Google Street View Now Available In Chiang Mai

infernalman7

LOL I'm on google street view in Bangkok!! Thanks, you reminded me that a couple months ago I stopped my scooter on the side of the road to take a call when the google street car drove past.. Checking it now there I am sitting on the scooter with my Big C bags.

It is becoming more and more difficult to retain our privacy.

I am very much against this, it`s an invasion of our rights as private living individuals.

For example, what if I suddenly turned up outside any of your homes and began to take photos, then published the photos on the Internet with full address details. Would any of you consider this as acceptable? Or just watch me snapping happily away with my camera without inquiring what am I doing and for what reasons?

Now we have Google street view, Google maps, Google chat roulette maps, Google databases that track and store most of our online activities.

My question is; how does Google get away with this virtually unchallenged?

I'm pleased that Google have included Thailand in this wonderful resource. Free resource.

What do you want to happen? Anyone can drive down the streets on here, and look with their own eyes, so what's the harm?

It is becoming more and more difficult to retain our privacy.

I am very much against this, it`s an invasion of our rights as private living individuals.

For example, what if I suddenly turned up outside any of your homes and began to take photos, then published the photos on the Internet with full address details. Would any of you consider this as acceptable? Or just watch me snapping happily away with my camera without inquiring what am I doing and for what reasons?

Now we have Google street view, Google maps, Google chat roulette maps, Google databases that track and store most of our online activities.

Can someone tell me some streets that are the main party areas?

Would be interesting to see if they're on there...

That was my first thought too, but sadly the downtown area seems to have been covered early in the morning before most bars open. Basically only those Moon Muang Soi 2 bum bars I found open. ;)

* It's public space, where it's legal to take pictures. That's the law almost anywhere in the world (save North Korea), anyone can take pictures.\

* They blur faces and license plates.

And it's a great and very useful service. So awesome to get a good look of what a place looks like before travelling there. Thank you Google!

• Like 2

Saw the map car many times, the driver (just one?) also lived in my building. Random shot, but if you see what looks like a farang girl on a white Fino, can you let me know where please? lol. Im personally very happy to be forever timestamped on googlemaps! :D

its a great tool really, as well as becoming armchair spies, we can check out a new route somewhere, wiithout getting lost...

maybe the next advance with google maps would be to scan your passport and "drive" to Mae Sai and back without leaving the coffee shop?

More importantly, does anyone know how Dave2 is taking it, and if he's still alright? I'm a little concerned now that he has seen his main purpose in life so rudely yanked away from him.

Dave, if you're reading this, please let us know if you're okay. I'm available to provide a shoulder to cry on, and will buy you a beer for all the good work you did in the pre-Google era. :jap:

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Indeed... :)

Definetely a farang driving judging by the crossing the lines. hit-the-fan.gif

LOL! <bluster> <puff> <takes the bait> I'm dead center of my side of the road...

Those &lt;deleted&gt; that drive it like they stole it, weaving all over the road while they're only doing 50, are one of my pet hates...

Indeed... smile.png

Definetely a farang driving judging by the crossing the lines. hit-the-fan.gif

LOL! <bluster> <puff> <takes the bait> I'm dead center of my side of the road...

Those &lt;deleted&gt; that drive it like they stole it, weaving all over the road while they're only doing 50, are one of my pet hates...

That's one compact SUV! The aerial view looks like it was taken at the same time. Best picture I could find of myself whilst running away from the Google camera car http://g.co/maps/cntha .

winnie .

re More importantly, does anyone know how Dave2 is taking it, and if he's still alright? I'm a little concerned now that he has seen his main purpose in life so rudely yanked away from him.

im fine winnie coz i usualy give up to date information long after the google cars left

so im far from redundant and will carry on doing what i enjoy whilst google street view can only enhance / supliment my posts : )

dave2

whitney houston and bun fans enjoy ! ... coz google missed them : )

post-42592-0-73346800-1332487063_thumb.j

post-42592-0-36787300-1332487309_thumb.j

The aerial view looks like it was taken at the same time.

I'm still wondering about that. The technology and resources that must be behind street view is impressive enough. If they've linked it to updating the satellite view with new pics synchronised with the google cars' whereabouts I'm beyond impressed...

The aerial view looks like it was taken at the same time.

I'm still wondering about that. The technology and resources that must be behind street view is impressive enough. If they've linked it to updating the satellite view with new pics synchronised with the google cars' whereabouts I'm beyond impressed...

Doesn't seem worth it. First of all, there's not real benefit of synchronizing it. Secondly, for the satellite image you need an exceptionally clear day, and you want to take the image around noon when the sun is highest to minimize shadows. And a single image captures a huge area. For the ground view you don't need it to be cloud-less so you can just go about your business driving around, you'd just want to work around rush hour a bit.

BTW I looked at Bangkok. Soi Nana isn't covered; &lt;deleted&gt; Google.