Question About Staying Longer Than The 30 Day Entry Stamp In Passport?

I will be vacationing in Thailand later this year,and I know that I get a 30 day entry stamp in my US passport.

My question is I want to stay for 41 days,so what is the easiest way to get an extension?

I have heard of the visa runs, but would prefer not to do this if I can avoid it, is there a place I need to contact here in the US or Thailand before my vacation.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance,

Tony

you can extend your stamp by 7 days only, for approx. 60 USD.

get a tourist visa. it is very quick to obtain (3 -4 days or immediately if you got to the consulate in person) and with approx. 40 USD, it will be cheaper than any extension and overstay fine.

Get a single entry tourist visa. You can get it by mail if you are in the US. The Honary Consulates in Portland and Houston are efficient. Here's their info:

Visa application porcedures, Portland Oregon.doc

Visa application procedures , Houston Texas.doc

If your not in the US you will have to apply at a Consulate in the Country were you are.

coffee1.gif Probably your best choice is to get a single-entry tourist visa from the nearest Thai consulate to you BEFORE you depart. That visa will get you 60 days on entry to Thailand...and can be extended for another 30 days at immigration in Thailand if you want that.

You can get that visa either by visiting the nearest Thai consulate or by applying for it ny mail in the U.S. (and in many countries also). There is a small fee for that visa.

When you enter Thailand, the immigration at the airport should see that visa in your passport and stamp you in for a 60 day stay. Be sure to write that visa number in on your arrival card and before you leave the immigration desk be sure they gave you 60 days not 30 days stay. (Errors can happen).

Do a Goggle or Yahoo search and find the online web site of the Thai consulate nearest you...that site should have all the information about applying for a single-entry tourist visa you need.

If you do decide to apply by mail. it's best to spend the extra money for registered express mail or overnight service...because you will have to mail your passport to the consulate for that visa to be entered into your passport, Or, of course, if you're relatively near, you can go to that Thai consulate yourself. Often you apply for the visa on the morning of the first day, and then reurn to pick it up on the afternoon of the next day...so be prepared for that. You might need to stay in a hotel overnight.

licklips.gif

Thanks for the quick replies and tips and links. They are very helpful, one other question is it worth it to go through an agency or just go through the consulate/embassy yourself? Does anyone know if these angencies are legitimate or not?

Thanks alot for the replies,

Tony

An agency will cost you more and will require that you give them all the same documents that you'd use to apply for yourself.

Can't imagine many government processes being much easier than applying for a Thai tourist visa.