirt floor Chinese factory that hasn't moulded the tires properly. The good news is there is an abundant supply of lead weights to help get them into balance.

For future reference, cheap tires are generally used on ox carts. Spend a bit more for your own and others safety.

I just got around to checking today (sorry guys, I'm not retired with time on my hands - I work for a living as a teacher, hence too busy to be johnny-on-the-spot with internet posting, and an income so low that cheap-charlyism is a necessity).

If I found the right numbers, all four tires were made in January or February of 2011. That doesn't sound too old to me. And as I said above they're made in Indonesia. I have had them re-balanced at the shop, and they do seem to be better. For sure its not the car or the alignment - as someone pointed out above - as the 10 year old tires were in reasonable shape, did not vibrate, and had worn very evenly.

Keep in mind this car can only go about 70-80 KPH (according to the speedometer, which I doubt very much is accurate).

Everyone talks about balancing the tires. No one has mentioned alignment which is as important or more important as the balancing. Take the car to a modern shop that has a laser alignment machine. They will do the alignment and will also balance the tires on an electronic spin balance machine. Any vibrations that you had will be gone.

Gary is spot on and the electronic spin balance machine will balance the tyre while it is still on the car.

I went through the whole process a few months ago and took it to the next level. I am driving a car a bit different from the OP, each tire is 11,500 baht and I had a shaking steering column problem at 120 km/h.

Here is what I did:

Rebalanced the tires 3 times -> Slight but not much improvement

Alignment -> Slightly better but still not good

Change front shock absorbers -> No improvement

Then I was directed to a very professional tyre/rim shop at Rama 4. It took them 5 min to identify the problem. Since I have non-standard rims they were slightly bigger than the wheel hub. They had the rim machined out and installed a centralizing ring.

Now the car is driving so nice, that even The Stig will enjoy the ride.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

Not sure what your story has to do with my problem, expatoilworker, but we're all suitably impressed.

In my case it seems unlikely to be the alignment, as the car was quite smooth on the old tires, and they had no uneven wear even after ten years on the car.

As I said in the post above, the tires were, according to the dates, made in the first two months of 2011, which seems new enough to me.

I just got around to checking today (sorry guys, I'm not retired with time on my hands - I work for a living as a teacher, hence too busy to be johnny-on-the-spot with internet posting, and an income so low that cheap-charlyism is a necessity).

If I found the right numbers, all four tires were made in January or February of 2011. That doesn't sound too old to me. And as I said above they're made in Indonesia. I have had them re-balanced at the shop, and they do seem to be better. For sure its not the car or the alignment - as someone pointed out above - as the 10 year old tires were in reasonable shape, did not vibrate, and had worn very evenly.

Keep in mind this car can only go about 70-80 KPH (according to the speedometer, which I doubt very much is accurate).

...so is it OK now,or still shaking?

BTW,did you get some sort of guarantee,when you bought them...even when you buy them on sale you should get it...

Edited by funcat

Not sure what your story has to do with my problem, expatoilworker, but we're all suitably impressed.

In my case it seems unlikely to be the alignment, as the car was quite smooth on the old tires, and they had no uneven wear even after ten years on the car.

As I said in the post above, the tires were, according to the dates, made in the first two months of 2011, which seems new enough to me.

It has everything to do with your problem. My shaking also started when I changed tyres and like you, I had no shaking with the old tyres.

It only does 80 KPH what BDP is the engine pushing out,maybe one of the joints is worn on the steering and had settled into a comfortable place taking the wheels off for the new tyres may have unsettled it or if you have a good spare try fitting it to pjnpoint which tyre is the worst.

Funcat, I have no idea if there is a guarantee on the tires.

It has everything to do with your problem. My shaking also started when I changed tyres and like you, I had no shaking with the old tyres.

Fair enough and thanks oilfieldworker, I was just unsure if your Benz or whatever it is with the special aftermarket wheels and all really translated to my 27 year old Corolla. smile.png

It only does 80 KPH what BDP is the engine pushing out,

I'm not sure what is 'BDP', but I'm guessing its some Euro version of horsepower? The engine is not the original 1300cc one, but a 1000cc one from an even older Corolla, and these are push-rod engines we're talking about here, so I doubt its producing much power at all.

By the way, to Lickey above - you mentioned the 'line' around the tire, yes I looked and it seems perfectly even. There is an awful lot of lead on the front wheels now, all in one place.. but only a little on the rear. I did have the same guy where I bought the battery (another repair+tire shop) take a look at the tires and he said they looked fine, he approved of the lead, the installation, and said that the date (around one year old) was fine.

Edited by ClareQuilty

ok CQ. Youve done the the first test, next,you check the balance yourself, [not sure if your car is front wheel drive?] if not, jack up one wheel, give it a few good heel kicks to stop the pads rubbing on the disc, once its turns freely, spin it, and when it stops, put a mark at the bottom, spin it again, do this 3/4 times, if the mark always ends up at the bottom, the wheel is out of balance, if it ends up in many different places, should be fine,

You say you have a lot of lead on the front wheels, right, take it back to the tyre place, get them to turn the tyre 180% on the rim, then re-balance, on car balancers are best, they take into account brake drum/disc iregularites ect, Good luck,

Hi, sorry basic stupid question (can't find it on teak door either) how on earth do i post a new post??? Can't see the option anywhere but obviously it's there, I'm reading yours. Am I blonde or what?????

I've resolved to take it to the 'very good/professional' type of shop for the special 'on the car' wheel alignment/tire balancing treatment - however I have no idea if there would be a shop that high-tech here in Isaan. I doubt it in Maha Sarakham, but perhaps in Khon Kaen. Can anyone recommend a place? I'll go there Saturday.

Edited by ClareQuilty

I'm happy to report that I got the tires re-balanced - just a simple re-balance, nothing high-tech - at the new 'B-Quick' auto repair shop next to Central Plaza in Khon Kaen. It was 150 baht (they only did the front wheels)and the car did seem quite a bit smoother at 60-70 kph.

They also happened to have another Ke-70 there with the engine out of it - the old one sitting there, and a new (old used) 1300cc waiting to go in. They enjoyed showing me this while my tires were balanced, and told me the whole swap was costing the owner of the car just about 10,000 baht including engine and labor!

Seeing as how I've been told I only have the older 1000cc unit in my car, I'm tempted to consider such a swap back to the original 1300cc.. wonder if it would make noticeable improvement in power.

What will make a noticeable improvement in power is a Nissan SR20 DET swaptongue.png

Can I do that for 10,000 all in? My mechanic here has often offered to put a 'new used from Japan' 1.6 liter Toyota engine in the car but he mentioned about 30,000 for the switch, far beyond my budget. And on top of that he said it would require using an automatic transmission, which I strongly dislike in this type of car.