Good Thai Gift

Nisa

I want to buy some gifts (nothing too expensive but not cheap either) for some people in the US but can no longer think of things that are sort of unique to Thailand and on top of it, I am usually terrible at gift giving and usually just give cash but would like to bring some cultural type things back as gifts. Any suggestions? The gifts will be for different people ranging from a 20 something year old man to a 70 something year old women who likes nick-nack type stuff.

What about a large box full of those kind of "firecrakers" that make a huge blasting sound "BOOM" , usually used at the thai temples when people offer moneys, the more they offer and the loudest the bangs seems to be, or when there is a funeral so they scare away the spirit of the dead, that would make them feel as they are back home i guess, and bring back all their memories and nostalgic feelings, i am sure they are going to love you for it! please report back after you do and share your joy with us thumbsup.gif

What about a large box full of those kind of "firecrakers" that make a huge blasting sound "BOOM" ,

... suggesting that Nina attempts to carry some explosives aboard a plane bound for the USA ... really smart suggestion.

Nina, wish you the best of luck asking a bunch or males what gift to buy!

Maybe a friendly call to the Consulate/Embassy might reveal an idea or two.

I went to a Thai local market and picked up all kinds of things.... table runners, pillow cases, clay pots, Thai made knives, chop stick sets, dried chillies (may not be permitted into your country), etc. Really depends on who you're buying for. There are those hand painted umbrellas as well. 20 Yr old man = Chang, Singha or Thai Redbull T-shirt ;).

Nisa, please don't laugh at me and pardon the cliche'...for 20 something, how about walking around khao san road and buying him a Thai themed T-Shirt (material quality AND farang sizes are in good supply). I'll put some more thought into the "elder" gifts.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone (except for the explosives, lol). I am still at a loss but I appreciate the ideas and places to check. I will probably just get some of the typical stuff mentioned here but was really hoping to get something with a story .. if that makes sense. I guess I can probably find some stuff that represents something in Thai culture and look up the meanings on the internet. But for the 25 year old male (my son), a Red Bull t-shirt is not a bad thing because before coming to Thailand, I had no idea that was a Thaksin / Thai company and that is kind of a story right there in terms of all the issues surrounding Thaksin.

My mom (late 70's) really flipped over ceramic fruit (to each his/her own).

...and no matter what I've bought them in the past, they've always said "we're just so happy your home"

Jeez our son has bad taste -lol

• Like 1

My mom (late 70's) really flipped over ceramic fruit (to each his/her own).

...and no matter what I've bought them in the past, they've always said "we're just so happy your home"

Jeez our son has bad taste -lol

Same same with my 80 year old Aunt when she visited from the UK-she took back at least 40 pieces. My Aunt was on the hunt for a "white elephant" for her friends as the expression originated in Thailand I believe.

As mentioned the table clothes are a big hit, they can be used for the bed as well and it ties in nicely with Thai silk. I have a friend who stocks up on those little pre-mixed instant coffee sachets and has his family addicted.

You guys make it sound so easy. I put way too much thought into this stuff and then either end up buying nothing or some piece of crap thing just to be done with it. This time I am determined to buy some thoughtful gifts. That is why I like the idea of something with a story or something made of like Thai silk or other thing Thailand is known for even if it is some wood figurines made of Teak for my mom and maybe something to do with Muay Thai for my son ... the others can settle for t-shirts with tuk tuk pictures on them or something.

You guys make it sound so easy. I put way too much thought into this stuff and then either end up buying nothing or some piece of crap thing just to be done with it. This time I am determined to buy some thoughtful gifts. That is why I like the idea of something with a story or something made of like Thai silk or other thing Thailand is known for even if it is some wood figurines made of Teak for my mom and maybe something to do with Muay Thai for my son ... the others can settle for t-shirts with tuk tuk pictures on them or something.

Why not just make a day shopping around JJ Market? Everything you could possibly list, or haven't even thought of but may happen upon, is there at reasonable prices.

-mel.

a Red Bull t-shirt is not a bad thing because before coming to Thailand, I had no idea that was a Thaksin / Thai company

Just because it's got the word "bull" in its name, doesn't automatically make it Thaksin's company. rolleyes.gif

a Red Bull t-shirt is not a bad thing because before coming to Thailand, I had no idea that was a Thaksin / Thai company

Just because it's got the word "bull" in its name, doesn't automatically make it Thaksin's company. rolleyes.gif

Why are so many people under the false assumption that was his company? I have heard that so many times and just accepted it as fact but after your post I checked and apparently it isn't and never was.