German Man Found Dead In Chiang Mai Old City Guesthouse

webfact

German man found dead in old city guesthouse

Nopniwat Krailerg

CHIANG MAI: -- Muang District police were informed by guesthouse workers that the body of a German guest had been found dead in his room at 5 p.m. on March 19, 2012.

Guesthouse staff told police that the man had checked in to the guesthouse on March 6 and had not been seen by staff since the 14th. One of the employees knocked on his door to collect the rent and noticed a strong odor coming from the room. Upon unlocking the door, they found the body of German tourist Gunter Göbel, age 43, lying on the bed.

Police were called to the scene as were the investigators from the Department of Forensic Medicine from Maharaj Nakorn Chiang Mai Hospital. There were no signs of a struggle in the room and police found a bottle of wine, some painkillers and sleeping pills and anti-allergy medicine. Doctors say the man had died not less than 5 days before being found.

The body was taken to Maharaj to determine the cause of death.

[chiangmaimail]2012-03-21[/chiangmaimail]

and it took 5 days for the staff to wake up ? so , if the guy had paid for one month , they would wait that long to find the body ? Lets just hope its not another "suicide" . I think its sad to die alone in a guest room hotel far from home ...

How many people pay to come on holiday to commit suicide? Virtually zero would be my guess.

Suicide or misadventure should certainly not be the first default position or expectation, as it usually is here with the standard quote given of no mess, some alcohol and tablets found.

A 43 year old is unlikely to die in normal circumstances anywhere else in the world and I object to the clear preference seen in Thailand to label and go for the easy route with no tourism ramifications and best all round for the Police and Thailand irrespective of doing some proper police work bearing in mind the young age. Statistically this guy should have a miniscule expectation of dying in his room even with some wine and sleeping pills unless it was suicide which is also unlikely as usually you don't fly on holiday to do it.

It could be suicide. It could be natural causes. It could be overdose or mix of alcohol and pills etc

My beef is that EVERY time the police FIRST look for the same easy options and I believe Thailand to be a much more dangerous place than is thought because so much is hushed up or simply not treated as a crime in the first place or properly looked into.

It is a modern scandal that few foreigners are sufficiently aware of and runs very deep beneath the smiles.

Twix, it actually quite a common phenomena amongst suicidal to take a holiday , enjoy what is to be had ( girls/ beach/ whatever) and top yourself. Sort of thinking along lines that I will spend my money have a last bit of fun and then do the deed. Also depending on reason why it can also be away of striking back at ones at home .. quite often suicide victims don't tell anyone they are going to Thailand or Vietnam and surprise surprise... the relatives find out he has died overseas....

At only 43 years of age my default position would be foul play of some sort.

How many 43 year olds back home (in Europe) go to bed and die!!

Sure, some and sure it's possible with underlying conditions etc but it really annoys me that here in Thailand it is always sought to report as nothing suspicious. Period.

"There were no signs of a struggle in the room and police found a bottle of wine, some painkillers and sleeping pills and anti-allergy medicine."

They look for this option with gusto every time.

Then it disappears off the reporting radar and few if any reports after the autopsy and assuming they are professional and not under TAT orders to surpress the bad publicity and statistics the shocking truth would engender. There must be many murderers that get away with murder in LOS.

Here is my gusto....I suspect police called to a death bring along at least an empty wine or beer bottle and/or some sleeping pills/painkillers, so they can make their customary statements to the media after tidying up if needbe. That's at least as likely as all the foreigners dropping dead at half average life expectancy. Just too many and ALWAYS too quick and too obvious in the rush to judge by Thai Police!!

I have the occasional drink and sleeping tablet both of which are fine in England, but take on many more dangers in Thailand, so we know if I pop off at 45, it'll be my non existent underlying condition or an overdose. Hope someone says NO!!!!

And what is your take on the young footballer in the UK who, had it not been for the very quick response of the paramedics on hand with a fibulator, would have died of a heart attack? Okay, so Thai Police investigations may not benefit from the more modern methods of UK and Europe, but to imply every report is corrupt is a bit much my friend.

In my house they will find plenty of evidence, several empty whisky bottles, I save rare and expensive whisky bottles and put them on a shelve as I think they look nice. I have sleeping pills just in case but rarely use them, my wife has alergy pills for Hay Fever. Done and dusted - overdosed! Especially seeing I am just a few years off 70 and only have a few million left! Anybody can collect my whisky bottles after I am gone but you will not find any full ones, I do not think full ones look nice especially Jonny Walker Blue!

• Like 2

I am a fit male with no underlying conditions, I nearly checked out late last year with no warning, I am fine now and was lucky I am quite in tune with my body so I knew something was up when had breathing trouble. Had I been asleep or ignored it I wouldn't have lasted another day. It does happen.

A number of posts have been removed due to statements which are knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, or inaccurate. Let's not jump to conclusions. Inquiring about another murder case from 4 years ago would be another topic altogether and not related to this topic.

I am a fit male with no underlying conditions, I nearly checked out late last year with no warning, I am fine now and was lucky I am quite in tune with my body so I knew something was up when had breathing trouble. Had I been asleep or ignored it I wouldn't have lasted another day. It does happen.

You are fit but how old are you?

Same here - (P.E.) Very sudden, very lucky (37 y/o BTW)

I hear of many similar stories. Sudden death with a lack of obvious surface symptoms is not as uncommon as some are suggesting.

That said, with a police force known for taking the path of least resistance the cynicism on this forum and amongst many is hardly surprising.

Edited by richard_smith237

Same here - (P.E.) Very sudden, very lucky

Yep same one, dam_n those pesky PE's. Makes the beers taste nicer when you dodge the bullet though doesn't it? Glad I survived for no ther reason than to be the subject of one of these threads.

In my house they will find plenty of evidence, several empty whisky bottles, I save rare and expensive whisky bottles and put them on a shelve as I think they look nice. I have sleeping pills just in case but rarely use them, my wife has alergy pills for Hay Fever. Done and dusted - overdosed! Especially seeing I am just a few years off 70 and only have a few million left! Anybody can collect my whisky bottles after I am gone but you will not find any full ones, I do not think full ones look nice especially Jonny Walker Blue!

coffee1.gif

If you have a non serviced room it's not so weird for late notice... I left my room for 2 weeks sometime just travel inside Thailand. Do I have to wake up the guard so they not have to worry? Enough stories already... everything is possible an we don't know anything. RIP

coffee1.gif

coffee1.gif +violin.gif