Refused Schengen To France

A Thai friend of mine applied for a Schengen visa to France recently, they turned her down but also stamped "Refused" in her passport. It seems a bit harsh to stamp her passport too.

She applied for a 3 month visit, has plenty of money in the bank (just sold a house). She has also had a shorter Schengen visa to Germany before and went on that trip without incident.

As far as I know there was nothing bogus about her application. I guess she was rejected because she wanted such a long visa; they probably thought she would get married or look for a job when she was in France.

This is for information only; I don't think she is going to apply again soon (the relationship is probably over).

They may be viewing the sale of the house as weakening the reasons to return. I would expect some explanation for the rejection! My wife was trying to get a visa for France from within the UK but was told at an early stage she would not be approved because she had less than three months left on her visa. She was not charged for this advice!

@tw25rw I don't know, I assume that she had a healthy bank balance though.

@bobrussell My thoughts exactly; also most people cannot return to their old job after a 3 month break.

It seemed a bit harsh that they stamped her passport "refused" without a reason and they don't seem to consider her application bogus.

they view her status (age), financial, history, education, family ties etc. as bob and tw mentioned the selling of house may carry

weight on the assessment. furthermore, Schengen, US and probably most western countries are scrutinizing all visa applicants

due to the financial crisis.

I am THAI. I have travel around the world. I think Schengen VISA not fair for Asian. I love to travel in Asian better EU. People in Asian nice and friendly than too. That why many EU people come to buy condo in Thailand but some of them still look Asian down.

It seems French visa councellor has no brain. He seems to be racist, he should be thrown out immediately as he is spoiling relations of French with all. My friend applied visa last year . He is a billionaire and was rejected without any good reason. He had business class tickets with bookings at the best hotels in France. People with no money from France can enter Thailand without visa and they create problems. We Asians with so much spending power are refused. We should together boycott French embassy for schengen visa.

Do you know the criteria? Billionaires can be rejected. Some Russian billionaires are rejected. Why a Thai billionaire should not be?

The European values are different! Not only money rule the civilization there. I agree, this is different in Thailand.

(About racism, there is a law in France that can send someone to jail for being racist. In Thailand, what about hotels bared for black people ?!§)

• Like 2

It seems French visa councellor has no brain. He seems to be racist, he should be thrown out immediately as he is spoiling relations of French with all. My friend applied visa last year . He is a billionaire and was rejected without any good reason. He had business class tickets with bookings at the best hotels in France. People with no money from France can enter Thailand without visa and they create problems. We Asians with so much spending power are refused. We should together boycott French embassy for schengen visa.

The VIce Council does not accept or reject Visa Applications, that is not their job, they have staff to do that. How do you know that your friend had the correct documentation to go, or maybe is on a blacklist. I got my Mother in Law a Schengen Visa for Switzerland using the correct documentation, she is not a millionaire or billionaire, and Switzerland is known to be one of the most difficult countries to get a Schengen Visa for.

Maybe your friend thought money can buy anything, but it can't buy a visa.

Edited by beano2274

Also people from France do need a visa to come to Thailand or have to have a return ticket showing they will leave, they can also be asked to show 20,000baht as an individual by the Thai Immigration officer.

Please provide links to news stories where French people have caused problems, by the way am not French.

It is not about money, you guys have no idea so you can talk all this. Yes money can't buy everything, but that councellor is crazy. He has no manners to talk to anyone one. And yes he is the one who rejected. I have friends in France who also filed complaints against him. As he has done this with many people now. So you please comment only after you know. He is racist. And if he can be punished according to law he should be punished. To refer money in my previous mail was to make you guys understand that good business man with intention of holiday holding uk, us, Australia, Japan, valid visas. Also traveling uk at the same time got uk visa 2 days before applying eu visa can be rejected. And next day gets visa from Swiss embassy. What does this mean my friend?????????????? Have complete knowledge before you comment.

Without understanding the particular reason for the visa denial, how can you assume that someone is racist?

@tw25rw I don't know, I assume that she had a healthy bank balance though.

It seemed a bit harsh that they stamped her passport "refused" without a reason and they don't seem to consider her application bogus.

And strong evidence of preparing for life elsewhere.It may not be true, but it looks like severing of ties to Thailand.

Marking it in her passport is unfair.

I am THAI. I have travel around the world. I think Schengen VISA not fair for Asian. I love to travel in Asian better EU. People in Asian nice and friendly than too. That why many EU people come to buy condo in Thailand but some of them still look Asian down.

Some are so bad that they look down on Asian because of their English skills :-)

It is not about money, you guys have no idea so you can talk all this. Yes money can't buy everything, but that councellor is crazy. He has no manners to talk to anyone one. And yes he is the one who rejected. I have friends in France who also filed complaints against him. As he has done this with many people now. So you please comment only after you know. He is racist. And if he can be punished according to law he should be punished. To refer money in my previous mail was to make you guys understand that good business man with intention of holiday holding uk, us, Australia, Japan, valid visas. Also traveling uk at the same time got uk visa 2 days before applying eu visa can be rejected. And next day gets visa from Swiss embassy. What does this mean my friend?????????????? Have complete knowledge before you comment.

A council does not make the recommendation to accept or reject a visa, I think you should understand that at first, and he does not need to speak to anyone. Secondly as your last comment says "Have complete knowledge before you comment" I suggest you find out the reasons that your friend was rejected before commenting any further.

Everyone knows that the French Visa is harder to get, maybe your friend got rejected as he was spending more time in another country than in France, this is a reasonable reason to reject. As you stated he got one from the Swiss embassy so he must have been staying there longer as they are very strict. Also he did not get the Visa the next day from the Swiss embassy, the process takes longer than that!!!!!!

A council does not make the recommendation to accept or reject a visa, I think you should understand that at first, and he does not need to speak to anyone.

I think 'SaiKishoreBansal' is referring to an earlier post which mentions a "French visa councellor" what you and I would call an ECO, and not to a member of a Council.

I think Schengen VISA not fair for Asian. I love to travel in Asian better EU. People in Asian nice and friendly than too.

That's just fine, please travel wherever you feel comfortable.

Racism is everywhere, but in Europe there are strict Laws against it, which is not the case in Thailand where categorizing people by race (like "farang") is common.

Getting a visa to Europe is not only about money or spending power but about being a genuine visitor. Thailand being the worldwide hub of prostitution deserves a little bit more atention as many Thai people abroad cause problems. Look at New Zealand where previously Thais could go without a visa. Would you say New Zealand is a racist country because of this ? Perhaps Thailand could sort out its tradition of selling its youth......

I have no problems with Thailand becoming strict regarding visa for foreigners, but probably it would be against the national and financial interest.....

as eagleflyinghigh as indicated there is an amount of Racims in both Thailand and Europe, but think of dual pricing for foreigners, I have never seen it in Europe, but see it everyday here in Thailand.

By the way, I love being here in Thailand, love the people and love the way of life.

Edited by beano2274

I got my Mother in Law a Schengen Visa for Switzerland using the correct documentation, she is not a millionaire or billionaire, and Switzerland is known to be one of the most difficult countries to get a Schengen Visa for.

Switzerland is with 93 % visa approvals part of the average of all Schengen countries. All staff at the Swiss Embassy are consistently polite and the visa section is lead by a very experienced gentlemen married to a charming Thai lady.

I got my Mother in Law a Schengen Visa for Switzerland using the correct documentation, she is not a millionaire or billionaire, and Switzerland is known to be one of the most difficult countries to get a Schengen Visa for.

Switzerland is with 93 % visa approvals part of the average of all Schengen countries. All staff at the Swiss Embassy are consistently polite and the visa section is lead by a very experienced gentlemen married to a charming Thai lady.

yes but they seem to put the specific dates of travel on the visas. But am happy that we got them.

A council does not make the recommendation to accept or reject a visa, I think you should understand that at first, and he does not need to speak to anyone. Secondly as your last comment says "Have complete knowledge before you comment" I suggest you find out the reasons that your friend was rejected before commenting any further.

Everyone knows that the French Visa is harder to get, maybe your friend got rejected as he was spending more time in another country than in France, this is a reasonable reason to reject. As you stated he got one from the Swiss embassy so he must have been staying there longer as they are very strict. Also he did not get the Visa the next day from the Swiss embassy, the process takes longer than that!!!!!!

Well , I have no arguments for your conments. But a visa councellor has full authority to reject the visa without giving any reason. We also approached many high officials in the embassy and several complaints were made. It was not right to do such a thing. He did speak with us and the way he spoke it show what kind of person he is,he was rude, and was shouting in the phone as he own France , French people are generally polite and soft spoken. My reference is not to a community or a country. It is particularly about this particular councellor. You only can realise when you experience something like this. And yes he was given visa by Swiss embassy right away as there was very less time left to travel and we especially made an urgent appointment and told them the entire story . Reapeating again my point to tell u that "he is rich, was travelling business class , booked best hotels in France" was to bring to your kind attention that he is a reputed business man in Thailand . All the necessary documents were provided to the embassy. We still have copy of all . And one More thing he was going to stay in France for 10 day and in Swiss for four days, therefore decided to get from French embassy. I was a very bad experience. I would never recommend anyone to go for EU visa through French embassy. Nevertheless there are good and bad people in this world. And he is bad for sure otherwise we would not have been discussing this here. Doing bad to so many people.

This sounds like a terrible experience. It's personally insulting when a visa is refused. I've never experienced this, but I would feel terrible if my wife were to be refused a visa to any of the countries we have visited.

I suspect that either this official has either made a mistake he is unwilling to rectify, or, there was a fundamental piece of the application documentation missing. I always believed that a rejection would come with a reason though.

I know friends at other Embassy's, to ensure impartiality they have to base their decisions on a strict set of guidelines, the decisions must hold up to scrutiny. Of course appeals can be made and decisions over turned.

^^^^^

On the other hand, my partner, a single village girl from deepest Issan got a Schengen Visa from the French Embassy without a problem.

We plan to go again next year, I hope that my comment doesn't come back to bite me.

My girlfriend, same. No Money. She appled for a tourist Visa and told them; employment: None, she was looking after my Thai born son (not hers). I showed them my Australian passport as well with all my Thai "O' Visas, my bank accounts, wrote a letter of guarantee... and we got a 1 Year Visa Mulltiple entry with maximum 3 month stay that could have been extended if we needed to stay longer at any immigration point in the EU.

So I don't think money is an issue for any of the EU embassies, they must weigh the "risk factor" of approving visas to people that pose a risk to their large "illegal immigrant problem" as all other embassies must as well.

Let the embassies do their jobs, they have alot of criteria checks bofre any ones Visa ends up in the "YES" box.

About putting a "REFUSED" stamp in there, it's no big deal. When we wanted to vist Australia they refused my girlfirend.

Australia also stamps "REFUSED" in passports.

We applied a year later and she got a 1 Year/3Month Multiple entry Visa. They obviosuly saw that it was not a "new" relationship and the "flight risk" was not there. We asked them about the REFUSED stamp when we applied the second time and if this would impact on the decision; they said that every application is looked at and scrutinised given the "current" cisrumstances of the application. If they think the applicant is a "genuine" tourist no problem.

We were surpised that first time we were given a 3 page letter explaining the grounds of the desicion to refuse that she may not leave Australia and subsequently, a year later, a Visa and a nice booklet with places to see in Australia. It was also without the dreaded 8503 condition, which meant that if we decided to saty in Australia or marry in Australia she could change her Visa to a Partner Visa.

• Like 1

If people really feel aggrieved by the decision of a Schengen member take the issue to SOLVIT.

I understand that SOLVIT can only be approached if a EU member state does not honour another EU citizens right in that state. This would be the case for Romania having asked further documents and charged a fee for issuing a visa to my registered partner or the UK asking questions regarding finances and work to spouses of EU citizens applying for a visa which is against EU Law too.

One last question , as stated by one of you here that a person should be genuine tourist. And how do you figure that. " as per my knowledge you look at the booking made by you and history of you previous visits to different countries" a person who holds a passport with which he has been travelling every year twice and have been to almost all the places in the world , is genuine tourist or not. And with money sooooooo much is goes undoubtedly that he will return to his country, nor he is criminal, nor a politician. Than what else was required. It was genuinely not right to insult anyone just to prove that you are powerful and superior( and that is racism). He deserves punishment so he does not continue doing this. People like him are curse to humanity.

If people really feel aggrieved by the decision of a Schengen member take the issue to SOLVIT.

I understand that SOLVIT can only be approached if a EU member state does not honour another EU citizens right in that state.

SOLVIT can be used by non-EU citizens if it is EU law that affects them. Not sure if that is the case here or not though.

One last question , as stated by one of you here that a person should be genuine tourist. And how do you figure that. " as per my knowledge you look at the booking made by you and history of you previous visits to different countries" a person who holds a passport with which he has been travelling every year twice and have been to almost all the places in the world , is genuine tourist or not. And with money sooooooo much is goes undoubtedly that he will return to his country, nor he is criminal, nor a politician. Than what else was required. It was genuinely not right to insult anyone just to prove that you are powerful and superior( and that is racism). He deserves punishment so he does not continue doing this. People like him are curse to humanity.

Hey,

the least I can say is that you seem quite angry

Three questions/remarks:

a) How come you have heard this person shouting over the phone???

I thought that there were windows between the the applicant and the officer (soundproof....no?).....You must have been quite close to the desk of the person you are holding responsible

Only the applicant is allowed to enter the premises (only in rare cases it is possible) and...you were accompanying the applicant then?

c) Would you please be more specific about the Embassy's pesonnel that you have contacted (I am not asking names nor ranks but do you know how hierarchy works in that case)?

Edited by alyx