How Are Thai/Falang Kids Treated And Is There A Nikname For Them?

fredtitmus

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason I cannot copy from my notepad and paste here, so a detailed reply is not possible.

However I shall divorce my wife, take my son to England tomorrow; without his mother, his home, his family, his friends, his whole existence up to now.

It is hard to make this decision, but I realise that for him to be educatedd in a rough area of England, where he will be subjected to racist jibes is in his best interests!

In school my 50 /50 son is known as Key Nok ie the lowest form of shit!

Type of school he attends? Location?

Otherwise your comment is no help at all

That was part of my answer that would not paste; most middleish class children attend private schools, which although still not International Schools, do offer a reasonable education.

For some reason I cannot copy from my notepad and paste here, so a detailed reply is not possible.

However I shall divorce my wife, take my son to England tomorrow; without his mother, his home, his family, his friends, his whole existence up to now.

It is hard to make this decision, but I realise that for him to be educatedd in a rough area of England, where he will be subjected to racist jibes is in his best interests!

I realise you have no intention of doing this......

I have made the decision that my children will have the chance to be children, playing among their famiy and friends in the relatively safe environment of the village. An environment where my wife can enjoy a break if the children go and play with their cousins down the road, where my children can roam and have fun

My wife is intelligent and gives additional schooling at home, even then I have told her not to push too hard, the children are already at school all day, they deserve to have fun, when they want to learn, as they often do, they will absorb the information easier and it is more likely to stick

There is a long working life ahead of most children.......I say the important factor in their youth is to let them enjoy their childhood, before you start conditioning them for the upcoming economic slavery, if that enjoyment is to be found in Thailand so be it

In order to remain on topic, at first my children were possibly seen as different, but because they are always playing in the company of cousins neighbous and friends, older and younger, they are accepted for what they are, Thai children with a farang father

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 2

I'm in the middle of BKK and see lots of mixed kids together with their "Thai" friends. Of course, in Nakon Nowhere things will differ.

Thai's are very open to foreign culture now - but in a Thai way of course. Korea is all the rage and all the movies star Thai women having their noses fixed in a hideously farang way. Then their is the whitening lotion.

I think time for LK has come :-)))

So far, I'm not impressed. My 2yo is very outgoing and easily approaches Thai kids to play, but they tend to ignore him, perhaps pre-conditioned already from the parents about Farang, and whatever that entails. Adults and kids alikhing, alike make a point of calling him 'dek farang' but never engage with him, excepting unwanted cheek pinching and arm grabbing. Sorry to burst your bubble people.

Oz

It would be impossible for you to burst any bubble of mine: neither my 3 year old nor my 8 year old have had an experience remotely resembling what you (or Karen Bravo) describe. Nor do the few other biracial kids in my son's school (they are popular students with a circle of Thai friends just like any other student there).

The Thai education system is a joke.

Around a year or so ago, Thai teachers were made to sit the very exam that they were teaching their pupils to pass. Over 80% of them failed.

Asking questions is not encouraged. By asking a question, the pupil loses face as it is admittance of not knowing the answer.

Asking questions is not encouraged because the teacher may lose face if they don't know the answer.

Everybody gets a pass. Nobody fails as that would infer that either the pupil or the teacher is at fault and someone loses face.

Subjects are learnt by rote. They are taught the answer, but, not why it is the correct answer.

Critical thinking? Forget it.

Being bright is the raw material. A proper education hones that brightness.

Yes, there are bad schools in the UK, but far fewer than in Thailand.

As I've said before, if you abandon your children to the mess that is the Thai education system, just so that you can stay in Thailand, then that is selfishness. It is the parents duty to give their child the best possible education that they can; even if that means moving back to their home countries.

I have had to say goodbye to many of my friends over the years here in Phuket, because they went back for their child's education. They recognized this need and also their responsibility.

You can bang on and make up scenarios where the child is happier in Thailand and how friends have made a success without a degree, but, it changes nothing. Sounds more like you are trying to justify your selfishness.

Oi thai basher! m not trying to justify anything cos i dont even live in Thailand yet,i have a home and a roofing business in England and im going back home next week.im just trying to figure out which would be more beneficial for my wife,future child and myself in the future.

You keep knocking thai education but you want to have a look at schools in leeds/bradford area where i live and have my business,have you ever even been up in the north of England? The kids are out of control,no respect for teachers and the teachers hands are tied.You have to scrap to get your kid into a good school and i knows this cos i have already tried and failed cos i was half a mile out of the boundry.

Its not all about education either,why should the guys with kids go back to the uk for instance,maybe they have sold up and bought something over here or even invested in more property which is a good investment and will be PASSED DOWN to their flai kids.Also they are living an easy life with less stress and able to spend much more time with their kids and concentrate on their future,instead of being bogged down in the uk,working stressful hours,taxed up to their eyeballs on everything and at the end of the day you dont even see your kid cos there in bed.

You gotta look at the bigger picture

BRAVO

Although it will not be in my own personal interests to return to the UK that is exactly what I will do when the time comes for the sake of my young daughter.Fortunately the schools in my home town area are not bad...not too bad at all in fact. And if I am in the position to pay for UK private education then that is what I will do.

For now in Thailand I have paid for a pre-school private eduation and have been very pleased with the results. I will continue to pay privately between both countries (I want my daughters Thai language and understanding of Thai culture to improve before a permanent move home) but will move back to the UK at a later date so she can do the bulk of her education there.

Yes ...I am not looking forward to the permanent move home....but I have to give my daughter the best chance in life and for me the ''best chance'' is an education in the UK.

I'm not knocking fathers who think that a Thai upbringing is best for their child...maybe for their child it is the right decision and i wish everybody the best of luck whatever they decide...only time may or may not determine who made the right choice if indeed there really is a ''right''choice between the two countries.

The main thing to remember is that wherever you are if you are a good parent you will usually end up with good kids who will eventually mature into very fine adults!

Why would anyone bring up their luk kreung children as Thai when they would have so many more advantages in their western countries?

Number one being education and opportunities.

Have you not heard the Thai proverb "better to be the head of a dog than the tail of the lion"?

Many more advantages in Thailand for luk krueng compared to the West,

• 2 weeks later...

A Thai person with dual nationality is still a Thai person and can work for the government. Think about the former prime minister.

For some function it might be security problem having two nationalities, but I have no knowledge about that.

There are no guarantees that your child will be an economic success, even with a western education.

But, the bottom line is that a western education is far, far better than a Thai education.

Anyone that is the parent of a 50% / 50% child that doesn't give them that opportunity at whatever cost to themselves shouldn't have had children in the first place.

As I've said before, if you abandon your children to the mess that is the Thai education system, just so that you can stay in Thailand, then that is selfishness. It is the parents duty to give their child the best possible education that they can; even if that means moving back to their home countries.

I am tutoring a ten year old Thai boy, whose very wealthy family is planning to send him to the UK to go to boarding school next year.

Poor kid obviously doesn't want to go, is scared to death being so far away from his family, but doesn't dare speak his mind.

Formal education isn't worth squat compared to the emotional/psychological support of family.

No, he may not want to go, but, in twenty years time when he looks back, he'll thank his lucky stars that he got a good western education. A goal that's worth some temporary misery.

You never know......once he's been there a while and made new friends, he might like it.

I think your priorities are right upside down. He is **ten years old** to be ripped away from all his family and friends and put at the mercy of British boarding school culture, as a little Asian nerd no less is definitely IMO cruel and unusual punishment that is likely to leave deep and lasting scars in his psyche that can not be outweighed by any amount of academic achievement.

I completely agree with you about the low quality of Thailand's free education system, but definitely not about a parent's "obligation" to totally turn their lives upside down even at the expense of abject misery and rising breaking up the family for the sake of quality formal education. You vastly underestimate the importance of creative play, emotional security, strong natural friendships among peers and so on - to me the formal education part is not nearly as critical as you think.

IMO a child with intelligent and elightened parents is much better being home-schooled than sent out to a crappy Thai school, but both of these options are better than sending a **ten year old** to the other side of the world.

Onionluke – You are trying so hard to disagree and voice your protests against socio-economic differences and elitism that you have not yet noticed we appear to agree...

Lets try again:

A poorer mixed child in Thailand has less opportunity to be treated normally and receive a good education in Thailand than in *England (*for example).

A Poor kid in a Western School in the UK can succeed, he will face far greater difficulty in Thailand, not becuase he is a mixed child, but because the system here simply favours those financially and socially better off.

I think in both the US and the UK, the quality of the education system varies nearly as widely as it does here, perhaps even more so within the free education system. And that variation is 90% correlated with the wealth/class of the school's community.

Add to the mix the collapse of culture, personal morality and social order in much of the west, particularly large urban centers; back home my kids would be surrounded by a mass media "non-culture" rife with violence, heavy drug use, early promiscuity and a total focus on consumerism as the path to happiness. I think most poor kids are much better off in Thailand, despite the poor education system here.