Which Medium Size Car To Buy?

Big Guns

I want to replace my wife's 2008 Honda City. She had a test drive of the Fiesta 1.6 sport ultimate. It was a great drive and had lots of useful features but it was just too small, so we've decided to go for something bigger. Her main criteria are; good handling, good brakes, powerful headlights and it should have a decent residual value (so no Cruze, Hyundai or Proton). We've had a test drive of the Mazda 3 and love it as it seems to tick all of the boxes although the residuals aren't that good. At the moment the cars we are considering are; Mazda 3 2.0, Mitsubishi Lancer 1.8/2.0, new model Honda Civic and the Ford Focus 2.0 I'd consider the TDCI if its still available. She doesn't fancy the Corolla Altis as she thinks it looks like a Bangkok taxi and every Tom, Dick and Somcee has one. Any views or knowledge of special offers would be great.

What are your normal driving conditions, an will it be only your wife driving it? I think the mid sized cars you mention are a good balance for mixed city / highway driving - but the fiesta would also cope well with the highway, and return very good fuel economy. But yes, the fiesta is quite small in the rear. Why not consider the ecocars if you are driving mostly in the city? There's the new mitsubishi mirage and suzuki swift (the latter might have lower residuals). The new ford focus tdci would be nice, but not sure when it will be available, lots of power but still give good fuel economy. I have a civic 2.0 and find it's a little heavy on petrol in town, that's why I suggested a smaller car if you drive mostly in the city. I saw some pics of the new civic, and don're really like it that much to be honest.

What are your normal driving conditions, an will it be only your wife driving it? I think the mid sized cars you mention are a good balance for mixed city / highway driving - but the fiesta would also cope well with the highway, and return very good fuel economy. But yes, the fiesta is quite small in the rear. Why not consider the ecocars if you are driving mostly in the city? There's the new mitsubishi mirage and suzuki swift (the latter might have lower residuals). The new ford focus tdci would be nice, but not sure when it will be available, lots of power but still give good fuel economy. I have a civic 2.0 and find it's a little heavy on petrol in town, that's why I suggested a smaller car if you drive mostly in the city. I saw some pics of the new civic, and don're really like it that much to be honest.

Her main use of the car is going to work which is about 10 kilometers along a 3 lane main road. Its quite a quick road and very dark at night so the car has to have some power and good lights. The lights on the City weren't up to the task. She also drives from Rayong to Bangkok about once every 2 months. The Fiesta is a great car and in Sport Ultimate trim is a great buy for someone wanting a safe small car with all the gadgets. Unfortunately the room in the back was too small and the space in the front felt more cramped than the City. The comfort in the back is important as if I travel with my wife I sit in the back as I don't like her drivinggiggle.gif. At the moment the Mazda 3 is the top choice because of; powerful engine, xenon lights, good handling and good looks.

Her main use of the car is going to work which is about 10 kilometers along a 3 lane main road. Its quite a quick road and very dark at night so the car has to have some power and good lights. The lights on the City weren't up to the task. She also drives from Rayong to Bangkok about once every 2 months. The Fiesta is a great car and in Sport Ultimate trim is a great buy for someone wanting a safe small car with all the gadgets. Unfortunately the room in the back was too small and the space in the front felt more cramped than the City. The comfort in the back is important as if I travel with my wife I sit in the back as I don't like her drivinggiggle.gif. At the moment the Mazda 3 is the top choice because of; powerful engine, xenon lights, good handling and good looks.

Ok, maybe someone can chime in the the fuel consumption of the 2.0 model. I think it's a little on the high side, if that is a concern. Apart from that it seems like a good vehicle. Has it got 4/8 airbags? The mitsu gt is close to it though, and you could try them back to back.

You can get upgrade kits for the headlights on the city.

If I wanted a medium size car I think I would be looking at the Cruze or I am warming towards the Captiva that would be my choice.smile.png

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

If I wanted a medium size car I think I would be looking at the Cruze or I am warming towards the Captiva that would be my choice.smile.png

The reviews of the Cruze in the UK aren't glowing plus the residuals are crap. I'm going to the motor show next week to have a look at the new Focus and new Civic before I make a decision.

The reviews of the Cruze in the UK aren't glowing plus the residuals are crap. I'm going to the motor show next week to have a look at the new Focus and new Civic before I make a decision.

I liked Kawasaki's post - if your wife is just mostly driving a 20km round-trip, why not buy after-market headlights for her Honda? Compared with the hit you're going to take selling it, upgraded brakes and engine tuning would be chump change to boot. I've a 2009 City and the after-market options are vast; a larger car for 20km/day would be a waste IMHO.

When is the new civic comming on the market ?

Honda's homepage still have the one on display.

As the wildtrak may be further delayed I will consider the new Civic instead as a second car.

The comfort in the back is important as if I travel with my wife I sit in the back as I don't like her driving

She doesn't fancy the Corolla Altis as she thinks it looks like a Bangkok taxi

Hardly surprising laugh.png

The new Ford Focus looks interesting and the price isn't too bad at 969,000 THB for the Sport and 1079 000for the sport+. I'm interested in seeing the differences in the specs of both models. There's no info out yet about the new Civic.

The new Ford Focus looks interesting and the price isn't too bad at 969,000 THB for the Sport and 1079 000for the sport+. I'm interested in seeing the differences in the specs of both models. There's no info out yet about the new Civic.

This is the new model to be shown at the Motor Show? it's petrol 170HP/200NM should give it some punch:) Some info on the ford website but I saw no prices there.

3 weeks ago I picked up a new car with almost the same rerquirements as you. Unfortunately my wife decided on the altis. Has the most space (by feel don't know capacity numbers) of cabin and boot/trunk. You're right that 90% of taxi's are altis' but there must be a reason as they aren't the cheapest. Most people I spoke with said that Toyota had the best residual value compared to Honda/Mazda. If it was my choice, I'd have gone for the Mazda 3, a harder ride with better handling would be my preference. The altis has a soft ride and very comfortable cabin so was probably the intelligent choice for the longer distances we will be doing. I still like the look of the Nissan Teana may be too big for what you want, worth a look

This is the new model to be shown at the Motor Show? it's petrol 170HP/200NM should give it some punch:) Some info on the ford website but I saw no prices there.

Here's the link from another Ford site

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=36254

Here's the link from another Ford site

http://media.ford.co...rticle_id=36254

Thanks. The main worry for most people is ford's after-sales service. It's sad as they probably have some of the best in-class vehicles available here now.

I've been thinking it might be time for an upgrade, but haven't committed to any model or brand yet. Depending on where you live and travel, it is nice to see all the Honda and Toyota dealers. You can be in the middle of La La Land (Issan) and see a Toyota dealer. Nice to know there is one just about around the next corner, if you need a quick repair. That was a concern of mine when I looked at a Ford a while back.