Cheapest/Longest Calling Card Options With Infrequent Phone Use (1-2-Call Et Al)

meand

First, if you can, talk to me like I am a child on this topic, I am not too sophisticated when it comes to phones/usage. Thanks.

I use my nokia mobile phone very infrequently. I buy these 1-2-call cards, and find the date is expiring far before my minutes are used -- so I am forced to add more.

#1 Is there a best option for me in terms of price for the amount of time I will get to use the card. Somebody was telling me if I buy a 500 baht 1-2-call i'll get a longer time vs if I am buying 50 or 100 baht cards. True? I find it hard to find any info on this.

#2 Is there another company that may suit my (very minimal) needs better than 1-2-call? I really never use the phone, maybe once or twice a week for a couple minutes. Any better plans or options?

Thanks to all for any info.

Regards.

Let's try this over in the technology forum.

Topic Moved.

P.S. I'm no expert here for sure! But I'm just like you. Don't use the phone much. I got on a plan with DTAC that is a bit more money per minute, but has a very long expiration date. I just filled up with 500B and the expiration date is one year out. I've also filled up with lower amounts and have gotten very long expiration dates. Go to a DTAC booth somewhere and ask them. They should be able to get you setup also...as long as they speak English...

• Like 1

This topic comes up quite frequently here, and there have been a number of methods for extending the expiration dates. I'm too lazy to search for them now, but I think you could find them?

My vaguest recollection is that there are specific SIMs with long expiration dates, and other methods of purchasing extended expiration dates on other SIMs.

Not sure if you can still find this SIM: http://www.truemove.com/en/Chaiyo-SIM.rails

http://www.happy.co.th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91&Itemid=64〈=en

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

Thanks all, I followed the links, and did some reading. The way I understand it, I can just get the cheapest per minute SIM from a DTAC booth, come home, ad 1 year validity. Also, I take it I will have to change my phone number, correct? I can't say I understand it all, but I will give it a try.

Oh, one last question. Is there a concrete way to find out what rate I am currently paying on calls and text messages? I try to do it via looking at my balance before and after calls, and it seems to be a LOT higher than what I see other people are paying, like in the 3-5 baht per minute/text range.

Edited by meand

Thanks all, I followed the links, and did some reading. The way I understand it, I can just get the cheapest per minute SIM from a DTAC booth, come home, ad 1 year validity. Is there a reason why everyone in Thailand doesn't do this? Also, I take it I will have to change my phone number, correct? I can't say I understand it all, but I will give it a try.

Oh, one last question. Is there a concrete way to find out what rate I am currently paying on calls and text messages? I try to do it via looking at my balance before and after calls, and it seems to be a LOT higher than what I see other people are paying, like in the 3-5 baht per minute/text range.

You have AIS/One-2-Call? If so, dial *777 follow the prompts; this should allow you to hear your current promotion details. If you have the default plan then it should be 2.14 baht/min for the first minute then 0.54 baht for each minute thereafter, remembering that anything over the minute is rounded up to the next highest minute. Not sure about SMSes, but that should be straightforward to measure, check balance, send an SMS, check balance again.

If you could very clearly state your exact requirements, remembering that more detail is better than less, I am sure we can come up with some recommendations.

I'm guessing here, but I think maybe you stay in Thailand all the time, but only make a few calls each week, and your balance expires before you have a chance to use it up? Can you enter *121# send and report the results? Is it important that you keep your number?

Thanks all, I followed the links, and did some reading. The way I understand it, I can just get the cheapest per minute SIM from a DTAC booth, come home, ad 1 year validity. Is there a reason why everyone in Thailand doesn't do this? Also, I take it I will have to change my phone number, correct? I can't say I understand it all, but I will give it a try.

You have AIS/One-2-Call? If so, dial *777 follow the prompts; this should allow you to hear your current promotion details. If you have the default plan then it should be 2.14 baht/min for the first minute then 0.54 baht for each minute thereafter, remembering that anything over the minute is rounded up to the next highest minute. Not sure about SMSes, but that should be straightforward to measure, check balance, send an SMS, check balance again.

If you could very clearly state your exact requirements, remembering that more detail is better than less, I am sure we can come up with some recommendations.

I'm guessing here, but I think maybe you stay in Thailand all the time, but only make a few calls each week, and your balance expires before you have a chance to use it up? Can you enter *121# send and report the results? Is it important that you keep your number?

Thanks, it is actually not important at all for me to keep the number, I was just curious.

I think the DTAC is exactly what I am looking for, just need to find a booth. I took it from that link you posted I can add validity time as needed.

My requirements are domestic calls only, use about 10 minutes a week, in Thailand long term, more than willing to change number and bail on this "buy as much as we want you to buy" concept smile.png

When I dialed the *121# it said balance of 78 B valid until 25/04/12 (a week after i bought a card lol) lets jump and play with mouse boy, olives when highest download GMM calling melody (does this stuff actually mean anything to people?). I could not get an english version of the *777, perhaps user error.

One last question, does DTAC send all these annoying, unwanted advertisements for themselves in the form of text messages, waking me up from naps and such?? If yes, is there a way to opt out of those suckers??

Thanks all. DTAC here we come......

Edited by meand

I changed from AIS to Dtac to obtain exactly what you (OP) want. Dtac is the best for long service. However, I would add that I use my mobile maybe only 10 times in one year to make calls, I only check the balance once a year (seriously!!) Others call me often, and as my wife and family members also have Dtac the cost fro them to call me is.....well, peanuts.

Unfortunately I get several calls/texts per day from computers all unsolicited. My number is a very special number and maybe that's why. My wife's number isn't a "pretty" number as Thais like to say about mine!!!

I transferred my same number from AIS to Dtac and it was so easy to do. If I hadn't been able to do that I would not have changed provider as too many people worldwide need my number.

Dtac is the way to go I would say!

I hope that helps with your decision. Good luck.

I did opt out of unsolicited advertising calls and texts, and I stipulated any texts from Dtac should be in Eng Lang, but they seem to ignore both those instructions instruction. A minor annoyance deleting texts and exiting computer calls!

Edited by Riley'sLife
  • Like 1

Thanks, it is actually not important at all for me to keep the number, I was just curious.

I think the DTAC is exactly what I am looking for, just need to find a booth. I took it from that link you posted I can add validity time as needed.

My requirements are domestic calls only, use about 10 minutes a week, in Thailand long term, more than willing to change number and bail on this "buy as much as we want you to buy" concept smile.png

When I dialed the *121# it said balance of 78 B valid until 25/04/12 (a week after i bought a card lol) lets jump and play with mouse boy, olives when highest download GMM calling melody (does this stuff actually mean anything to people?). I could not get an english version of the *777, perhaps user error.

When you dial *777 the first thing you hear is "Press 1 for English".

You can call 1175, "For English, Press 2", and ask them to stop sending SMSes.

You can extend the expiration date, up to 20 days, for 1.5 baht. Go to One-2-Call eServices, enter your telephone number, look for the 4-digit password on your phone, received as an SMS, enter it, click on "50% off transfer/validity".

If you use your phone to originate a call or SMS at least once every 43 days then DTAC/Happy have a pretty good SIM/Plan: http://www.happy.co.th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89&Itemid=37〈=en . This SIM/plan never dies as long as you make a call or send an SMS once every 1,000 hours (~ 43 days). The rates are quite good as well. The SIM is 49 baht.

I think your challenge is that you only make ~ 40 minutes of calls per month so let's say ~ 60 baht, but a 30 day top up requires 200 baht.

You can take your One-2-Call number to another service provider but you may find the MNP (Mobile Number Portability) process challenging.

post-9615-0-66550200-1332117345_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-99340200-1332117703_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

Sorry for my confusion, as of my last post I thought I could buy a "happy 40 satang" sim for example, and then fill it up with validity time in the following way (thaivisa.com post):

"Hey,

I don't think anyone has written anything about this yet , so let me explain:

DTAC has a new "deal" allowing you to extend the validity of your SIM card for up to 365 days ( ) for a very reasonable fee (and nope, it is not the SIMPLE SIM that I am talking about).

- 2 Baht for 30 days

- 6 Baht for 90 days

- 12 Baht for 180 days (up to 365 Days).

From any Happy Dtac package (even the cheapest ones 25 Satangs/min), do the following:

- Dial *1013, listen to the prompt and dial 9 for English

- Follow the step by step procedure

- You will get an SMS confirming the new validity of your SIM card.

You may call as many times as you need... until you reach 360 days. You may have to add 30 days at a time when close to 360 days.

It works, I was able to extend 2 SIM cards (one with the 1B/min promotion and one with the 25 satang/min (3B first min) promotion) up to 360 days."

If that is correct, i'll just do that. The other option (Kong Kra Pun sim) you posted seems fine too though. Were you saying i'd have to use that 200 baht credit within the 30 days. If so I wouldn't be keen on that option.

Thanks

If that is correct, i'll just do that. The other option (Kong Kra Pun sim) you posted seems fine too though. Were you saying i'd have to use that 200 baht credit within the 30 days. If so I wouldn't be keen on that option.

Yes, that is correct and should work for you.

Were you saying i'd have to use that 200 baht credit within the 30 days. If so I wouldn't be keen on that option.

I was referring to your CURRENT challenge with One-2-Call.

• Like 1

Yes, that is correct and should work for you.

Were you saying i'd have to use that 200 baht credit within the 30 days. If so I wouldn't be keen on that option.

I was referring to your CURRENT challenge with One-2-Call.

Thanks again, so much. I'll head out and do this today and report back.