Does It Bother You To Be Called A Farang?

connda

Are you offended when someone calls you...  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thought I'd do a poll to see who is offended by the use of inter-country nicknames. I personally have never consider any of these "nickname" to be offensive. At least none of my British, Canadian, or Australian friends have every batted an eyelash when I've called them Brits, Canucks, and Aussie respectively. And I've never been offended by anyone calling me a Yank.

But now we'll find out what our TV expat community thinks.

I've purposely limited this to Commonwealth and ex-Commonwealth countries. And of course, us ex-pat Farangs in Thailand.

Have fun!

Edited by connda

I'm American and I've always found foreigners calling me 'Yank' to be funny. It's not a word we use for ourselves at home so I just find it amusing that Brits and Aussies do. It's like a black person calling me cracker, just amusing rather than offensive.

noty.jpg

There is a reason I'm doing this. I had a TV member indicate that were offended by my use of one of these common slang words. I've never heard of anyone being offended by any term with the exception of "farang".

Brit, Yank, Aussie, Canuck! These are extremely common slang terms. But, one TV member thinks at least one of these terms is offensive. The TV member considers the use of that term as "name calling" and not "civil". I found that amusing. But I thought a poll would be a good reality check. Maybe this humble Yank isn't sensitive enough. Or maybe that particular TV member is simply too sensitive.

noty.jpg

There is a reason I'm doing this. I had a TV member indicate that were offended by my use of one of these common slang words. I've never heard of anyone being offended by any term with the exception of "farang".

Brit, Yank, Aussie, Canuck! These are extremely common slang terms. But, one TV member thinks at least one of these terms is offensive. The TV member considers the use of that term as "name calling" and not "civil". I found that amusing. But I thought a poll would be a good reality check. Maybe this humble Yank isn't sensitive enough. Or maybe that particular TV member is simply too sensitive.

I think you ought to name names or at least post a link.

Ahem.......

I love being called farang, I take it as a compliment. It's a recognition of thousands of years of my heritage, but more importantly a recognition of the inate beauty of our pale skins in the eyes of Thais.

If you want proof of that watch Thai TV, every second commercial is for skin whitening cream. Thai ladies spend half their lives either buying it or applying it. If you have ever sat in the company of Thai ladies when one of our pale skinned beautiful girls walks past you will find them imitating meerkat behaviour. Silence descends ( except from me, I keep blethering, it-s what I do ) and the Thai ladies eyes follow said beauty down the street with a mix of admiration and jealousy.

There normally follows a mad rush to 7/11 to clear the shelves of skin whitening cream.

Even when I know I'm being double-priced I take it as a compliment,

To paraphrase Ali G, I say 'is that cos I is white'. I then make a point of showing off my milky skin and cause a minimum of embarrassment, a maximum of humour, and an overload of jealousy resulting once again in a raid on 7/11.

So instead of banging on about it negatively use some humour and piay up to it. Thais don't like confrontation and don't like losing face but they love a laugh and love a good sense of humour.

Just a spoonfull of sugar helps the medicine go down. So don't get your knickers in a twist, use your humour and don't forget, Thais are jealous of your skin colour.

I'm away for a blether, it's what I do. coffee1.gif

Bananarama had it nailed years ago.

OH, Thaddeus, you make me laugh, what on earth are you referring to?

Maybe this topic has been done to death, but I'll support the OP and play.

As the first Aussie here, slang is almost an integral part of our vocabulary.

Plus we have a predisposition to shorten anything or anyone’s name.

As regards the 'Farang' question ... ABSOLOUTLY NO PROBLEMS TO BE REFERRED TO AS A FARANG.

I asked the Thai gf and from their perspective, it is not used as a derogatory term at all.

Sort like saying connda, do you see that Ford over there.

The implication being that Ford is a group of individual cars (Mustang, Mondeo, Falcons), recognizable by their common feature ... that of being made by Ford.

Extrapolate that into the current argument.

The Thai speaker doesn't know if you are a Mustang, Mondeo or a Falcon - American, English or an Aussie, but he/she can see that you are a Ford - have white skin.

It's simply a descriptor to be called a Farang with no negative connotations whatsoever.

We get hung up to many times trying to interpret what the Thai actually mean, hypothesising and pontificating ... but we never actually go and ask them.

The Thai gf went on to say that there is a subtle hint of endearment in the term Farang ... so don't worry and stop thinking to much.

Relax, and you will enjoy the ride sooooooo much more.

theblether ... you were posting while I was editing

Edited by David48
  • Like 2

Ahem.......

I love being called farang, I take it as a compliment. It's a recognition of thousands of years of my heritage, but more importantly a recognition of the inate beauty of our pale skins in the eyes of Thais.

If you want proof of that watch Thai TV, every second commercial is for skin whitening cream. Thai ladies spend half their lives either buying it or applying it. If you have ever sat in the company of Thai ladies when one of our pale skinned beautiful girls walks past you will find them imitating meerkat behaviour. Silence descends ( except from me, I keep blethering, it-s what I do ) and the Thai ladies eyes follow said beauty down the street with a mix of admiration and jealousy.

There normally follows a mad rush to 7/11 to clear the shelves of skin whitening cream.

To paraphrase Ali G, I say 'is that cos I is white'. I then make a point of showing off my milky skin and cause a minimum of embarrassment, a maximum of humour, and an overload of jealousy resulting once again in a raid on 7/11.

So instead of banging on about it negatively use some humour and piay up to it. Thais don't like confrontation and don't like losing face but they love a laugh and love a good sense of humour.

Just a spoonfull of sugar helps the medicine go down. So don't get your knickers in a twist, use your humour and don't forget, Thais are jealous of your skin colour.

Slightly off topic but, you may be right about the commercials, but do you have any idea how much these whitening creams cost ? for the average Thai it's well beyond their means and the best they do is hope they work in an office.

Back on topic, call me what you like I don't have to listencoffee1.gif

Is it bad manners for me to cut and paste my previous answers to this unique topic? coffee1.gif

If you're going to blether at least make it original each time...

Och endure........you're a hard task master!! OK, OK.......I did ask..............here we go..............

To paraphrase.......... " very often it's not what is said that causes offence but the manner in which it is said"...........

• Like 1

He blethers sense this time. To be called and treated as "farang" indicates an innate sense of inferiority in the Thai..who understands you are better educated and generally richer and smarter than they are.

Its their way of dealing with their jealousy. Surely we should allow them this outlet for their frustrations?

• Like 1

Ahem.......

Slightly off topic but, you may be right about the commercials, but do you have any idea how much these whitening creams cost ? for the average Thai it's well beyond their means and the best they do is hope they work in an office.

Back on topic, call me what you like I don't have to listencoffee1.gif

Your getting a +1 for your back on topic bit...............to me it's a non issue. I'm Scottish, but I will answer to being a Brit.........I fake horror if someone call's me English or Irish, but secretly I'm impressed that they were almost right.

I know I blether a lot ( surely you jest I hear you say ), but I'm at my happiest listening to other people talk. One of the greatest things about travelling is that you can meet some fascinating people.

Very often these people live simple straightforward lives, but the lives they live are so different from mine that I'm entranced.

Get beyond the label and get to know the person.

• Like 1

The average Thai would be better off getting a copy of Photoshop and digitally altering their skin. Heck, that's what the TV commercials do right in front of your eyes! LOL

Lovely Isaan girl puts this cream on and --- ***Poof*** --- she's a Swede!!! (oh heck, hope I didn't offend any Swedish folk)

Edited by connda

The average Thai would be better off getting a copy of Photoshop and digitally altering their skin. Heck, that's what the TV commercials do right in front of you eyes! LOL

Lovely Isaan girl puts this cream on and --- ***Poof*** --- she's a Swede!!! (oh heck, hope I didn't offend any Swedish folk)

Thai girls like smiling and laughing...........there's no way they would be confused with a Swede. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Is it bad manners for me to cut and paste my previous answers to this unique topic? coffee1.gif

Och endure........you're a hard task master!! OK, OK.......I did ask..............here we go..............

To paraphrase.......... " very often it's not what is said that causes offence but the manner in which it is said"...........

If something is said in a manner to offend, then there must be intent to offend. If there is no intent, then it wasn't meant to offend. Unfortunately when you are not speaking to someone face-to-face, overly sensitive types tend to go berzerk if they read too deeply into something that was not there. I'll leave it at that.

The average Thai would be better off getting a copy of Photoshop and digitally altering their skin. Heck, that's what the TV commercials do right in front of you eyes! LOL

Thai girls like smiling and laughing...........there's no way they would be confused with a Swede. whistling.gif

Are we choosing the next England manager?

Sven or turnip head as the bastion of farangness?

Yeah, and eating Som Tum and farting. That can never be confused with anything but Thai PuuuuYing. giggle.gif

Edited by connda

I wouldn't like to be the love child of those two.

If something is said in a manner to offend, then there must be intent to offend. If there is no intent, then it wasn't meant to offend. Unfortunately when you are not speaking to someone face-to-face, overly sensitive types tend to go berzerk if they read too deeply into something that was not there. I'll leave it at that.

This is the nature of the beast on the internet, 60% of language is body language.........obviously we can't see each other so we lose a lot due to that. The emoticons help but they can't replace body language.

On the other hand, there are some soor faced gets on the internet too...........trolls by the thousand!!

( soor faced gets is Scottish for sour faced people of a low nature )..

I wouldn't like to be the love child of those two.

I just realised they have nary a tat between them so I'm adding Buster Bloodvessel to the test tube. Good luck to all the contestants...