Thailand Version Of Google Street View Launched

webfact

Gotta love Google Street View!

This can be such a great tool for research in travelling about, checking out hotels, apartments and the surrounding streets. 'Oh look! There is popular late night disco next door to the apartment window!' thumbsup.gif

maybe they will add a view of Nana Plaza and soi cowboy

Soi Cowboy is already there, maybe Soi Nana was censored, to many hookers even in the early morning.

Patpong is there, Cowboy is there, and Bangla is there. But most of the sois off lower Sukhumvit are not, despite masses of obscure sois out in the suburbs being included. Maybe they will appear later.

Pattaya is still available through Mapjack, though the images are a little old.

Apart from the official google panoramic views there are quite a few uploaded by private individuals all over Thailand, just click on the camera symbols on large scale views.

A pretty limited number of pictures/locations on a Thailand-wide basis. Of course, I wouldn't expect the Google Street View Picture Taking Vehicle would dare go into most Thai villages/neighborhoods....the vehicle would never be heard of again...would end-up as black market spare parts.

One-day people will catch on that these companies are tagging them, the discrete behind the scenes Big Brother of the 21st century and there are those raking in billions of dollars out of our personal information, because people business is big business.

Sooner or later companies such as Google, facebook, Linkein, firefox and others will amalgamate creating the largest people information database in world history, most of our lifestyles and activities will be logged, tagged and viewed.

The Governments of the world must be in they’re glory, all this data either taken or given freely without fuss or the need to ask for it.

This is not paranoia or a conspiracy theory, but is fact and I really do not understand how anyone can believe this is a good thing?

post-110219-0-44829300-1332613401_thumb.

Edited by Beetlejuice

One-day people will catch on that these companies are tagging them, the discrete behind the scenes Big Brother of the 21st century and there are those raking in billions of dollars out of our personal information, because people business is big business.

Sooner or later companies such as Google, facebook, Linkein, firefox and others will amalgamate creating the largest people information database in world history, most of our lifestyles and activities will be logged, tagged and viewed.

The Governments of the world must be in they’re glory, all this data either taken or given freely without fuss or the need to ask for it.

This is not paranoia or a conspiracy theory, but is fact and I really do not understand how anyone can believe this is a good thing?

Is ThaiVisa “a good thing” for that reason ?

They didn't censor Nana. If you look around, you can see they didn't go down many of the side sois in that area. They didn't even do some big sois like 11 and 19 yet. They went down Soi Cowboy though which surprised me as its so tiny.

I always wonder why some people think their daily lives are so interesting that anyone, yet alone governments, would want to take so much interest in them. There are over 60 million people in the UK so as even a government, with all its resources, could only sort through all this information for a fraction of a percent of us, I would have to be doing something very much out of the ordinary for them to bother with me and then I would proberbly deserve to be checked out. I think all this info would be used for more general observations and trend monitoring. As for advertising I would prefer it to be targeted, if I can not stop it - a car advert would be better than a Pampers advert to me.

Back to Google earth - one bad side effect in the UK is that it has been used to case farms and the like before thieves go in and get what they want. That sort of misuse of information is far more worrying. If a farm is targeted why can't the police see who has looked at it on google and go and interview them - proberbly because someone thinks it against their human rights (don't get me started on that or I will never get back on topic).

25% more tourists sounds a bit optimistic if it is based on Pompeii - I doubt Italy had 25% more tourists because of streetview!

"We expect it should help boost tourism by even more than the 25 per cent it achieved in Italy's Pompeii. The TAT earlier targeted attracting around 19.5 million people to visit Thailand this year. With Google Street View we hope it should be higher than that, but we have not yet finalised the numbers," Thapanee said.

You can not compare european cities with Thai cities.

long overdue, but now its here... Wow !

coverage in Chiangmai is excellent & extends far and wide over many Amphur.

well done Google.

Checked my house (San Sai) and it isn't finished being built yet, but we have been living in it for 5 years. A little outdated I think.

Edited by chooka

well done Google.

Checked my house (San Sai) and it isn't finished being built yet, but we have been living in it for 5 years. A little outdated I think.

well ours (hang dong) had alterations done back end of last year, and they are on the images. Also new additions to our village built within the last 12 months are also present.

well done Google.

well ours (hang dong) had alterations done back end of last year, and they are on the images. Also new additions to our village built within the last 12 months are also present.

I guess it will take time for them to get around and take the pics. I really can't see what benifit this whole thing has to anyone, how on earth would this attract tourists when you can see more of Thailand on You Tube and the like. A waste of money by Thailand I think.

Great I found my condo in Sukhumvit , and I could almost spot myself on the balcony...... coffee1.gif

Congratulations. Your 15 minutes of fame. Were you 'au natural' or wearing the waspy and black stockings?

BTW How do you almost spot something or anybody? Either you do or you don't.

• 7 months later...