Foreigner Assaulted At Bangkok BTS Station By Security Guard - Police Launch Investigation

webfact

Ah..another 'I'm more important than you' farang'. Any takers for him being a Brit?

and probabaly a drunken one at that... after all it was after the party..!

I believe his nationality has been established.

Not wonder the English keep making jokes about the Irxxx.

Edited by sparebox2

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In Thailands defense if this were his own country and balloons weren't allowed on the transit 1. He would not have tried to bring them along. 2. He would have not only took a hit on the skull but would have been arrested. What is amazing to me is that people feel like they can do whatever they want when they are in this country, like strolling in the middle of the street. They would never do that where they come from. Balloons? Either the little girl is terribly spoiled or this guy is just a idiot for not complying

If this were his own country!! Tell me milt have you ever been to the land of the Leprechauns aka Ireland. No skytrains ther m8y.

You draw the line by having a clear SET of rules at ALL BTS stations, Not allowing some little snot nosed 19 year in uniform make them up as the day goes on. Show one posted sign at any BTS location stating a child can not carry a balloon. Guess what, you can't. Why was he allowed on earlier at different location and not this one?

For some reason I have a sneaking suspicion that some security guards in this country don't put their heart and soul into their job.

I'd sure like to see what this Farang would get if he pushed a TSA guard at a US airport demanding his balloons go on board with him. He'd be tasered in the wink of an eye. Personally. I wish they would ban all baggage and backpacks from the BTS. How long till some nut-case boards with a bag full of C4?

• Like 2

After watching the video again, I have very high praise for how security responded calmly to this out of control man's aggression.

Exactly! The little Thai guard is trying to get him away from the situation. Never touched him. This idiot was even pushing about a farang trying to help.

• Like 2

I'd sure like to see what this Farang would get if he pushed a TSA guard at a US airport demanding his balloons go on board with him. He'd be tasered in the wink of an eye. Personally. I wish they would ban all baggage and backpacks from the BTS. How long till some nut-case boards with a bag full of C4?

Channel 4 was never the same after Brookside finished.

If this was the US, the guy would still be feeling the effects of the stun guns and pepper spray if not still recuperating in the in the hospital from injuries while handcuffed to a jail bed .

But if this incident did happen in the Good 'ol US of A then the guard would have been able to explain why the guy had been refused entry even though his daughter had been let through, and there may have even been a sign explaining what is prohibited on the train...

There are signs that state balloons are prohibited and there is nothing to indicate the guy couldn't understand this. In fact, the farang appears to demonstrate an attitude of superiority (not an uncommon trait going by posts here) over the Thai security and doesn't seem to be the least bit concerned with following security's orders or trying to understand what the problem. It seems this foreigner believed he was above the law or at the very least didn't have to show the respect one should to somebody in charge of security in a public transportation terminal ... especially if one is a foreigner in that country.

And just curious, are you suggesting that subway, bus or train security in the US are able to communicate in Thai?

No, I am suggesting that they should be able to communicate in English.

For those who speak a foreign language but cannot read and understand pictures?

no-signs.jpg

IMG_1542%2B-%2BVersion%2B2.jpg

I cannot remember the last time I carried a balloon or planned on carrying one but from the first time I rode the BTS, I read and understood the posted rules. You are only asking for trouble in a foreign country by not being familiar with posted rules that can be understood in any language.

PS. According to the video posted on YouTube, this guy is a teacher here.

Edited by Nisa

I know the people involved, heard about it when it happened & they have seen the CCTV footage which shows the whole episode, started by the guard hitting him with his metal detector, hence the cut eye at the start of the youtube clip.

Yes, OK, but that was not the real start of the events. There must have been some kind of communication between the two parties. And without watching that we really judge what happened.

I will say that Westerners and Thai have a hard time dealing with each other when it comes to confrontation. There's plenty misread signals and body language, fear and prejudice.

Looking at this a little closer yes the guy does appear to already have an injury on the left side of face as he was entering the gate. He may have been in an earlier confrontation with someone else and came off 2nd best, hence his demeanor. What also is interesting is the independent person actually filming him as he arrived, why was this person concentrating on the farang as he arrived at the gate? I also notice that his mate seems to indicate something to the person vide taping the incident at the end. I think there may be another story outside the train station.

P.S - Are these guys some sort of Jehovah's Witnesses missionaries? Both dressed the same with the pamphlet bags over the shoulders, maybe they knocked on the wrong door prior to catching the train hence the facial injury. Sattire my friends, just kidding.

They did look like a job lot! But one prick and that would have been the end of the balloon. Trouble was, there were two of them.

no-signs.jpg

But you know how some signs are so badly translated here that you might start to ignore the English translation.

He might have thought it meant no skinny ties.

Indeed.. And has it been confirmed that this sign is posted at the location of this incident?

Until it has I reserve the right to know nothing about what happened before the camera was turned on..

As one poster mentioned, there are no signs that say ballons are NOT allowed. ...

Apparently, it's posted somewhere: http://paulvickersde...o-balloons.html

BTW, air is cheaper than either helium or hydrogen. These balloons were on sticks, for God sakes!

It could be filled with poison gas. Same reason why airport don't allow you to bring your bottle water, even though it is harmless. Want to argue with the airport security that your water is harmless?

Bottled water being not allowed on flights is CLEARLY posted everywhere at departure at airports along with all the other goodies not allowed. There were no postings about balloons at any BTS until AFTER this event.

• Like 1

The video starts with him having already been assaulted and severely bleeding and from that point he is just trying to get through the BTS, away from the guard and onto the platform. He only pushes back when he is cornered by several guards.

The fact is, him and his large friend could've torn that short guard to pieces between them, and given that the guy had already been dealt a potentially lethal blow to the head I think the two farangs show great restraint from what the video shows. If his only crime is trying to carry some balloons onto the skytrain, given the level and range and crimes that are constantly in your face in this city, is it any surprise he thought it wouldnt be a problem?

Disrespectful farang or undermined jobsworth guard? Its just speculation at this point. Chances are we will never know the truth. If the farang comes out with his side of the story I would be more inclined to believe it though.

Anybody who lives here knowing the tolerance for very serious crimes everywhere you look and still thinks that this guy deserves a beating in front of his family for trying to carry some balloons onto the BTS seriously needs to re-check their moral compass.

Which video were you watching? The video starts with him trying to get into the BTS where the guards were. He then pushed through the guards to try to get to the platform. They guards were trying to stop him because he was disregarding the rules about taking balloons on the train.

He was just trying to obey the first rule of crime involving transport in thailand and run away, thats why he tried to barge through so he could get to the platform and disappear.555

no-signs.jpg

But you know how some signs are so badly translated here that you might start to ignore the English translation.

+2 for originality.

As for Nisa, judging by the level of your posting, I'd gladly send you ten balloons today for your graduation from Grade 1. ;)

• Like 1

no-signs.jpg

Irish, isn't he?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

After being allowed onto the BTS with the ballons for the trip there, then being told you cant take them on the return journey, I can understand his confusion and beligerence. However, that is no reason for a petty guard to bludgeon anyone. I agree I am stunned at the increase in violence towards foriegners lately in Thailand

Edited by waza

no-signs.jpg

Indeed.. And has it been confirmed that this sign is posted at the location of this incident?

Until it has I reserve the right to know nothing about what happened before the camera was turned on..

Pete.I know we haven't seen cctv yet, (hope we do). Witnesses have said he was going berserk and kicking over bins. If someone a foot taller than me and twice as wide is going mental like that on my watch and I have a club, he's gonna feel it! Guard was probably scared mate.

As one poster mentioned, there are no signs that say ballons are NOT allowed. ...

Apparently, it's posted somewhere: http://paulvickersde...o-balloons.html

BTW, air is cheaper than either helium or hydrogen. These balloons were on sticks, for God sakes!

It could be filled with poison gas. Same reason why airport don't allow you to bring your bottle water, even though it is harmless. Want to argue with the airport security that your water is harmless?

Bottled water being not allowed on flights is CLEARLY posted everywhere at departure at airports along with all the other goodies not allowed. There were no postings about balloons at any BTS until AFTER this event.

Although I have have never seen such a sign myself, the picture that I linked was posted 24 January, 2012

Has anyone one else got Nena 99 red ballons in their head now ?

Please don't! I HATE that song! sad.png

It will soon be stuck in your head for weeks.

I runs away while laughing wickedly........

BTSd giggle.gif

-mel.

Edit: Right! Get this one! I know you hate it! ----- "I believe I can fly, I believe......" like a red balloon on the BTS. jap.gif

Edited by MEL1

Where do all you farang haters find all this anti farang attitude from the video. He was hit. You would most likely pull a knife if you were hit. Too much aggression for a balloon misunderstanding.

You are of course correct. The farang was definately showing too much aggression for a balloon misunderstanding.