Pollution Exceeds Safety Limits In Three Thai Provinces

webfact

Pollution exceeds safety limits in three provinces

The Nation

30178553-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Excessive exhaust fumes have blanketed three major provinces in carcinogenic petrolbased toxic particles exceeding safety limits, the Pollution Control Department said yesterday.

However, the level of benzinebased volatile organic compounds (VOC) in the air could drop once the new VOC standard limiting benzine in petrol to 1 per cent from the current 3 per cent is implemented, directorgeneral Wijarn Simachaya said.

The new standard was put in effect from January 1 but had to be postponed to July because Thailand's oil refineries are still incapable of complying with the Energy Ministry's new standards, he added.

A recent PCD study found that VOC levels have been beyond safety limits in Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen and Songkhla - close to the levels detected in Bangkok - since these provinces are getting bigger, resulting in traffic congestion.

The PCD and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration are now running a fouryear campaign to control noise and air pollution in Bangkok. The measures have been approved by the PCD board of directors and will soon be submitted to the Office of National Environment Board for approval, he said.

Meanwhile, smog and haze from forest fires and airborne dust particles above safety level are still covering the city of Chiang Mai, affecting air traffic in this northern province.

Chiang Mai Airport is using runway lights during daylight hours due to low visibility, while visibility is less than 500 metres at road level. Local residents are being forced to wear sunglasses and masks for protection.

According to the provincial disease control office, more than 240,000 people have sought treatment for hazerelated illnesses at 87 hospitals in eight northern provinces over the past five weeks.

The official tally recorded over 100,000 patients with coronary heart disease, another 100,000 patients with respiratory diseases and about 20,000 persons suffering from eye inflammation and dermatitis.

Meanwhile, the Meteorological Department predicts summer thunderstorms in the next five days nationwide. The first regions to be hit would be the Northeast and East as a moderate highpressure system is moving in tonight with northeasterly winds. Thunderstorms, thundershowers, gusty winds and hail are expected from today through Tuesday.

Easterly winds over the South are likely to cause isolated heavy rain with gusty winds. Scattered thundershowers are expected in 40 to 60 per cent of Bangkok and the metropolitan region.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-23

"sunglasses" what do they do to help? Ah, I get it, you cannot see the smog so easily, placebo effect.

makes as much sense as trying to reduce the haze, using fire hoses.....bit like trying to stop a forrest fire with a glass of water...stupid authorities..but I guess we expect no better....I do feel sorry for the people of thailand...their officials are so dumb....at all levels.

"sunglasses" what do they do to help? Ah, I get it, you cannot see the smog so easily, placebo effect.

makes as much sense as trying to reduce the haze, using fire hoses.....bit like trying to stop a forrest fire with a glass of water...stupid authorities..but I guess we expect no better....I do feel sorry for the people of thailand...their officials are so dumb....at all levels.

Unfortunately this is endemic to Thailand and their culture. "We use a rock to drive in nails and it works" "Westerners developed a thing called a hammer, its faster, and more accurate." "<deleted> those dam_n foreigners don't know anything, TiT and we have been using rocks to drive in nails ever since the nail was invented." "Using a hammer is dumb."

Thais will never change because they think they know everything and that they cannot learn ANYTHING from foreigners. Just did some work on the plumbing in my new house, I have never seen such shit in my life. But Thais keep using the same crap plumbing supplies because, one they never complain about anything being bad and just accept it, and two they can't imagine there might be better ways of doing anything.

Edited by vijer
  • Like 1

The previous posts don't get it, I thought it was about Benzine % .

Ahh now I have it, the forest fires and all the burning will fix the pollution with help from the oil refineries.

Thank my Bhudda for guiding me in my enlightenment.