90 Day Reporting Is Soooooo Slowwwww

connda

Has nothing to do with CM, but thought you might like to know.... I'm down in Bangkok and went to do my 90 day on Monday. In the past Bangkok was pretty fast, in and out in just minutes. This time I got there about 1:30 or so, and had to wait for 2 hours. Good thing I had a book. When my number was called she completed her part in just a couple of minutes.

I think I'll check out doing it by mail. Thanks for the suggestion.

Seeker

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I copied this off the Thai Government Website.

Notification by registered mail

1. Copy of all passport pages (up to the latest arrival stamp in the Kingdom or latest visa stamp)

2. Copy of arrival/departure card TM. 6 (front and back)

3. Previous notifications of staying over 90 days (if any)

4. Completely filled in and signed notification form TM. 47

5. Envelop with 5 Bath stamp affixed and return address of foreigner for the officer in charge to send back the lower part of form TM.47 after having received the notification. This part must be kept for reference and for future notifications of staying over 90 days.

6. The above mentioned documents must be sent by registered mail and the receipt of the registration kept by the foreigner. Send the mail to your local immigration office or if you are in Bangkok to

90 DAYS REGISTRATION, ROOM 206

BANGKOK IMMIGRATION DEPARTMENT

​IMMIGRATION BUREAU

507 SOI.SUANPLU, SOUTH SATHORN RD.,

THUNGMAHAMEK , SATHORN

BANGKOK 10120.

When my number was called she completed her part in just a couple of minutes.

Exactly the same in Chiang Mai.......so why the long waits?

For the immigration guys doing the 90 day reports, it's a walk in the park.

Just mail it in! I hate going into immigration for any reason. I have the form form with scanned passport pages on my computer, with a 5 day reminder in my Outlook calendar. I also have a bunch of address labels I made. When the reminder pops up, I just print out the form and passport pages, sign the form, and drop it all in the mail with a stamped return envelope. No fuss, no muss. If you send by EMS, you have all the proof you need.

When you go into immigration unnecessarily, you get what you get.

Do they return it with EMS ?

No, that would mean extra work for someone and I don't think they are that bothered if you get it back or not. Just put a SAE in and keep your receipt of mailing. Make sure the till receipt says 'Chiang Mai Immigration' not just some abbreviation like 'Chiang Mai', which could mean anything. If they don't receive it, they will acknowledge that you sent it (I believe). The PO are OK if you tell them before the receipt is printed.

Hmm, I was thinking about if I don't receive the new "slip". Would there be any complications if I don't have it, or is this piece of paper just a reminder when I should do the next 90 day thing ?

On a side note, what is the life expectancy of the arriving card ? I'm not planning to leave the country for a while, so what happens when it's "disintegrated", can I get a new or would a copy be enough ? unsure.png

On a side note, what is the life expectancy of the arriving card ? I'm not planning to leave the country for a while, so what happens when it's "disintegrated", can I get a new or would a copy be enough ? unsure.png

Mine is going on 20 years now but did have to add some tape to the creases to keep it from separating. Wonder if one is allowed to laminate it?

1. Copy of all passport pages (up to the latest arrival stamp in the Kingdom or latest visa stamp)

5. Envelop with 5 Bath stamp affixed and return address of foreigner for the officer in charge to send back the lower part of form TM.47 after having received the notification. This part must be kept for reference and for future notifications of staying over 90 days.

6. The above mentioned documents must be sent by registered mail and the receipt of the registration kept by the foreigner. Send the mail to your local immigration office or if you are in Bangkok to

​IMMIGRATION BUREAU

THUNGMAHAMEK , SATHORN

BANGKOK 10120.

Thanks for the nice summary!

Just mail it in! I hate going into immigration for any reason. I have the form form with scanned passport pages on my computer, with a 5 day reminder in my Outlook calendar. I also have a bunch of address labels I made. When the reminder pops up, I just print out the form and passport pages, sign the form, and drop it all in the mail with a stamped return envelope. No fuss, no muss. If you send by EMS, you have all the proof you need.

When you go into immigration unnecessarily, you get what you get.

Do they return it with EMS ?

No, that would mean extra work for someone and I don't think they are that bothered if you get it back or not. Just put a SAE in and keep your receipt of mailing. Make sure the till receipt says 'Chiang Mai Immigration' not just some abbreviation like 'Chiang Mai', which could mean anything. If they don't receive it, they will acknowledge that you sent it (I believe). The PO are OK if you tell them before the receipt is printed.

Hmm, I was thinking about if I don't receive the new "slip". Would there be any complications if I don't have it, or is this piece of paper just a reminder when I should do the next 90 day thing ?

I was just thinking that too. My arrival card is getting pretty flimsy.

My stamp's almost gone in this 6-year stint, but as someone else said, it's also in the passport and would (should) get transferred onto any new ones.

The whole thing is ultimately to keep us on a leash and not get too comfy (the supposed reporting to immigration if you leave your address for longer than 24 hours; stroll on), while also making money on the side. It is difficult to show any sort of gratitude with such a set up. My side note is, I hope the rest of the world gets around to herding Thai immigrants (ALREADY WITH VISA) and demand they report every 90 days!

​IMMIGRATION BUREAU

THUNGMAHAMEK , SATHORN

BANGKOK 10120.

Just a small note. The main gov't website info is for Bangkok residents.

If you live in Chiang Mai, have a residence in CM- send it to CM Immigration.

Here's the info sheet available at CM Imm for address notification by mail:

post-23786-0-18220600-1332389758_thumb.j

You'll note that CM doesn't ask for copies of every page of your passport, nor a copy of the back (<deleted>?) of the arrival/departure card.

Another note is that registered mail is fine- it doesn't have to be EMS.

Postage and registration in CM to Imm is 18 B. Of course you need a mailer envelope (8 B at Thai Post) to hold all the copies and the self-addressed stamped envelope with a 5 B stamp.

Other than a Certificate of Residence I got last Oct, I've been to CM Imm 2 times in the last 3 years......rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

​IMMIGRATION BUREAU

THUNGMAHAMEK , SATHORN

BANGKOK 10120.

Just a small note. The main gov't website info is for Bangkok residents.

If you live in Chiang Mai, have a residence in CM- send it to CM Immigration.

Here's the info sheet available at CM Imm for address notification by mail:

post-23786-0-18220600-1332389758_thumb.j

You'll note that CM doesn't ask for copies of every page of your passport, nor a copy of the back (<deleted>?) of the arrival/departure card.

Another note is that registered mail is fine- it doesn't have to be EMS.

Postage and registration in CM to Imm is 18 B. Of course you need a mailer envelope (8 B at Thai Post) to hold all the copies and the self-addressed stamped envelope with a 5 B stamp.

Other than a Certificate of Residence I got last Oct, I've been to CM Imm 2 times in the last 3 years......rolleyes.gif

Yes, all this is fine. But, if the new notification sent by Immi in the self-addressed stamped envelope (5 Baht) doesn't arrive, then what ?

Yes, all this is fine. But, if the new notification sent by Immi in the self-addressed stamped envelope (5 Baht) doesn't arrive, then what ?

Send it registered and make sure Chiang Mai immigration is on your receipt......they should honor it.

If you don't receive it back, they will have an easily accessible record (because they are so efficient). wink.png

Edited by uptheos

Pretty simple, really.

Take a digital image (photo) of the TM47 stub before you mail it off. Archive it on your computer or where ever (flash drive if no computer).

When you get the new TM47 stub in the mail, take an image of that and delete the old one.

The receipt you get at Thai Post shows that you mailed CM Imm on a certain date.

CM Imm recommended to me to mail about 2 weeks before the due date. I usually send it 7-10 days before.

In 2 years of doing this, I've never had a problem, but if I did it would have been simple to remail all the material, along with the Thai Post receipt showing that it was mailed within the required time frame.

post-23786-0-54696200-1332395607_thumb.j

• Like 1

Send it registered and make sure Chiang Mai immigration is on your receipt......they should honor it.

If you don't receive it back, they will have an easily accessible record (because they are so efficient). wink.png

When they receive your mailing, they log it in a ledger book for received mail:

post-23786-0-73338200-1332396154_thumb.j

When they process the TM47, they enter it in another book for completed transactions:

post-23786-0-99038200-1332396279_thumb.j

That is what the page numbers in the photo detail refer to.

When they receive your mailing, they log it in a ledger book for received mail:

post-23786-0-73338200-1332396154_thumb.j

When they process the TM47, they enter it in another book for completed transactions:

post-23786-0-99038200-1332396279_thumb.j

That is what the page numbers in the photo detail refer to.

Whilst developed countries like Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam and Malaysia log everything onto a computer. biggrin.png

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

What’s the point of asking “what’s the point?” Its farcical, as nothing you say or do will change it.biggrin.png

Of course you're right, but the point is; the more work they have to do, the more secure their jobs are, so don't expect any mind blowing incentives on their part. Even the long term visa extension appointment scheme works in their favour (whilst helping a few of us), often they breeze through it in 15 minutes and then go walkabouts until the next hourly appointment.

Do people really think they care if you line up all day?

It's simple, really. Just go later in the day, and have a little patience.

I'm sure most people have patience and try different times.

The actual procedure, i.e. time officer receives photocopies from you, checks same, unstaples old 90 day report, writes new one and staples in appx 2 minutes.......so why the horrendous delays and if THEY really cared they'd do something about it! The fact is those queue number sometimes don't move for half an hour while they gas, answer enquiries, disappear and then it's rat a tat tat churned out like like a machine gun. I'm absolutely convinced that is if they did just what they supposed to do, there would be no problem. They could solve the problem overnight, but that would make it too easy and threaten their jobs.

It's simple, really. Just go later in the day, and have a little patience.

That procedure does not work well anymore. It's undependable. One problem they have is the room they enclosed is far too small and confining for the people coming in for business.

• Like 1

Some years ago when they did it in the other building, you walked in and out in about 10 to 15 minutes. No muss no fuss. Once they moved the mob over to the other side in the tiny enclosed building, people started waling all over each other.

It sure was nice when they dropped the 90 day reporting requirement for a number of years.

I'd really know what they are so scared of that they re-introduced it?

Maybe they saw their jobs disappearing like their land.

what's the point of it??? you get your visa why the requirement? it's farcical

Perhaps someday the powers that be at Immigration will do a cost benefit analysis and come to the realization that this 19th century bureaucratic paper-shuffling is a total waste of labour cost, facilities, energy costs and much more, and move address reporting online like it should have been done years ago.

When pigs fly - the bureacracy is a jobs for the boys program, a boss' face is the size of his staff, helping someone in your downstream network get a government job obligates him for life, there's absolutely no incentive to try to make anything efficient.

They could solve the problem overnight, but that would make it too easy and threaten their jobs.

Exactly

They could solve the problem overnight, but that would make it too easy and threaten their jobs.

Exactly

Not sure where you get the idea it would 'threaten their jobs'. They are in civil service and it is quite difficult to remove them (ie. fired, laid off, etc.). Or do you mean have to be transferred to a more difficult job? wink.png

Just to add my bit--

my 90 day is/was due 02 April and having read, in the Thai Visa 'Help' page, or whatever it's called, it mentions a 7 day pre- and post window for this date--so I rolled up at Immigration on Thursday 22 March to check that, since I would be away on 02 and back a couple of days later, that this would indeed be OK--this was at 3.40 p.m. and there were plenty of folk sitting around--anyway, the super-nice Immigration guy on counter 2 said 'why not do it now"--I queried the 7 day bit and was told that it is, in fact 14 days prior and 7 days after. I zipped round to do the photocopying bit, got a queue number and had only just finished filling in the form and signing the copies when my number was called--bingo--in and out in less than 20 minutes. Result!

Sorry to rub salt into other folks wounds--but, it's not always a huge pain in the arse.

P.S. Maybe the ThaiVisa Info page should be edited to include the correct, up-to-date info?? Only a suggestion.

Edited by haybilly