How Are Thai/Falang Kids Treated And Is There A Nikname For Them?

fredtitmus

My wife’s cousin is one of 7 kids, all were sent to Australia or UK for Uni, their child (my wife’s niece) will likely follow the same path. I can already see how their child is treated, she receives more western influence than her cousins.

Whether or not this leads to a better future for the child is yet to be seen, however I would suggest that their child who is likely to study overseas will face much greater opportunity.

While we were all holidaying in Hua Hin, on the next table was an Australian chappy comfortably accommodating every stereo type. Tattoos, vest, board shorts and ‘thongs’, he was also quite over weight and accompanied by a lady half his age, a nice couple though, they were polite and appeared happy. Their child was a pretty little angel, clearly in need of the company of others as her parents appeared to ignore her while she played on the floor. It was obvious she wanted to play and talk with the kids on our table, it was a shame she’d been playing on the floor, her dress was dirty, her hair was messed up, she looked like she hadn’t been washed that day, the kids at our table had to be pushed a little to be polite and play back with her.

All I could think of was Poor Child. She will never see the opportunity she may have had in her fathers home land, and all perhaps due to the lack of ambition the part of her parents.

I may have been over judgmental in my thoughts, I may have been incorrect, I may have been wrong on many accounts, but that is not the point of my comments here. My thoughts were that a child who’s parents appear not to be able to afford her a good International school is missing out on significant opportunity by growing up in Thailand. I thought this was somewhat unfair.

Based on my experiences with mixed couples and how well their children are received in Thailand. As with m any other aspects of life in Thailand and how well people are respected and treated, I believe a large socio-economic factor is at play.

Richard , you realy are a socio economic slave without any imagination , and long may you remain so .

You are correct. Imagination is not a requirement to see things as they are.

Apologies to you if you harbour some jealousy to those who maybe seen as more successful in a materialistic manner – these are my observations of the way Thailand works.

I respect those who take pleasure and pride in a life less universally ambitious. However, I do believe children should be able to reach a point whereby they have the options and have been given the intellectual tools make their own decisions.

This dependant on how well they are educated, brought up and how they have been treated by society. Therefore, the costs and education required of a child to successfully achieve this fits within a certain demographic.

In Thailand, a poor Thai Child, or poor mixed child is less likely to receive neither the ideal education or ideal treatment by society to achieve this. Like it or not, all other things being equal, a poor mixed child is likely better off being educated in his alternative home country.

This is simply my opinoin which in the Opening Post has been asked for. You don't agree with it 'onionluke' thats your choice, they way you see society and how it treats mixed children of a poor background might be different. From your perspective a poor child will have every equal chance to a wealthier child in Thailand, however, in truth I wonder how many would agree with that......

I would like to add blinkered to that . Educational opertunities are not reffereed from a fair playing field in Thailand , or the west , elitism runs with fascism .

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would anyone bring up their luk kreung children as Thai when they would have so many more advantages in their western countries?

Number one being education and opportunities.

Really? I'm not sure the many thousands of young university educated kids in the west who cant even get a job filling shelves at Tesco would agree with you right now...

Richard , you realy are a socio economic slave without any imagination , and long may you remain so .

You are correct. Imagination is not a requirement to see things as they are.

Apologies to you if you harbour some jealousy to those who maybe seen as more successful in a materialistic manner – these are my observations of the way Thailand works.

I respect those who take pleasure and pride in a life less universally ambitious. However, I do believe children should be able to reach a point whereby they have the options and have been given the intellectual tools make their own decisions.

This dependant on how well they are educated, brought up and how they have been treated by society. Therefore, the costs and education required of a child to successfully achieve this fits within a certain demographic.

In Thailand, a poor Thai Child, or poor mixed child is less likely to receive neither the ideal education or ideal treatment by society to achieve this. Like it or not, all other things being equal, a poor mixed child is likely better off being educated in his alternative home country.

This is simply my opinoin which in the Opening Post has been asked for. You don't agree with it 'onionluke' thats your choice, they way you see society and how it treats mixed children of a poor background might be different. From your perspective a poor child will have every equal chance to a wealthier child in Thailand, however, in truth I wonder how many would agree with that......

I would like to add blinkered to that . Educational opertunities are not reffereed from a fair playing field in Thailand , or the west , elitism runs with fascism .

After trying to read and understand your latest comment I now understand why you think our opinions differ…

However, you appear to be suggesting that Educational opportunity favours those higher up the socio-economic ladder? That the playing field is not level in Thailand? Haven't I already pointed this out in the first of my comments in this thread?

Which is why I draw the conclusion that a mixed child from a poorer family is less likely to receive better general treatment in Thailand (including education) than in their alternative homeland, where the playing field for the poor, while not always level is more favorable.

As with m any other aspects of life in Thailand and how well people are respected and treated, I believe a large socio-economic factor is at play.

Edited by richard_smith237

No chance of a slot for little Benjamin Scott Wateranoopu at the old school then ? Course ther is , and he will not be any smarter than young Billy Kaewtoon

born and bred in Brighton . I hope all the bairns in your elitist clan are learning Chinese .

No chance of a slot for little Benjamin Scott Wateranoopu at the old school then ? Course ther is , and he will not be any smarter than young Billy Kaewtoon

born and bred in Brighton . I hope all the bairns in your elitist clan are learning Chinese .

Onionluke – You are trying so hard to disagree and voice your protests against socio-economic differences and elitism that you have not yet noticed we appear to agree...

Lets try again:

A poorer mixed child in Thailand has less opportunity to be treated normally and receive a good education in Thailand than in *England (*for example).

A Poor kid in a Western School in the UK can succeed, he will face far greater difficulty in Thailand, not becuase he is a mixed child, but because the system here simply favours those financially and socially better off.

Onionluke – You are trying so hard to disagree and voice your protests against socio-economic differences and elitism that you have not yet noticed we appear to agree...

Lets try again:

A poorer mixed child in Thailand has less opportunity to be treated normally and receive a good education in Thailand than in *England (*for example).

A Poor kid in a Western School in the UK can succeed, he will face far greater difficulty in Thailand, not becuase he is a mixed child, but because the system here simply favours those financially and socially better off.

Rich richer richest ,. I agree . Well not every thing is as it appears . Snobbery on the other hand is an agents game .

I am tutoring a ten year old Thai boy, whose very wealthy family is planning to send him to the UK to go to boarding school next year.

Poor kid obviously doesn't want to go, is scared to death being so far away from his family, but doesn't dare speak his mind.

Formal education isn't worth squat compared to the emotional/psychological support of family.

No, he may not want to go, but, in twenty years time when he looks back, he'll thank his lucky stars that he got a good western education. A goal that's worth some temporary misery.

You never know......once he's been there a while and made new friends, he might like it.

do you have children karen? Yes the schools maybe better in the west but what gaurantees have you got of getting them into a good school,my english daughter couldnt get into a good school because of the area we lived now she goes to the school i went to which is right next to a rough council estate and where the teachers are still <deleted> after all these years.

Another point is the west is mess right now and everything is so expensive and maybe they have a good life in Thailand and everyone is happy then you move to lets say the uk,you have less money,its cold,your thai wife hates it there.So you and the wife are arguing everynight,neither of you want to be there but your son might be getting a better education.But is he happy? seeing his mum and dad arguing all the time,his mother crying saying she wants to go back to Thailand.

What effect does all this have on there son? My guess is they would be alot happier in thailand and as long as their son is accepted by the other thai kids they will have a happy family life.

Canuckamuck made a good point,what about some teaching at home too,you learn something,your son learns something and he will appreciate it when he is older.

• Like 1

There are no guarantees that your child will be an economic success, even with a western education.

But, the bottom line is that a western education is far, far better than a Thai education.

Anyone that is the parent of a 50% / 50% child that doesn't give them that opportunity at whatever cost to themselves shouldn't have had children in the first place.

There are no guarantees that your child will be an economic success, even with a western education.

But, the bottom line is that a western education is far, far better than a Thai education.

Anyone that is the parent of a 50% / 50% child that doesn't give them that opportunity at whatever cost to themselves shouldn't have had children in the first place.

The bottom of the line is ? Should'nt have had , should have had , .. why don't you love your baurns ?

So far, I'm not impressed. My 2yo is very outgoing and easily approaches Thai kids to play, but they tend to ignore him, perhaps pre-conditioned already from the parents about Farang, and whatever that entails. Adults and kids alikhing, alike make a point of calling him 'dek farang' but never engage with him, excepting unwanted cheek pinching and arm grabbing. Sorry to burst your bubble people.

Oz

I doubt this is because Thai kids have been "pre-conditioned" about farangs. I think Thai/Asian kids are often brought up to be very shy (I don't know why this is). My 16-month old daughter approaches all other children and tries to give them a cuddle and/or a kiss - farang or half-farang children normally oblige where as Thai/Asian kids normally hide behind the leg of their mummy/granny/nanny.

Having done some volunteer teaching in a Thai government school I would strongly agree with this. I recommend that the OP does not raise a child in Thailand unless he can afford international school fees.

MY mother in law wants me and the wife to have a baby and alot of other people do too,including people we meet and dont even know.I must admit the kids i have seen are cute so i can understand why people say this.I even remember a thai lady saying i would like a falang baby but not a falang b/f,which suprised me cos i thought she were very nationalistic..Also i see quite alot of adult thai/falang on television as actors,singers or models.

Seems to me the thai/falang kids are probably well liked but is this true? and is there any jealousy from other kids?

Also,do we have a name for them? I call them flai(pronounced fly) cos im too lazy to say falang/thai.

Indeed, half-farang kids are cute (as are all kids) but as other posters have mentioned, there are far more important factors which should influence your decision to have another child. Do you have the motivation, energy, financial security, stable relationship and time to nurture a new human through the first 20 years of his/her life? Also, have you mentioned your plan to the wife?

So if your homeland is the uk for eg, you have flai child and you have a good happy family life you should drop everything and rush back to the uk that is going downhill to HOPEFULLY get your child into a school that may be better than the one in Thailand and if you dont do all this you are a bad parent.Did you say if you had children or not?

MY mother in law wants me and the wife to have a baby and alot of other people do too,including people we meet and dont even know.I must admit the kids i have seen are cute so i can understand why people say this.I even remember a thai lady saying i would like a falang baby but not a falang b/f,which suprised me cos i thought she were very nationalistic..Also i see quite alot of adult thai/falang on television as actors,singers or models.

Seems to me the thai/falang kids are probably well liked but is this true? and is there any jealousy from other kids?

Also,do we have a name for them? I call them flai(pronounced fly) cos im too lazy to say falang/thai.

Indeed, half-farang kids are cute (as are all kids) but as other posters have mentioned, there are far more important factors which should influence your decision to have another child. Do you have the motivation, energy, financial security, stable relationship and time to nurture a new human through the first 20 years of his/her life? Also, have you mentioned your plan to the wife?

Not influenced,i always wanted 2 children and i do have the motivation,finances,relationship not sure about the energy part if he's a boy i may have to start being the fulltime goalkeeper when he gets to about 10.Its not if its when its going to happen but i started the thread also because im quietly concerned how my kid would be treated here.

I have a jamaican/english friend we went through school together in the 80's and i remember it was tough for him but there were alot of rascism back then,i dont think thailand is like england was but its always good to ask thoughs who have been there or are there.

So if your homeland is the uk for eg, you have flai child and you have a good happy family life you should drop everything and rush back to the uk that is going downhill to HOPEFULLY get your child into a school that may be better than the one in Thailand and if you dont do all this you are a bad parent.Did you say if you had children or not?

It's a little bit harsh, and of course many other factors should be considered and each situation dealt with on its own merits.

All other things being equal - If a suitable school (i.e. international school) cannot be afforded it might be advantageous to school the child outside of Thailand (i.e. in this case the fathers home land).

As already mentioned, while a good education doesn’t guarantee success, the odds of success are stacked firmly against a child with a poor education. Many are saying that a lot of the government schools are not up to scratch.

Again, as already mentioned by another poster, Family atmosphere also plays an important roll, as does a local family support and that of friends. Location also plays a roll, some areas of the UK are frightening and Thailand might be the only viable option…many many factors should be considered and each situation is individual.

But, perhaps the greatest single factor is: Can a good education be afforded to your child in Thailand?.

Having done some volunteer teaching in a Thai government school I would strongly agree with this. I recommend that the OP does not raise a child in Thailand unless he can afford international school fees.

Ok, do some volunteer work at my old grammer school in the north of england first and see if you strongly agree i should go back to england.

One observation i have made this week,my sister in law is 14 the same age as my daughter.My daughters second language is german,my sisters in laws second language is english.My sister in law is way ahead of my daughter in reading,writing and speaking and she is from nampong(isaan) which is supposed to be the poorest area in thailand.Her computer skills are like my daughters,her typing is probably faster.

My daughter is above average at school but my thai sister in law is no differant if anything she is brighter than my daughter but i keep hearing isaan girls are stupid and thai schools are useless.

It's a little bit harsh, and of course many other factors should be considered and each situation dealt with on its own merits.

All other things being equal - If a suitable school (i.e. international school) cannot be afforded it might be advantageous to school the child outside of Thailand (i.e. in this case the fathers home land).

As already mentioned, while a good education doesn’t guarantee success, the odds of success are stacked firmly against a child with a poor education. Many are saying that a lot of the government schools are not up to scratch.

Again, as already mentioned by another poster, Family atmosphere also plays an important roll, as does a local family support and that of friends. Location also plays a roll, some areas of the UK are frightening and Thailand might be the only viable option…many many factors should be considered and each situation is individual.

But, perhaps the greatest single factor is: Can a good education be afforded to your child in Thailand?.

i have just said in an earlier post i dont see any differance between my daughter and my thai sister in law both 14 and my daughter isnt stupid and is well above average at school.I think i will be checking out a good goverment school for my future son/daughter,i dont think i will be paying out 20,000bt a month seems like another thai scam to me.

Why dont i just put my kid into goverment school and put 20,000 in an account for him every month,then at the end of each year invest the money in land or save up and buy some property.

People keep talking about a good education,the best education comes from the parents in my opinion,teaching them the right from wrong,to be polite,friendly and be wise.I left school with no qualifications,i only started learning maths when i left school and got a job as a roofer.Even albert einstien wasnt anything special at maths during his school days.

When i left school i worked with my dad as a brickies labourer,when a friend of mine left he had all the qualifications and went into uni.i now have a roofing business and guess what he works for me as a labourer.He got all the qualifications and wanted to be a graphic designer but everyone else did aswell at the time so there wasnt enough jobs to go round.

Alot of friends and people i know have very successful businesses and didnt even pass an exam at school,my wife went to uni has a degree and never used it,same with my ex girlfriend.

Im not a big lover of qualifications and degrees people waste years of there young life studying for something and when they get it they dont want it.So you can stick quality western schools and international schools up your ar#e.

• Like 1

Ok, do some volunteer work at my old grammer school in the north of england first and see if you strongly agree i should go back to england.

One observation i have made this week,my sister in law is 14 the same age as my daughter.My daughters second language is german,my sisters in laws second language is english.My sister in law is way ahead of my daughter in reading,writing and speaking and she is from nampong(isaan) which is supposed to be the poorest area in thailand.Her computer skills are like my daughters,her typing is probably faster.

My daughter is above average at school but my thai sister in law is no differant if anything she is brighter than my daughter but i keep hearing isaan girls are stupid and thai schools are useless.

So your sister-in-law can type fast?... congratulations to her!

(that is not meant as a joke)

With regards to reading, writing and speaking, do you mean your sister-in-law's English is better than your daughter's German? If so, congratulations to both of them!

(that is meant as a joke, maybe)

On a more serious note, I am not a huge fan of state education in the UK but even standard comprehensives (non-selective government high schools for non-British readers) send a good portion of their students to decent universities where as very few students from Thai government schools make it to university abroad. This is a major problem as even the best Thai universities (never mind the second tier) don't even rank in the top 100 worldwide.

My wife and her sister are from Isaan and both excelled at school, before going to top Thai universities. After graduating their opportunities in the global job market were very limited. My sister-in-law works in Bangkok in a very stressful job for 30k THB/month (which in GBP equates to approximately peanuts). She would love to work abroad but frankly has little chance. My wife moved to the US and UK (paid by parents) but had no chance of getting a decent job so (after several minimum-wage type jobs) set up her own business instead which she could have done without even going to uni. They were both top of their class so I can't imagine what happened to the rest.

As I mentioned I am not a fan of UK state schools, so I do not recommend you return (it seems you are allergic to something back there anyway). I just think it will be an uphill battle trying to get your kid a great start in life via Thai government schools.

However, you sound like a fighter and I am confident you can make it work.

i have just said in an earlier post i dont see any differance between my daughter and my thai sister in law both 14 and my daughter isnt stupid and is well above average at school.I think i will be checking out a good goverment school for my future son/daughter,i dont think i will be paying out 20,000bt a month seems like another thai scam to me.

Why dont i just put my kid into goverment school and put 20,000 in an account for him every month,then at the end of each year invest the money in land or save up and buy some property.

People keep talking about a good education,the best education comes from the parents in my opinion,teaching them the right from wrong,to be polite,friendly and be wise.I left school with no qualifications,i only started learning maths when i left school and got a job as a roofer.Even albert einstien wasnt anything special at maths during his school days.

When i left school i worked with my dad as a brickies labourer,when a friend of mine left he had all the qualifications and went into uni.i now have a roofing business and guess what he works for me as a labourer.He got all the qualifications and wanted to be a graphic designer but everyone else did aswell at the time so there wasnt enough jobs to go round.

Alot of friends and people i know have very successful businesses and didnt even pass an exam at school,my wife went to uni has a degree and never used it,same with my ex girlfriend.

Im not a big lover of qualifications and degrees people waste years of there young life studying for something and when they get it they dont want it.So you can stick quality western schools and international schools up your ar#e.

I understand your point as it is possible to do well without a university degree. There are many stories of great entrepreneurs who have succeeded without a degree (my younger brother is on this path).

However, having a degree from a good university opens up many opportunities in life. I was lucky enough to go to a good uni and that opened many doors for me (and continues to give me an upper hand even now out here). I think it will be even more advantageous to go to a good university once your child reaches that age.

As you mentioned, parents are the key and I am sure with your tenacity you will do everything you can to give your kid a good upbringing, but please don't underestimate the importance of good schools and university.

Western parents that recognize the lack of creative and critical thinking in the Thai school system. Should feel a strong obligation to do some extracuricular work with their child to rectify this defieciency. Even better keep them out of the system altogether.

Otherwise you get what you deserve; robots programmed by the state. Do it for your self, do it for Thailand, Lord knows this country could use some critical thinking.

My child is Thai; why should he want a career in the West?

I am a teacher!

Is your child luk krueng?

If no, then fair enough.

If he is, you've just robbed him of his birthright.

By your logic, if Buhi moved to the UK or whatever country he is from, for the sake of his child's education, then he is also robbing his child of his/her birthright as a Thai. It goes both ways you know.

The birth-right I am talking about is a Western education.

The birth-right of a Thai education is worth abandoning for the former.

Why would anyone bring up their luk kreung children as Thai when they would have so many more advantages in their western countries?

Number one being education and opportunities.

Really? I'm not sure the many thousands of young university educated kids in the west who cant even get a job filling shelves at Tesco would agree with you right now...

Yes, and if you ask those unemployed university graduates what the degree is in, it will be art history, or some other "soft" subject.

Bet there are no graduates unemployed that have maths, or physics degrees.

This is the topic folks, stop filling up pages on the Thai Vs Farang education system and its benefits or not!

You are stifling a thread that is too important for parents to gain real info from other parents with your dribble and banter.

Oz

• Like 1

The Thai education system is a joke.

Around a year or so ago, Thai teachers were made to sit the very exam that they were teaching their pupils to pass. Over 80% of them failed.

Asking questions is not encouraged. By asking a question, the pupil loses face as it is admittance of not knowing the answer.

Asking questions is not encouraged because the teacher may lose face if they don't know the answer.

Everybody gets a pass. Nobody fails as that would infer that either the pupil or the teacher is at fault and someone loses face.

Subjects are learnt by rote. They are taught the answer, but, not why it is the correct answer.

Critical thinking? Forget it.

Being bright is the raw material. A proper education hones that brightness.

Yes, there are bad schools in the UK, but far fewer than in Thailand.

As I've said before, if you abandon your children to the mess that is the Thai education system, just so that you can stay in Thailand, then that is selfishness. It is the parents duty to give their child the best possible education that they can; even if that means moving back to their home countries.

I have had to say goodbye to many of my friends over the years here in Phuket, because they went back for their child's education. They recognized this need and also their responsibility.

You can bang on and make up scenarios where the child is happier in Thailand and how friends have made a success without a degree, but, it changes nothing. Sounds more like you are trying to justify your selfishness.

This is the topic folks, stop filling up pages on the Thai Vs Farang education system and its benefits or not!

You are stifling a thread that is too important for parents to gain real info from other parents with your dribble and banter.

Oz

The question has been answered.

Who made you a moderator?

and who made you an authority? You know the button at the top? "Start new topic", find it!

The question has no more than 2-3 experiences from parents, before you and your multiquote on multiquote crew started in on the I'm smater than you posts

Oz

Should I have moved back to the UK for the sake of my son?

Absolutely! Every parent owes their child the best eduction possible. In Thailand, this can only be had at international schools.

If the cost is prohibitive, then they should get a western education.

The Thai education system is rubbish, full of rote learning with no critical thinking.

If staying in Thailand is worth more to you than giving your child the best education, then that is supremely selfish IMHO.

My Thai cousin's husband is half Austrian via the mother and the father is Thai. The husband is a lovely guy, born and raised in Bangkok, though he did the obligatory Masters outside the country, like his wife. They all consider Thailand home.

He's taken over the family business in construction after his father passed away. They do rather well for themselves. Their kids are going to go to good Thai schools. They can think pretty clearly for themselves.

• Like 1