Mutual Fund Investors

I have browsed this section of TV on occasion and noticed several astute investors here. Your opinions and suggestions would be most welcome.

Like most people I want maximum returns on my investments, ideally with minimal risks, but I tend to take a few risks.

At the start of 2005 I had the bulk or about 60 % of my total portfolio in global markets mutual funds. From this portion of my portfolio I've had a wonderful of nearly 50% ROI . I also started 2005 with Mid cap funds making up about 20% of my Portfolio wth a decent ROI of about 16%. The remainder of my portfolio was made up of Large cap, Technology, and Medical related Funds, the perfomance of this group was shall i just say less than desireable.

I am moving the non perfoming section of my portfolio into natural resources related fund(s) ie oil and metals. And evaluating what to do with the mid caps. Do I let it ride or move it?

What is your opinion of the outlook for global markets, mid caps and natural resources for 2006? What other areas do you see the best growth potential for next year?

Thanks

I sounds like you are doing quite well and I should be asking you. :D

I bought U.S. Global Investors Global Res (PSPFX) a few months ago. Time will tell how that works out. :o

I have browsed this section of TV on occasion and noticed several astute investors here. Your opinions and suggestions would be most welcome.

Like most people I want maximum returns on my investments, ideally with minimal risks, but I tend to take a few risks.

At the start of 2005 I had the bulk or about 60 % of my total portfolio in global  markets mutual funds.  From this portion of my portfolio  I've had a wonderful  of nearly  50% ROI . I also started  2005 with Mid cap funds making up about  20% of my Portfolio wth a decent ROI of about 16%. The remainder of my portfolio was made up of Large cap, Technology, and Medical related Funds, the perfomance of this group was shall i just say less than desireable.

I am  moving the non perfoming section of my portfolio into natural resources related fund(s) ie oil and metals. And evaluating what to do with the mid caps. Do I let it ride or move it?

What is your opinion of the outlook for global markets, mid caps and natural resources for 2006? What other areas do you see the best growth potential for next year?

Thanks

Hello Gary A

I've had PSPFX on my watchlist for several months and it has great potential as a Oil/Energy fund (about 78% of the funds holdings are in energy with another 10% or so in related resources) and it looks promising, of course world oil supply/demand will affect value considerably.

I am bullish on oil and other natural resources by the way.

Natural resources growth rates are almost reminiscent of tech growth during the 90s.

This does give me some pause, but I am still bullish.

Cmguy you already hold a well diversified portfolio but adding some commodities and metals seems prudent. Whether one wants to wait for a dip depends a bit on whether one is a "trader" or more of a long term investor.

Personally I utilize PCRIX (institututional fund - but many brokers have access for much less than the official 5M $ minimum) a commodities futures fund, together with VGPMX (Vanguard metal/mining fund). Both have comparable low expense ratios.

Mid cap or not? Well, I think mid caps have an advantage in the current enviroment; big enuff to get a share of the international market, but small enuff to be quicker/more flexible when market conditions change.

Cheers!

My ISA, (UK investment fund with favorable tax conditions) for this year is in Germany which I think will start to recover economically from the current low base. Last year I went for Japan which turned out to be a good call. Commodities could be a good call too, if there is still value available. Though I think Oil is more likely to stabalise or fall a little bit in price.