Mp3 Player

jbaldwin

My rather old protable CD player was finally packed up and I am thinking aboot placig it with an MP3 player. What are the respective advantages of an iPod or Creative Zen.

How easy is it to transfer my CD collection to an MP3 player. I have a laptop with Cd drive, Windows 2000 and AMD Athlon 4 processor

My rather old protable CD player was finally packed up and I am thinking aboot placig it with an MP3 player.  What are the respective advantages of an iPod or Creative Zen.

How easy is it to transfer my CD collection to an MP3 player.  I have a laptop with Cd drive, Windows 2000 and AMD Athlon 4 processor

for some reviews on both the ipod and zen

have a look here

and here

it is quite easy to convert your collection into mp3 or any other format to a mp3 player

you can use audiograbber for ripping

it supports win2k and no typing tis required as it downloads the songtitles from the freedb

check if the player supports your laptops port (firewire/usb)

if you choose an Ipod remember that it does not support drag and drop where as the zen does

Edited by bangbuathong

My rather old protable CD player was finally packed up and I am thinking aboot placig it with an MP3 player.  What are the respective advantages of an iPod or Creative Zen.

How easy is it to transfer my CD collection to an MP3 player.  I have a laptop with Cd drive, Windows 2000 and AMD Athlon 4 processor

I have a 20bg Creative Zen Touch when I saw my nephews I just had to have one, and am well pleased with it, never touched an ipod but I am suspicious of their I-tunes product trying to tie it into their scheme of things which I don't like the sound of. Go for the underdog!!!

i bought a creative due to price of ipod and i dont like the proprietary issues surrounding uploading to ipod.

the zen machine itself rocks. i love it. its small for 5gb, i love it. two issues though, i had to resolder the headphone jack. this is well known/documented short coming of zen micro. i actually had it replaced (A/L BKK) so as to not have future problems. next, the headphones which sound fantastic have cracked in places so ive had to patch them up (ive done it nicely). id toss them, but they are pricey and still sound good.

im thinking of selling the zen if you (anyone) is/are interested. like i said, it rocks but im just outgrowing it and as i travel a lot need to have all my music on the player as its a hassle to load sw, upload in internet cafe, etc....

this machine might get you started and introduce you to world of mp3. its changed my life. for years, no music - now, my life rocks again!

im listening to it now. :-))

I usually stay as far away from Apple products as possible, but I got a nano as it is the only 4gb SS mp3 player on the market.

I dont like using iTunes that much but it's not too bad... and the winamp plugin does not support several functions that iTunes does, eg album artwork, so I'm stuck with it. However, if you get a nano, budget on a good case (scratches when you look at it) and most likely a charger.

Anyway, it was an easy choice for me as there were no other options around. If your looking for a larger capacity hdd unit, I'd go for the Zen over the ipod, though also check out iRiver.

edit...

And for ripping your cds, have a look here... free and comes with lame encoder

Edited by Hikage

Well it also depends on how bothered about audio quality you are. The apple iPod products playback at far higher quality than any of the the creative or iRiver products. Although I do rate iRiver over creative.

Comes down to quality at the end of the day :o

btw I have a G3 iPod the quality of which is still better than the latest creative stuff.....I really wish apple competitors would concentrate more on the audio quality rather than just larger and larger capacity.......don't want to store my entire collection on one of these devices if it sounds awful when I play it back

I have had both. Ipod sound quality not as good as creative but itunes is much nicer software to work with. Ipods look nicer but are much more expensive id say its 50/50 if you want better sound get an ipod with a 30 or 60g memory and incode at 160 or 192 kps for better quality. Creatve players are very good and cheaper!