Foreigner Assaulted At Bangkok BTS Station By Security Guard - Police Launch Investigation

webfact

I can only hope this farang spends some time in a Thai jail to help him learn some respect for authority in a foreign country. Based on this video he is a clear embarrassment to westerners who respect and appreciate being here. This guy was a disturbance well before he fought with the authorities and clearly why somebody started video taping this moron who clearly shouldn't be allowed to use public transportation until he can show he can do it without incident as the many many other millions of people do here.

You seem to know everything, amazing superman!

• Like 1

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have used the BTS since its inception and never had a problem. If someone says please don't take balloons on the train. I would say "oh okay no problem. I will get a taxi". I fully understand why on a crowded train you don't want balloons stuck in your face.

It's not that...

Fact is there's been balloons sold with very flammable gas inside them.

TIT I'm afraid.

The rule is there for good reason.

Sorry to tell you this but ballons are not filled with flammable gas inside them. They are filled with a non flammable gas. I think its Helium. Do you think that Disney would give/sell ballons to children if they were dangerous.

Let me repear one more time....

In THAILAND balloons have been sold with flammable gas inside them.

I know they aren't supposed to be, but this is Thailand.

There's a history here with balloons being filled with what they shouldnt.

• Like 1

Back in the UK transport staff going about their work are verbally abused and assaulted by arrogant members of the public on a daily basis because there is very little chance of the perpetrator being brought to book. Unfortunately, for some farangs, they think they can treat transit staff here as they do back in the West. Bad move, because if you start behaving aggressively towards staff you will be dealt with. If you`re asked to adhere to the byelaws here, just do it - it really is that simple and your day won`t be spoilt. Too many people take it as a personal slight if challenged (even some farangs don`t like to lose face).

It's fairly clear the poor guy did his level best to ignore the guard, who clearly wasn't acting in a manner conducive to resolving the situation amicably. Since when did a few balloons warrant being assaulted with a weapon? He was holding them for his daughter who was forced to witness the entire incident. Some common sense from the guards would be welcome.

As it is I'm surprised that the man showed such restraint, with blood pouring from his head, he clearly just wanted to get away from the guard and put the incident behind him. Meanwhile the guard, obviously like many in a position of "power" wasn't happy with merely assaulting the guy and terrorizing his daughter, he had to chase after them and try to provoke further response.

I think he would of been entirely justified knocking the guard out. Whenever you are confronted in a physical manner like this with children in tow it's hard not to let the primal response to defend your family out. He acted with great restraint and the guard should consider himself lucky to be able to walk away from this.

How about some commonsense from the teacher. He was told he wasn't allowed to take the balloons on the train, but he ignored those instructions.

And that warrants being belted in the head with a weapon?

It couldn't possibly be a case of lost in translation could it?

No, those BTS guards all speak perfect English and I recall all the signs clearly stating that no balloons are allowed on the trains... doubt the man was at all confused having been let on with the balloons earlier.

• Like 1

I have used the BTS since its inception and never had a problem. If someone says please don't take balloons on the train. I would say "oh okay no problem. I will get a taxi". I fully understand why on a crowded train you don't want balloons stuck in your face.

It's not that...

Fact is there's been balloons sold with very flammable gas inside them.

TIT I'm afraid.

The rule is there for good reason.

Sorry to tell you this but ballons are not filled with flammable gas inside them. They are filled with a non flammable gas. I think its Helium. Do you think that Disney would give/sell ballons to children if they were dangerous.

That may be true. So, by that reasoning, having to disgard of innocent liquids at the airport check-in means that the passenger can just take matters into his own hands and refuse to comply?

Right or wrong policy, we are talking about public conveyences which must care for the safety of many persons. If you are told the policy is no balloons, that is it. At the airport they would arrest you quickly if you disobeyed any security order, no matter how seemingly silly.

Guess you haven't been here long. It's not uncommon in Thailand to use Hydrogen as it it cheaper.

• Like 1

I know the people involved, heard about it when it happened & they have seen the CCTV footage which shows the whole episode, started by the guard hitting him with his metal detector, hence the cut eye at the start of the youtube clip.

The person who took the video also does explain that her clip is only the final 2 minutes of the whole episode, which she started to record because she thought the foreigners were being treated unfairly. This is stated on the Andrew Drummond website I beleive.

Far too many posts implying & suggesting things that are very wide of the mark.

Policeman they spoke to at the time said he wasn't going to arrest any Thais, so the farangs had better go home!

The people involved wish it hadn't got this far, but that is the power of video media online these days!

It "started" with the guard hitting him with his metal detector??

Surely there was something before that.

so the guard was, originally, on the other side of the gates? at a detections post, or roaming around. deciding to whack on the head, for no reason, for having ballooons? why continue on, then? have the authorities come to that location! oh, I'm bleeding, but these ballooons are just way more important! got to get them on the BTS

In Thailands defense if this were his own country and balloons weren't allowed on the transit 1. He would not have tried to bring them along. 2. He would have not only took a hit on the skull but would have been arrested. What is amazing to me is that people feel like they can do whatever they want when they are in this country, like strolling in the middle of the street. They would never do that where they come from. Balloons? Either the little girl is terribly spoiled or this guy is just a idiot for not complying

• Like 1

Are baloons any different to a pipe bomb? No, not when you don't know what they are filled with.

errr - balloons tend not to contain shrapnel, they'd have trouble floating if they did...

Clearly no difference at all, god I was lucky at all those fairgrounds as a child, remind me to bash my 70 year old father in the head for exposing me to such dangers.

Balloon: A balloon is an inflatable flexible bag filled with a gas, such as helium, hydrogen, nitrous oxide, oxygen, or air. Modern balloons can be made from materials such as rubber, latex, polychloroprene, or a nylon fabric, while some early balloons were made of dried animal bladders, such as the pig bladder.[1]

Pipe bomb: A pipe bomb is an improvised explosive device, a tightly sealed section of pipe filled with an explosive material. The containment provided by the pipe means that simple low explosives can be used to produce a relatively large explosion, and the fragmentation of the pipe itself creates potentially lethal shrapnel.

The fact that some idiot in Thailand has filled a balloon with explosive gas in the past shouldn't make it illegal for children to travel on public transport with them. That is totally ridiculous.

I guess because a pencil has been used to stab someone to death previously we should ban pencils from schools? And should our children attempt to take them into schools the teachers would be warranted in clubbing them over their heads. Is there no common sense left in this world at all?

• Like 2

If this was the US, the guy would still be feeling the effects of the stun guns and pepper spray if not still recuperating in the in the hospital from injuries while handcuffed to a jail bed .

But if this incident did happen in the Good 'ol US of A then the guard would have been able to explain why the guy had been refused entry even though his daughter had been let through, and there may have even been a sign explaining what is prohibited on the train...

Camera never lies. As*hole aggressive farang will not leave as small BTS guard tries (without touching him) to get his angry ass away from the situation. Even another farang trying to help is getting <deleted> from this prat. Can't imagine he acted any different at the guard who struck him. Big mad farang vs small guard. I know what I would do. Hope the prat learnt something today.

Temper temper big fellah.

• Like 1

The latest update from Webfact is that BTS are lodging a complaint against the foreign passenger.

Complaining? Who to? Hopefully they will release the CCTV footage.

Edited by F1fanatic

Are baloons any different to a pipe bomb? No, not when you don't know what they are filled with.

errr - balloons tend not to contain shrapnel, they'd have trouble floating if they did...

Clearly no difference at all, god I was lucky at all those fairgrounds as a child, remind me to bash my 70 year old father in the head for exposing me to such dangers.

Balloon: A balloon is an inflatable flexible bag filled with a gas, such as helium, hydrogen, nitrous oxide, oxygen, or air. Modern balloons can be made from materials such as rubber, latex, polychloroprene, or a nylon fabric, while some early balloons were made of dried animal bladders, such as the pig bladder.[1]

Pipe bomb: A pipe bomb is an improvised explosive device, a tightly sealed section of pipe filled with an explosive material. The containment provided by the pipe means that simple low explosives can be used to produce a relatively large explosion, and the fragmentation of the pipe itself creates potentially lethal shrapnel.

The fact that some idiot in Thailand has filled a balloon with explosive gas in the past shouldn't make it illegal for children to travel on public transport with them. That is totally ridiculous.

I guess because a pencil has been used to stab someone to death previously we should ban pencils from schools? And should our children attempt to take them into schools the teachers would be warranted in clubbing them over their heads. Is there no common sense left in this world at all?

The Barbican in Thaniya had a party once and they had balloons covering the ceiling with balloons.

At some point, one of the balloons burst into flames and within seconds the whole lot went up in a flash. Fortunately, the fire went out almost as soon as it started - all of the balloons went up and fortunately nothing else caught on fire.

This isn't a one-off - the people selling balloons seem to fill them with anything they want...

BTS file complaints against foreign passenger

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Mass Transit System (BTS), the operator the Skytrain, has lodged a complaint against a foreign passenger who allegedly quarrelled and fought with BTS security guards over his attempt to bring along four floating balloons into a train.

The passenger, John Behan, has also filed a complaint against the security guards. In his complaint, the guards attacked him in front of his young daughter.

"Our complaint is about the damages to property and attempts to attack our staff members," BTS executive Anat Arbhabhirama said Thursday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-22

well it appears that BTS have viewed the CCTV, seen what has actually happened, and are now pressing charges. I don't think they would do this if all the guy had done was walk through a barrier and then got smacked.

• Like 1

+2 agree 100%

I'm amazed that so many in this thread take it as an opportunity to bash Thailand. I don't know, myself, what happened before the filming began, but in the video he is aggressive and belligerent, while BTS staff seemed to be attempting to manage the situation as positively as they can. I have rarely encountered rudeness from either BTS or MRT staff, and if anything just the opposite. Since he still had the balloons and his continued aggressive behavior, it was obvious he was uncooperative. I feel sorry for the little girl with him, and I don't believe that he would have been struck by security staff without provocation.

• Like 2

And that warrants being belted in the head with a weapon?

It couldn't possibly be a case of lost in translation could it?

No, those BTS guards all speak perfect English and I recall all the signs clearly stating that no balloons are allowed on the trains... doubt the man was at all confused having been let on with the balloons earlier.

I don't know what happened prior to him being hit, or the circumstances surrounding him being hit.

You don't need to even hear what was said to know that it was pretty clear that the guards were saying he wasn't allowed on the train with the balloons. He might have been confused with what being let on the train before, but that doesn't excuse him for pushing through the guards when they were trying to stop him.

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Mass Transit System (BTS), the operator the Skytrain, has lodged a complaint against a foreign passenger who allegedly quarrelled and fought with BTS security guards over his attempt to bring along four floating balloons into a train.

The passenger, John Behan, has also filed a complaint against the security guards. In his complaint, the guards attacked him in front of his young daughter.

"Our complaint is about the damages to property and attempts to attack our staff members," BTS executive Anat Arbhabhirama said Thursday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-22

well it appears that BTS have viewed the CCTV, seen what has actually happened, and are now pressing charges. I don't think they would do this if all the guy had done was walk through a barrier and then got smacked.

The article doesn't say they are pressing charges - they are filing a complaint.

Which is why I asked with whom??

It gives a whole new meaning to going clubbing in Bangkok!

On a serious note, it does worry me on the level of gratuitous violence that I am now reading about by Thais on farangs.

Judging from Thai news (TV and print), and even the dramas on TV, Thais are a very physically violent people. Sometimes non-thais are on the receiving end.

It is easy to look at this incident and say ,"Why did he do that ? " and why didn't he do this ?".

Now what could he have done (the guy that was banged on the head ) when aproached by the guard for carrying his daughter's balloons into a balloon restricted zone . Well , he could have said . " alright fella , have it your way but my daughter is very upset now " . Then he could have drawn faces , not dissimilar to that of the gaurd , on the balloons with a majic marker and then .....

Of course he could have told the guard , " these faces on these balloons are you and your mumma and dadda " , this said his daughter could have had the pleasure of bursting all the balloons before getting on the train , with her mum's trusty hairpin .

That would have shown the security gaurd his folly and provided a much more entertaining video on utube .

Top o' the mornin' to ya !

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-22

contrary to the Posts, above that state BTS is compensating them. hmm... that they admitted they are wrong... parralel Universes would explain some of this 555

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-22

The article doesn't say they are pressing charges - they are filing a complaint.

Which is why I asked with whom??

Well I doubt it is with the girl that cleans the drip trays in Gullivers. File a complaint with police who then press charges if they see a reason (or a way to profit from ) it

From what I saw of the video and read elsewhere, it's the guys own fault. He tried to do something that isn't allowed, got abusive, and got what was to be expected when you get abusive with security/police.

To me the guy got what he deserved, he was probably a abusive Russian, they can really get pushy, had them many times push in front of me at shopping centers.

Edited by PingManDan

I don´t really see why he shouldn´t be allowed to carry the balloons on the train, when it´s no crime to bring a dirty bicycle.

I feel sad for the little girl, who had to witness the violence from both her dad and the security guard.

Possession of balloons, such a serious crime that you get a punch in the face, a rap on the head with a club, all in front of your wife and daughter. Nice stuff.

The video starts with him having already been assaulted and severely bleeding and from that point he is just trying to get through the BTS, away from the guard and onto the platform. He only pushes back when he is cornered by several guards.

The fact is, him and his large friend could've torn that short guard to pieces between them, and given that the guy had already been dealt a potentially lethal blow to the head I think the two farangs show great restraint from what the video shows. If his only crime is trying to carry some balloons onto the skytrain, given the level and range and crimes that are constantly in your face in this city, is it any surprise he thought it wouldnt be a problem?

Disrespectful farang or undermined jobsworth guard? Its just speculation at this point. Chances are we will never know the truth. If the farang comes out with his side of the story I would be more inclined to believe it though.

Anybody who lives here knowing the tolerance for very serious crimes everywhere you look and still thinks that this guy deserves a beating in front of his family for trying to carry some balloons onto the BTS seriously needs to re-check their moral compass.

Which video were you watching? The video starts with him trying to get into the BTS where the guards were. He then pushed through the guards to try to get to the platform. They guards were trying to stop him because he was disregarding the rules about taking balloons on the train.

One thing I've always noticed living here for 10 years is that Thai's are very quick to judge and attack farangs that get into heated exchanges with other Thais. Often ganging up on the farang.

I've witnessed it many times and been the victim of it myself. When fights break out between 1 farang and 1 Thai, immediately there are 5-15 other Thais that come out of nowhere to join in on the beating.

Thai's are like angry dogs when fights break out. They don't care who started it or what it's about, they just want to get a punch or kick in and then run away - bunch of <deleted>' cowards they are!

Reminds me of the guy (probably Thai) who hit a Buddha statue with a hammer in Bkk several years ago and was beaten to death by the crowd. A crowd of Thais who were praying to Buddha, had no violence done towards them, and ended up beating someone to death. A violent people.

This is such an easy fix. Foreigners, don't go to Thailand! Stay away, Thai's and Thailand do not want you there. Thailand should close its borders and refuse entry to anyone other than Thai's. this would fix all the issues , No more Sex traffic, no more Tuk Tuk Scams, no more Jet Ski scams. No more assaults on Thai's by foreigners or assaults on foreigners by Thai's. This is a perfect solution. So for all who wants to to visit Thailand... do it via the internet. Stay home its safer no chance of getting beaten, robbed, or even murdered.

Yeah, cos no one ever gets beaten, robbed or murdered in the rest of world. :rolleyes: