Rose Bowl Anyone? Where To Watch?

on-on

Yeah, yeah I know. American football isn't the preferred world sport. However, getting past the obligatory jokes about fat men in armor taking breaks every ten seconds, my Texas Longhorns are playing against the USC Trojans in the Rose Bowl on Jan 4th at 8pm, which is Jan 5th at 8am here obviously. I've heard that Bourbon St might be showing the game, but email inquiries through their site were unsuccessful. I wasn't able to find anything on the Rose Bowl searching this site, so has anyone any idea of a place that might be showing it? Or maybe a place that normally shows major American sporting events?

I'd be truly appreciative of any help :o

Edited by on-on

Your longhorn will be shorten on the Rose bowl day! ...... Be prepare!

GO......USCCCCCC......hmm...I can smell the rose already....ha ha

I wish it would be the Huskie though, but darn!... as an alumni I hate to see them anchoring the pack-10 this year. I hope it will be as good as the MIAMI vs Ohio awhile back.

Oh well........ USCCCC..... all the way then!

Yea, we also will be in Thailand at the same time. Does anyone know where can we watch USC win...in Pattaya or Jomtien area?

Edited by BKK90210

Yeah this could turn into a giant thread where I point out that Texas has a better defense than USC (and better than USC has seen) and that Texas has the highest scoring offense in the country and that it may be hard for Matt Leinart to get up for the game if he stays out late nights groping teens across Southern California like usual; HOWEVER I really just want to watch the game, heh, so if anyone knows anything about a locale that'd be great. Like I said, the only local tip I've gotten here in Bangers so far is Bourbon Street.

When we crush the USC Rubbers I will be thrilled to come back and gloat accordingly at the failure of feng shui-inspired stadium design on the West Coast to influence the outcome, but for now I'm willing to wait for the no-doubt exciting game.

:o

Yeah this could turn into a giant thread where I point out that Texas has a better defense than USC (and better than USC has seen) and that Texas has the highest scoring offense in the country and that it may be hard for Matt Leinart to get up for the game if he stays out late nights groping teens across Southern California like usual; HOWEVER I really just want to watch the game, heh, so if anyone knows anything about a locale that'd be great.  Like I said, the only local tip I've gotten here in Bangers so far is Bourbon Street. 

When we crush the USC Rubbers I will be thrilled to come back and gloat accordingly at the failure of feng shui-inspired stadium design on the West Coast to influence the outcome, but for now I'm willing to wait for the no-doubt exciting game.

:o

:D:D:D

post-24815-1134860470_thumb.jpg

To get back to the original question, I checked a week or so ago and at that time there were no bowl games at all listed in UBC's advance schedules. On another board I read a similar inquiry, and a gentleman there insisted that the Rose Bowl and several other bowls were indeed in Star's online schedules covering their ESPN feed. This, however, is Thailand, and UBC frequently does very strange things.

If we get the Rose Bowl live, it will be on at 0800 on 5 January, BUT there's simply no indication that will happen. Still, sometimes UBC carries programs that aren't scheduled; sometimes they schedule programs that aren't carried; and sometimes programming turns up hours (or days) after it is scheduled (or not scheduled). You just never know. Welcome to the Third World.

By the way........Hook 'em Horns.

I checked the currently published schedules for UBC Superport, StarSports and ESPN and none of them list the game.

On Saturdays the Bangkok Post sports section lists all the televised sports events for the upcoming week so you could check the 31 Dec 2005 edition? Or maybe drop an email to the sports editor there to ask about the game being viewable here? (The email address is listed in each days sports section.)

My guess is that it would have to be a satellite feed, and I am unsure about how to check schedules for satellite channels that might be available here?

(I'll be back in the U.S., returning to Bangkok on 5/6 Jan, I'd offer to videotape the game but am not sure if a VHS tape would play here, NTSC/PAL issues.)

A lot of hotels, bars, and restaurants here say they have 'satellite television,' but all that generally means is that they get UBC off the satellite rather than by land-based cable. I've never seen a genuine satellite installation here where the local operator is by-passed entirely and the programming taken directly off each individual feed and then descrambled (although I'm sure they must exist, huh?). I know that Armed Forces Television will carry the Rose Bowl and the other major bowl games, but to access them you have to have a friend in the US Embassy or with one of the US military missions here (the feed is not commercially available anywhere). As a practical matter, if the game's not carried by UBC, you chances of seeing it in Thailand are effectively nil.

Edited by OldAsiaHand

Or maybe drop an email to the sports editor there to ask about the game being viewable here? (The email address is listed in each days sports section.)
Capital idea. I have done just that and will list any answer I receive here.

Thanks to all the other helpful replies in this thread - I'm sure even the dirty Californians are grateful (in spite of themselves ;P ).

I've never seen a genuine satellite installation here where the local operator is by-passed entirely and the programming taken directly off each individual feed and then descrambled (although I'm sure they must exist, huh?).

Based on posts I've read here by jsat and ku band (maybe one of them will see this thread, or the OP could PM them?) I've seen references to 30+ satellites and 1,000+ channels (a total of 2,600 channels being available) as being a standard package. It looks like ABC (of some sort?) is available on Panamsat 2 and Panamsat 8? AFN is also available but looks like it requires additional cypto?

Whether ABC is available via satellite on 5 Jan 2006 at 08:00 here in Thailand is a good question. Then, if it is, finding a pub/bar that has access to the required satellite is the next challenge. I expect the actual kick-off will be closer to 8:30 AM local time?

At this webite, (I have no affiliation), there is mention that there are 800 satellite TV companies operating in Thailand.

.....there are 800 satellite TV companies operating in Thailand.

No, I don't think so.

Anyone can, of course, if they have the technical expertise, install a dish almost anywhere on earth and receive signals from many satellites......if you know the frequencies, the locations of the satellites, and -- most important -- subscribe to each content provider or otherwise have the capacity to descramble their signals. But 800 companies operating in Thailand who can provide such an installation? Not a chance.

Nothing sure here, but a call to Jusmag (very near corner South Sathorn and Rama IV) might help. I've watched American sports there on some kind of special feed. Bars like Lewinsky's in Pattaya get a lot of sports. Would American embassy know anything? How about a 5-star hotel? BTW, if the Rose Bowl game starts at 8 pm. in California, that would make it 11 pm. New York time, which should translate to 11 am. the next morning, Thailand time, right?

Nothing sure here,

BTW, if the Rose Bowl game starts at 8 pm. in California, that would make it 11 pm. New York time, which should translate to 11 am. the next morning, Thailand time, right?

It'll be air on ABC at 8.00 pm eastern time, so it'll be at 5.00 pm in California. With the winter daylight saving of 1 hr fall back...it would have to be aired around 8.00 am thailand time - if not delayed broadcast.

Hmm...I wonder if it's not too early for a "Som Tom party" :o

Nothing sure here, but a call to Jusmag (very near corner South Sathorn and Rama IV) might help.  I've watched American sports there on some kind of special feed.

That would be Armed Forces Television, but receiving it is restricted to US military and diplomatic personnel. If you have a pal at the American embassy, go to his house and he'll have all the bowl games. If you have a pal at the American embassy who owns a bar, however, be sure to tell us all.

Nothing sure here, but a call to Jusmag (very near corner South Sathorn and Rama IV) might help.  I've watched American sports there on some kind of special feed.  Bars like Lewinsky's in Pattaya get a lot of sports.  Would American embassy know anything?  How about a 5-star hotel?  BTW, if the Rose Bowl game starts at 8 pm. in California, that would make it 11 pm. New York time, which should translate to 11 am. the next morning, Thailand time, right?

What is "Jusmag"?

I was going to suggest contacting the embassy, especially if you could find an USC or UT alum on staff, but they probably get overrun with these types of requests?

The television coverage starts, on ABC, at 8 PM eastern time, so 5 PM local or pacific time, and yes, 8 AM here in Thailand. I think the actual kick-off will be closer to 8:30, as to allow people on the west coast to get home rfom work in time to see the entire game.

I'd also suggest a PM to the TV members ku band and jsat as they might know if the game is available on satellite.

Note in an earlier post I mentioned that ABC was available on some satellites. Well, that is ABC as in the Australian Broadcasting Company!

I'll be watching the game in the U.S..

Jusmag is, I think, Joint U.S. Military Advisory Group, and you probably need a connection to get in, but a phone call couldn't hurt. The manager of The Office bar on Sukh. soi 33 said he would try with his satellite, and suggested that Silver Dollar in Washington Square might show it.

Agreed. Hook 'em Horns.

Now if we could only get some Austin Tex-Mex out here through ESPN.....

Let me know if you hear of a venue in BKK that will have the ESPN Rose Bowl broadcast on. I guess it's kind of early though for most bars/pubs, but who knows?

Hook 'em!

It will no doubt be on at Bourbon Street. They serve a pretty good breakfast, too.

Man, that was a great game. Obligatory gloat to all the USC fans who popped in to talk about how sorry they were that Texas was simply overmatched.

Bourbon St was very good for the game - considering an 8am start I'm surprised there were as many people as there were. Kudos to the USC fans who were mostly all quite reserved and non-gloating during the game. And boo to the 3-4 Texas fans who left early when they thought Texas was finished and USC had the go ahead touchdown. I told you guys to stay! I and one other guy were the only ones left to yell and hoot and be generally embarrassing when the appropriate time came. Though as the only person noticably drinking, I think I might have had the edge.

Thanks to everyone who helped figure out when this was on and where to watch it. My first Texas National Championship and my first Texas Bowl Game abroad all in one. Quite a bit of fun, really.

Edited by on-on