Foreigner Assaulted At Bangkok BTS Station By Security Guard - Police Launch Investigation

webfact

We probably don't know all the facts, but foreigners must be on best behavior in a foreign country, no exceptions. The law in some Asian countries isn't what we would expect back home, wherever that is. If a security person/police officer asks me to stop, anywhere in the world, I would be doing exactly as he says, and resolving the problem.

As I see it, the foreigner in this story deserved all he got, and was lucky not to be given more. He will have some time to reflect on his arrogance, and may find himself back in Ireland, or teaching English in China, Vietnam or elsewhere instead of Thailand, and that is exactly as it should be.

Chickin, post # 21, said True, the guy was getting out of line, but this is clearly abuse. The rent-a-cop should not use his baton unless he, or someone else, is being attacked. He should lose is job and be fined and imprisoned. Sad that so many foreigners support this blatant abuse.

Obviously you know the policy regarding baton use by security personnel in Thailand Chickin? Bear in mind it may not be, and almost certainly isn't, the same as back home. Mr Behan deserved everything he was given in my opinion.

CM Steve, post # 14, I agree, and I think you have a good attitude.

Petersar, post # 243, why would they need to call the 'real' police. The guy was in violation of BTS policy, that was pointed out, but he felt he was above the rules, so became aggressive and was dealt with by the security personnel, no doubt under their rules. 'Real' police?? What for? To arrest him and throw him in the pen? The arrogant SOB deserves to be in the pen.

Edited by F4UCorsair
  • Like 1

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

leave us face it, the guy used bad judgement for for trying to take a big load of balloons on the already over crowed trains in BKK, I lived there 2 years and took the trains often, I hated seeing farangs with huge backpacks getting on, they would jam these packs in peoples faces, no way to avoid it, they should not be allowed on either. But I guess being struck with a stick is a bit harsh, just tell the guy he "cannot". But I have seen Thais get on with huge loads of product (clothes and such from the whole sale markets) and they had no problems from security...

Edited by Rainmon

http://www.zazzle.co...953747528613491

BTS has a rule no balloons. This is very clear. I almost got into a similar situation when it was my sons birthday. I was in a hurry, had balloons and was stopped. I nearly went balistic. I seriously thought about taking on the BTS guard. However I kept my cool and explained that I was just passing through the station and not taking the train. This is an unfortunate event and hopefully the BTS system will relax their no balloon rule.

ballons are clearly not allowed in the MRT but i never saw such signs in the BTS

No Ballons sign in Thai BTS Skytrain.

Great slick! That's an iPad case.

Apparently Chalerm has just released a press statement that by the end of the year, balloons and their usage will be reduced by 80% in Thailand. A trade minister has also announced that by 2013 Thailand will be a hub for the manufacture of balloons safe for use on mass transit systems.

• Like 2

This is typical farang over reaction.: It happens way too much in the west, where people don't get what they want, so get abusive and aggressive. The guy should show some restraint, especially with his young daughter with him - she must have been scared to death! It is lucky that his mate physically held him back, because all hell would have broken loose, as all the other security guards and employees joining in. I am sorry, but you do not get clubbed in the head for nothing. It is a shame that the video doesn't show it all.

If people start carrying hydrogen ballon into BTS/MRT, it could be made into a big bomb.

Remember Zeppelin?

Sure do.

Matter of fact I thought these two guys were Jimmy Page and Robert Plant in disguise.

They both looked "dazed & confused as they made their way slowly towards the BTS Stairway to Heaven.drunk.gif

• Like 2

All I see is an arrogant, deranged baldy farang with his poor look keung kid being dragged around while the father just shows himself and up for being a gobby prat.

Farang coming into Thailand are some of the lowest of the low nowadays. All the decent ones are few and far between imo.

Hear, Hear!!

Seconded.

Pathetic

Me too!

I obviously don't know what actually happened and stopping a kids balloons is over the top, but the security guard probably has the education of a western 10 year old and has never been taught to think for himself. He earns about 6000B a month and probably has a family to feed on that. Obviously with security stepped up everywhere after 9/11 then on the BTS after the red shirts bombs some on the BTS and the recent Bangkok bomb he has probably been told to follow rules to the letter and will do to keep his job so he can feed his family. When faced with a guy twice his size ignoring him either through a language problem or arrogance he will resort to the only training he has.

If you want to use the BTS or anything else you have to follow the rules and the people employed to enforce them. No one has a right to just ignore them. What else was the security guard meant to do he must have asked him to not go through with them first and got ignored. " Hey just go on with them and ignore the security rules, I don't mind losing my job and not being able to feed my family". If this was an Asian guy ignoring security rules at a western train station or airport the Asian guy would be looking at a prison sentence.

Obviously the Thai security guard is not very smart at all. He should have seen the little girl and make assumption that the little girl needs her ballons, and let the Farang off.

Just like the airport security guard. I try to smuggle a bottle of drinking water at LHR (very expensive air-size). The not so smart South Asian security guard caught me. I point to my 5 years old daughter, explaining that she needs her water all the time. Fortunately I did not try to be agressive.

Edited by sparebox2

I obviously don't know what actually happened and stopping a kids balloons is over the top, but the security guard probably has the education of a western 10 year old and has never been taught to think for himself. He earns about 6000B a month and probably has a family to feed on that. Obviously with security stepped up everywhere after 9/11 then on the BTS after the red shirts bombs some on the BTS and the recent Bangkok bomb he has probably been told to follow rules to the letter and will do to keep his job so he can feed his family. When faced with a guy twice his size ignoring him either through a language problem or arrogance he will resort to the only training he has.

If you want to use the BTS or anything else you have to follow the rules and the people employed to enforce them. No one has a right to just ignore them. What else was the security guard meant to do he must have asked him to not go through with them first and got ignored. " Hey just go on with them and ignore the security rules, I don't mind losing my job and not being able to feed my family". If this was an Asian guy ignoring security rules at a western train station or airport the Asian guy would be looking at a prison sentence.

Obviously the Thai security guard is not very smart at all. He should have seen the little girl and make assumption that the little girl needs her ballons, and let the Farng off.

Just like the airport security guard. I try to smuggle a bottle of drinking water at LHR (very expensive air-size). The not so smart South Asian security guard caught me. I point to my 5 years old daughter, explaining that she is you and needs water all the time. Fortunately I did not try to be agressive.

You should have reported that guard straight away.

• Like 1

Balloons are not allowed on electrified rail networks as if the balloon has a line and wonders off in a gust of wind the line will conduct the electricity and most probably kill the hapless person connected to the balloon. This is a lot more relevant on rail networks with overhead lines, as has been mentioned before we don't have solid facts about what occurred before this was filmed but having worked on trains back home, balloons are definitely safety risks on electrified rail networks and I could speculate this whole issue happened because the foreigner was told he couldn't enter with balloons.

• Like 1

Its not very clear on the video what happen actually ... I will say ..those security guard act like if they were policeman (come on they are only "guard" LOL) and maybe the foreigner was disturb by the heat and the baloons of the kid. Miscommunication for sure as those guards hardly speak english. I dont think its necessary to publish this kind of stuff no ?

Don't know if you are aware but every time you step onto the BTS 'zone' you are under the guards jurisdiction.

There's a big list of 'rules' at the entrance area's to the BTS. I and many farang carry pepper spray wherever we go.

One of the rules of the BTS is 'no weapons' apart from cops and guards.

Thankfully because this is Thailand the BTS is very laissez-faire about enforcing it, they want to keep the farang happy and not be like the draconian west.

But with idiots like baldy with his balloons we might see the them start to crack down with mandatory searches etc.

This is priceless: you don't want little girls to take their balloons on the skytrain because it might lead to someone searching and finding your concealed weapon. A weapon that is a clear threat to the public (almost as dangerous as those balloon animals the father was brained over).

Edited by canuckamuck

BTS has a rule no balloons. This is very clear. I almost got into a similar situation when it was my sons birthday. I was in a hurry, had balloons and was stopped. I nearly went balistic. I seriously thought about taking on the BTS guard. However I kept my cool and explained that I was just passing through the station and not taking the train. This is an unfortunate event and hopefully the BTS system will relax their no balloon rule.

ballons are clearly not allowed in the MRT but i never saw such signs in the BTS

No Ballons sign in Thai BTS Skytrain.

Great slick! That's an iPad case.

maybe you also need a T-shirt to constantly reminds yourself when using the BTS

http://www.zazzle.com/no_balloon_thai_bts_skytrain_sign_tshirt-235982038878609130

http://www.zazzle.com/crazy_foreigner_farang_baa_in_thai_language_tshirt-235118922072934680

Looking at this vdo and considering that the foreigner was bleeding already before he entered the gate, it feel it is a joke to say that "a foreigner assaulted by BTS security guards" . The foreigner assaulted the BTS staff and thanks to his other farang friend who tried to calm him down nothing more serious has happened.

Edited by metisdead
No need to post in bold font, font reset to normal.

I just wonder what all the farang protectors here would say if this happened in their own country. Man tries to take something onto a mass public transport system in the capital city a few weeks after a (failed) terrorist attack. The Security try to stop him; he gets pushy (that's being polite) and tries to push through anyway;might have or might not have attacked a female guard depending upon conflicting reports, damaged a bin (showing signs of disproportionate anger?) and gets whacked by a security guard. What would the public in your home country say if it happened in New York, Paris, London... well when Brazilian Jean Charles de Menezes pushed through a turnstile in London, failed to stop when the guards shouted stop, he ended up getting shot 7 times in the head and most people I know in the UK think "well, he was a fool, and I would rather they topped him and be wrong then not top him resulting in another 100 people getting blown up. Its almost as if because we are expats, we can not possibly be terrorists so leave us alone despite that I have known many Iranians in my time and they can look very western, almost Welsh or Irish?

Although it is rare that security people here actually do do their job, maybe it should be appreciated when they do. I'd rather cop a smack to the head myself and know they were doing a good job than to have the bts go boom, or for the entire train to get done over with Sarin at some point in the future.

How about call police?

It gives a whole new meaning to going clubbing in Bangkok!

On a serious note, it does worry me on the level of gratuitous violence that I am now reading about by Thais on farangs.

Judging from Thai news (TV and print), and even the dramas on TV, Thais are a very physically violent people. Sometimes non-thais are on the receiving end.

Yea them bloody violent Thais! Did you sehe vid? See that little violent Thai trying to get the placid farang away. I should go back to my own country. No violent people there. Bloody 'ell!

I'm my post or the one I was commenting on, no mention was made of the video. It was obviously a comment made towards Thai society in general. Have another beer Chang and forget your English.

Well I mentioned the vid. You did not answer my question. And why post about Thai society in general on a thread about 1 Thai hitting 1 farang?

Start a topic on Thai society. Watch the vid and say what you see. More relevant i think.

"Forget your English"! Brilliant. You should write a book on intelligent comebacks!

It's not about Thai or Foreigner, It's about Rules is Rules.

The "rules" are that someone on the BTS ticketing platform with too many balloons is to receive a brutal strike to the head with a metal detector? One strong enough to leave him with blood pouring down his face?

Absolutely, yes. If they ignore a direct order from security staff and barge through the turnstile.

Clearly.

Then why were'nt the rules enforced at the airport incident when the hiso thai not only barged through the checkpoint but assaulted the security officer,I don't condone anything the farang did in this video(think he showed poor judgement),but i would have liked to have seen what would have happened if a high ranking thai had been carrying the balloons, the guards would've probably carried them to the train for him bowing and scraping all the way, one rule for thai another for farang, same same as always.

Balloons are not allowed on electrified rail networks as if the balloon has a line and wonders off in a gust of wind the line will conduct the electricity and most probably kill the hapless person connected to the balloon. This is a lot more relevant on rail networks with overhead lines, as has been mentioned before we don't have solid facts about what occurred before this was filmed but having worked on trains back home, balloons are definitely safety risks on electrified rail networks and I could speculate this whole issue happened because the foreigner was told he couldn't enter with balloons.

My physics teacher taught me that if you rub a baloon, you can get electric charge with will cause spark that set of combustion, which can kick off an explosion.

Dangerous stuff they are.

I don't recall passing my Physics exam though.

• Like 1

maybe you also need a T-shirt to constantly reminds yourself when using the BTS

http://www.zazzle.co...982038878609130

http://www.zazzle.co...118922072934680

In the typical manner of certain people which we can not disparage, you seemed to post it as evidence.

I simply pointed the post and the link had nothing to do with the BTS' policy.

I don't need nothing to reminds myself.

In the video above, I don't see the security guard hitting the foreignor with a baton. However, if the guard did hit him with a baton, that guard should be fired and even possibly charged with assault. There is no reason for violence over a few balloons, especially when the foreigner is with his little daughter. Geeez, what is it with some of these security guards who are on some type of power trip!

And you believe he may have hit him "because of balloons" for what reason? If you are told you cannot enter the BTS because you have balloons (which is the rules) and you refuse to obey these rules and lawful demands to not enter .. do you really believe security doesn't have the right to use force to prevent entry and defend themselves from physical aggression by someone trying to force their way onto the BTS illegally?

Nisa your post smack of arrogance and racism.The tone of your post clearly indocters that you think Thais are right - even when clealy the guard is at fault. The only ones who have the legal right to physically assault people are the police. Unless the BTS training manual has a special section on using a metal detector as a weapon???

You are gravely mistaken if you think BTS Security doesn't have the authority to enforce rules and detain people as well as defend themselves and the safety of others.

It gives a whole new meaning to going clubbing in Bangkok!

On a serious note, it does worry me on the level of gratuitous violence that I am now reading about by Thais on farangs.

Although I understand your point, however having farangs looking down on Thailand does not help the situation as well. It's quite often expression used in this forum such as "TIT" or other expressions that reflect that farangs expect Thailand to be exactly like their country. The truth is that its not and it won't be. But I guess in this case, its a mixed between language problems and the faring thinking "this is another TIT where people make up their own rule as they goes" when the security guard tried to stop him.

Farang are not the only ones that use TIT.

What happened before the camera starting recording is the issue.

The 'he got what he deserved..' lot need to wait until the CCTV footage is released.

Was he hit by the guard? What provoked that?

Then the Westerner's behaviour whilst inside the turnstiles might be better explained.. Or not..

• Like 1

The dumb arse got what he deserved. Father or not, you just don't pull off that kind of crap -- ESPECIALLY if you have a kid. Would he do that in a Western country with two big arse bouncer-type guards tellin him off? No... This arse thinks he's above the brown-skinned boys with clubs. I hope the guards don't get axed -- they were just doing their jobs. I mean, what if he had poison gas in those balloons ??? Rules are <deleted>' rules.

• Like 1

If this was the US, the guy would still be feeling the effects of the stun guns and pepper spray if not still recuperating in the in the hospital from injuries while handcuffed to a jail bed .

That doesn't excuse Thailand. It just says something terrible about the US.

I am not sure Thailand or the US has anything to be excused for when an unruly person refuses to listen to the lawful orders of those in authority and then cause those people in authority to use force in order to get compliance.

All I can see on this Video is, that the Farang assault the security Guard, hit him in the face, so his hat fell off, and when the second security guards appears, he get kicked by the other Farang.

imo, the Farang had not the correct ticket and didn't wanted to accept the punishment for that !

Why is it twisted against the Thai here ? it's clear visible, who assaulted who: Farang assaulted Thai !

this kind of news and comments sucks.

Not only that , but the guy seems to be drunk or something,you can see it just on the way he moves.

I do not see the Thai guards doing anything wrong, I can only seet the guy being aggressive towards them guards even when the other farang is trying to hold him back....

If this was the US, the guy would still be feeling the effects of the stun guns and pepper spray if not still recuperating in the in the hospital from injuries while handcuffed to a jail bed .

But if this incident did happen in the Good 'ol US of A then the guard would have been able to explain why the guy had been refused entry even though his daughter had been let through, and there may have even been a sign explaining what is prohibited on the train...

There are signs that state balloons are prohibited and there is nothing to indicate the guy couldn't understand this. In fact, the farang appears to demonstrate an attitude of superiority (not an uncommon trait going by posts here) over the Thai security and doesn't seem to be the least bit concerned with following security's orders or trying to understand what the problem. It seems this foreigner believed he was above the law or at the very least didn't have to show the respect one should to somebody in charge of security in a public transportation terminal ... especially if one is a foreigner in that country.

And just curious, are you suggesting that subway, bus or train security in the US are able to communicate in Thai?

Edited by Nisa

But if this incident did happen in the Good 'ol US of A then the guard would have been able to explain why the guy had been refused entry even though his daughter had been let through, and there may have even been a sign explaining what is prohibited on the train...

There are signs that state balloons are prohibited and there is nothing to indicate the guy couldn't understand this. In fact, the farang appears to demonstrate an attitude of superiority (not an uncommon trait going by posts here) over the Thai security and doesn't seem to be the least bit concerned with following security's orders or trying to understand what the problem. It seems this foreigner believed he was above the law or at the very least didn't have to show the respect one should to somebody in charge of security in a public transportation terminal ... especially if one is a foreigner in that country.

And just curious, are you suggesting that subway, bus or train security in the US are able to communicate in Thai?

Farng does.

Security in the US are able (through Google translate on their 4G device).

He's obviously a shelfstacker\tefler....is that his daughter in tow?......bloody disgraceful behavior for a teacher. They won't let him on the BTS with his balloons so he gets pushy instead of walking away and getting a taxi. Shame the security guard didn't hit him harder, might've knocked some sense into the burk.

• Like 1

People seem to miss the point that this video is after the initial confrontation. Everyone is flushed with adrenaline.

Many of us have only flexed our cyber muscles. But any of us who have been in such conflict can attest to an "altered" state of being.

• Like 1