How Are Thai/Falang Kids Treated And Is There A Nikname For Them?

fredtitmus

MY mother in law wants me and the wife to have a baby and alot of other people do too,including people we meet and dont even know.I must admit the kids i have seen are cute so i can understand why people say this.I even remember a thai lady saying i would like a falang baby but not a falang b/f,which suprised me cos i thought she were very nationalistic..Also i see quite alot of adult thai/falang on television as actors,singers or models.

Seems to me the thai/falang kids are probably well liked but is this true? and is there any jealousy from other kids?

Also,do we have a name for them? I call them flai(pronounced fly) cos im too lazy to say falang/thai.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look Krueng kids are treated very well.

Mind, it's not always 100% obvious from appearances that a kid is half Farang. To me the biggest clue is if mummy looks like a typical 'mia Farang' ex pro, in combination with the appearances of the kid.

But put the same kid with a normal looking Thai person and you may not notice as easily.

Sounds like a troll to me....

Why would you have a baby to please your m-i-l?

no troll and i dont want a kid to impress the m-i-l,i were just pointing out that thai people seem to like the flai kid or thats the impression get.I do want a kid and thats partly the reason why i posted,just wanted to know how the kids are treated i will have a child regardless of what people think because i always wanted another child even before i met my wife.

Look Krueng kids are treated very well.

Mind, it's not always 100% obvious from appearances that a kid is half Farang. To me the biggest clue is if mummy looks like a typical 'mia Farang' ex pro, in combination with the appearances of the kid.

But put the same kid with a normal looking Thai person and you may not notice as easily.

the flai kids stick out like a sore thumb to me i dont need to look at the mother,actually i have been in hua hin this year and none of mothers look like pro's.The kids with the brown hair stick out,maybe if the kids got black hair its harder to tell but you can still see with the eyes.

I only knew one group of people giving luk krueng kids trouble, young Thai males. And this was because all the Thai girls in my friend's son's class (the half boy) were paying attention to him and not the 100% Thai boys. So basically just some childish jealousy.

They get treated well, generally. The most common thing (thai) people call them is "dek khreung", or "half child" (no, not that they're half a person, the grammar in this case would actually be "child and a half" if it were taken as an indication of number/amount).

So far, I'm not impressed. My 2yo is very outgoing and easily approaches Thai kids to play, but they tend to ignore him, perhaps pre-conditioned already from the parents about Farang, and whatever that entails. Adults and kids alikhing, alike make a point of calling him 'dek farang' but never engage with him, excepting unwanted cheek pinching and arm grabbing. Sorry to burst your bubble people.

Oz

My son has had no problems. He does not think of himself as luk kreung though and neither do I. He just thinks of himself as an ordinary Thai person. All his friends are Thai and as far as I know he is the only luk kreung in his group.

• Like 1

Should I have moved back to the UK for the sake of my son?

Absolutely! Every parent owes their child the best eduction possible. In Thailand, this can only be had at international schools.

If the cost is prohibitive, then they should get a western education.

The Thai education system is rubbish, full of rote learning with no critical thinking.

If staying in Thailand is worth more to you than giving your child the best education, then that is supremely selfish IMHO.

There is always home schooling.

There is, but, what parent is really qualified and how many parents actually do it?

A child with dual nationality has no way of deciding in which country they will settle in until their eduction is completed.

A western eduction gives the choice of a good career in either country. A Thai eduction does not.

The wealthy Thais know this which is why they sent their children abroad to be educated.

There is, but, what parent is really qualified and how many parents actually do it?

A child with dual nationality has no way of deciding in which country they will settle in until their eduction is completed.

A western eduction gives the choice of a good career in either country. A Thai eduction does not.

The wealthy Thais know this which is why they sent their children abroad to be educated.

If as in my case, my wife cannot adjust to life in another country and I can happily live and work in Thailand, then the best place to raise our child is here. Add to that that in Thailand the Thai extended family is much better for a growing child than a Western nuclear family.

Is the happiness of the child, living in natural surroundings less important than Western education?

If as in my case, my wife cannot adjust to life in another country and I can happily live and work in Thailand, then the best place to raise our child is here. Add to that that in Thailand the Thai extended family is much better for a growing child than a Western nuclear family.

Is the happiness of the child, living in natural surroundings less important than Western education?

For later in life when they have to fend for themselves, yes....absolutely.

Your wife couldn't adjust to another country? So therefore your child pays the price with an inferior education that will be worth sweet FA when he wants to earn good money, or start a career.

Gone forever is your child's chance of a career in the west.

I am tutoring a ten year old Thai boy, whose very wealthy family is planning to send him to the UK to go to boarding school next year.

Poor kid obviously doesn't want to go, is scared to death being so far away from his family, but doesn't dare speak his mind.

Formal education isn't worth squat compared to the emotional/psychological support of family.

• Like 1

For later in life when they have to fend for themselves, yes....absolutely.

Your wife couldn't adjust to another country? So therefore your child pays the price with an inferior education that will be worth sweet FA when he wants to earn good money, or start a career.

Gone forever is your child's chance of a career in the west.

My child is Thai; why should he want a career in the West?

I am a teacher!

I am tutoring a ten year old Thai boy, whose very wealthy family is planning to send him to the UK to go to boarding school next year.

Poor kid obviously doesn't want to go, is scared to death being so far away from his family, but doesn't dare speak his mind.

Formal education isn't worth squat compared to the emotional/psychological support of family.

No, he may not want to go, but, in twenty years time when he looks back, he'll thank his lucky stars that he got a good western education. A goal that's worth some temporary misery.

You never know......once he's been there a while and made new friends, he might like it.

Edited by KarenBravo

No, he may not want to go, but, in twenty years time when he looks back, he'll thank his lucky stars that he got a good western education. A goal that's worth some temporary misery.

You never know......once he's been there a while and made new friends, he might like it.

What a silly and racist comment!

I teach Thai children at an International school; some are clever,some are not.

So do you assume that any child educated in the West gets a guaranteed passport to career success?

I have taught hundreds of English children, in England and would not dare to predict their career success.

My child is Thai; why should he want a career in the West?

I am a teacher!

Is your child luk krueng?

If no, then fair enough.

If he is, you've just robbed him of his birthright.

By your logic, if Buhi moved to the UK or whatever country he is from, for the sake of his child's education, then he is also robbing his child of his/her birthright as a Thai. It goes both ways you know.

Edited by GarryP

My wife’s cousin is one of 7 kids, all were sent to Australia or UK for Uni, their child (my wife’s niece) will likely follow the same path. I can already see how their child is treated, she receives more western influence than her cousins.

Whether or not this leads to a better future for the child is yet to be seen, however I would suggest that their child who is likely to study overseas will face much greater opportunity.

While we were all holidaying in Hua Hin, on the next table was an Australian chappy comfortably accommodating every stereo type. Tattoos, vest, board shorts and ‘thongs’, he was also quite over weight and accompanied by a lady half his age, a nice couple though, they were polite and appeared happy. Their child was a pretty little angel, clearly in need of the company of others as her parents appeared to ignore her while she played on the floor. It was obvious she wanted to play and talk with the kids on our table, it was a shame she’d been playing on the floor, her dress was dirty, her hair was messed up, she looked like she hadn’t been washed that day, the kids at our table had to be pushed a little to be polite and play back with her.

All I could think of was Poor Child. She will never see the opportunity she may have had in her fathers home land, and all perhaps due to the lack of ambition the part of her parents.

I may have been over judgmental in my thoughts, I may have been incorrect, I may have been wrong on many accounts, but that is not the point of my comments here. My thoughts were that a child who’s parents appear not to be able to afford her a good International school is missing out on significant opportunity by growing up in Thailand. I thought this was somewhat unfair.

Based on my experiences with mixed couples and how well their children are received in Thailand. As with m any other aspects of life in Thailand and how well people are respected and treated, I believe a large socio-economic factor is at play.

My wife’s cousin is one of 7 kids, all were sent to Australia or UK for Uni, their child (my wife’s niece) will likely follow the same path. I can already see how their child is treated, she receives more western influence than her cousins.

Whether or not this leads to a better future for the child is yet to be seen, however I would suggest that their child who is likely to study overseas will face much greater opportunity.

While we were all holidaying in Hua Hin, on the next table was an Australian chappy comfortably accommodating every stereo type. Tattoos, vest, board shorts and ‘thongs’, he was also quite over weight and accompanied by a lady half his age, a nice couple though, they were polite and appeared happy. Their child was a pretty little angel, clearly in need of the company of others as her parents appeared to ignore her while she played on the floor. It was obvious she wanted to play and talk with the kids on our table, it was a shame she’d been playing on the floor, her dress was dirty, her hair was messed up, she looked like she hadn’t been washed that day, the kids at our table had to be pushed a little to be polite and play back with her.

All I could think of was Poor Child. She will never see the opportunity she may have had in her fathers home land, and all perhaps due to the lack of ambition the part of her parents.

I may have been over judgmental in my thoughts, I may have been incorrect, I may have been wrong on many accounts, but that is not the point of my comments here. My thoughts were that a child who’s parents appear not to be able to afford her a good International school is missing out on significant opportunity by growing up in Thailand. I thought this was somewhat unfair.

Based on my experiences with mixed couples and how well their children are received in Thailand. As with m any other aspects of life in Thailand and how well people are respected and treated, I believe a large socio-economic factor is at play.

Richard , you realy are a socio economic slave without any imagination , and long may you remain so .

Richard , you realy are a socio economic slave without any imagination , and long may you remain so .

You are correct. Imagination is not a requirement to see things as they are.

Apologies to you if you harbour some jealousy to those who maybe seen as more successful in a materialistic manner – these are my observations of the way Thailand works.

I respect those who take pleasure and pride in a life less universally ambitious. However, I do believe children should be able to reach a point whereby they have the options and have been given the intellectual tools make their own decisions.

This dependant on how well they are educated, brought up and how they have been treated by society. Therefore, the costs and education required of a child to successfully achieve this fits within a certain demographic.

In Thailand, a poor Thai Child, or poor mixed child is less likely to receive neither the ideal education or ideal treatment by society to achieve this. Like it or not, all other things being equal, a poor mixed child is likely better off being educated in his alternative home country.

This is simply my opinoin which in the Opening Post has been asked for. You don't agree with it 'onionluke' thats your choice, they way you see society and how it treats mixed children of a poor background might be different. From your perspective a poor mixed child might have every equal chance when compared to a wealthier child in Thailand, however, in truth I wonder how many would agree with that......

Edited by richard_smith237