Great Old Pictures Of Chiang Mai

SausageKing

Fabulous pictures, thank you for sharing these Songkran pictures. wai.gif

Do you know the specific year these pictures were taken? Late 60's?

I know; they're 1950-1964.

A lot of them are available here: http://library.cmu.a...ture_trails.php (In the Songkran section)

That what I thought from previously enjoying the CM university library pictures. The first picture shows a car that I think is a 1967 model.

A lot of them are available here: http://library.cmu.a...ture_trails.php (In the Songkran section)

That what I thought from previously enjoying the CM university library pictures. The first picture shows a car that I think is a 1967 model.

It's a 1959 Chevrolet Impala(?). A real classic: post-20094-0-81729300-1332237894_thumb.j

/ Priceless

Great shots,always happy to see and learn what my new home used to be like,try sitting with some old Grandfathers and getting yesterday out of them, you'll both be delighted.

A lot of Song Khran shots, this my favourite,looks a bit more frenzied than today for mine.

post-67161-0-36586200-1332246448_thumb.j

It's a 1959 Chevrolet Impala(?). A real classic: post-20094-0-81729300-1332237894_thumb.j

/ Priceless

It's a 1959 Chevrolet Impala(?). A real classic: How did such classic car get here from US ? We know the tax is high now but in the 50s ? Love to own it now.

post-20094-0-81729300-1332237894_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Great photos thanks for sharing. Has anyone ever noticed the large (huge) photo hanging above inside Wororot Market? We just noticed it for the first time the other day. I was with some Thai friends who grew up in C.M. and they never noticed it before either. Does anyone know the history of it or who the people in the photo are?

I don't mean to be morbid. The pictures are great but when I see images like this I always wonder how old the people are now and if they are dead yet. They're Memento mori to me translated as "Remember your mortality", "Remember you must die"

Yes, I know what you mean. I selected a bunch of these pics for a web page a while ago, and this picture in particular made me wonder:

shorts-blouse1950.jpg

This particular shot is from 1950. If we assume that the cute girls in the middle were 20 years old at the time, then they're well into their eighties now.. :)

Secondly: they were wearing regular shorts and blouses for Songkran.. Currently EVERY year there's some stuffy politician uncle or auntie who claims that in the old days everyone was wearing traditional modest Lanna costume. Well, think again.

Same with the folks who claim that as recent as 10 years ago (in some stories) Songkran was so much more quiet and respectful.. Well, the pictures say otherwise.

Great shots,always happy to see and learn what my new home used to be like,try sitting with some old Grandfathers and getting yesterday out of them, you'll both be delighted.

A lot of Song Khran shots, this my favourite,looks a bit more frenzied than today for mine.

Hehe. :)

songkran_myth-1.jpg

Really enjoyed the photos ,Thanks for them .

But what i did notice in a lot of the photos was how uncluttered the electrical wires were on the posts. Now they are just a tangled mess . And how "neat" everything was. Amazing Thailand .

/ Priceless

Guilty of throwing out a random date, as it's before my time, was fishing for that person who would recognize the model. Thanks