Motorcycle Rules Of The Road And Laws

I had an incident last week going to Rayong, stopped in a checkpoint.

The officer claimed that the registration paper (blue/silver) should be

attached to window and visible from outside else fine 400 Baht,

When I asked for receipt he said 200 Baht without receipt.

This is a typical situation in Thailand today, I don't know about the rule

if it was created there or not but apperently the most interesting was the

money, not to have me following the rules.

I still think that if we continue to pay it will go even worse.

what document do you mean the tax disc with the date on it or the vehicle registration document??????

Maybe the cop meant the compulsory government 3rd party personal slip of paper. Most 2nd hand bikes i've bought i never get this with the greenbook and tax disc, but apparently it is just as important.

The tax disc was the paper he meant, he was please when I put it up. BTW, it was a car.

I suppose the whole thing was just created to get some money...

not really it is actually the law that an up to date tax disc be displayed in a prominent place of view. I would have thought the same for most countries.

But I do understand that also in most countries the police would have just given a warning. TIT

Edited by thaicbr

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

funy thing is that I was advised by a cop I know not to mount the tax disc on the bike as they are often stolen so I keep it under the seat, I've never had a problem reaching in there when I've had to show it at a road stop

funy thing is that I was advised by a cop I know not to mount the tax disc on the bike as they are often stolen so I keep it under the seat, I've never had a problem reaching in there when I've had to show it at a road stop

Yep, same here- I usually keep it in my wallet or under the seat. Never been a problem.

Yep, same here- I usually keep it in my wallet or under the seat. Never been a problem.

i do a colour photocopy of the tax disk and put that on the bike; at a quick glance it looks right, particularly in a holder or stuck on the bike. That way the BiB when they stroll through the traffic at a red light leave me alone. I keep the original with the book, just in case. If the photocopy gets lost or damaged then another 5-10 Baht for another photocopy!

You claim that if you stop you always have to pay for something. So you don't stop anymore. How could there ever be a problem than?

violin.gif

• Like 1

I don't have the bylaw...but I know it actually is the law.

The police are lying through their teeth actually.

There is NOTHING in the Thai Land Traffic Act that states motorcycles are required to stay in the left-most lane.

Sections 33 and 34 of the Land Traffic act state that ALL vehicles should stay left except when overtaking, road is less than 6m wide, road is one way, left lane is a bus lane, it is necessary to be in correct lane when approaching a junction, etc etc.

100% correct

Yep. This topic has been covered numerous times in this forum. Staying left applies to all vehicles unless overtaking. Also, motorcycles are not required to stay in any particular part of the individual lane or on the shoulder unless there is a designated, posted, bike lane.

Also, I bet most of you aren't aware that motorcycles are not required to stop at a red light at a T-junction where a road enters from the right if the bike lane line is unbroken. Funny because I often see Thai's stopped there, but then at the next 4-way intersection they will blow though the red. huh.png