Driver's License In Thailand

girlx

i come from NY where they have a subway and even though i did have a driver's license about 8 years ago i have not had one since. i am considering buying my friend's used car here, and am wondering how hard it would be for me to get an international driver's license at the least, or even a Thai license... any info helpful...

i come from NY where they have a subway and even though i did have a driver's license about 8 years ago i have not had one since. i am considering buying my friend's used car here, and am wondering how hard it would be for me to get an international driver's license at the least, or even a Thai license... any info helpful...

girlx, Without a current U.S or International license you will have to take the test,and from what i've been told , the test is pretty easy.

You will need................

Passport with non-imm visa.

Confirmation of address letter from Immigration or your embassy.

Medical Certificate.

2 1inch x 1inch photos.

The written test is in english , but you will have to take along to the Dept. of Transport office someone that can read and write thai to fill in the application forms for you.

Good Luck.

Just to comment on the Intern. Licence of IDP (Intern. Driving Permit)

This can only be issued by the authority that issued your local licence.

So if you have had a NYC-licence (still valid?) New York is the place.

Legally, one can drive in Thailand on an IDP as long as you are a visitor, for max. 90 days after arrival.

Once you live here, it can be exchanged to a Thai licence after a simplified eye- and color test.

If you don't have the IDP, it's the way Cobber described.

And, once you have a Thai-licence, you can ask the Thai authorities to isse an IDP, which is not valid in Thailand but most other countries (together with the Thai one)

You should pick up a copy of the rules of the roads (English version) from the same place you would take the test and go over them especially for the differences here vs your country.

Some may suggest that you pay 1000.00 Baht and get it the "easy" way but the tests are quite easy as long as you brush up on the above information.