Australian Rules Football For The Aussies In Thai

Swans V Collingwood

What a great game! not high scoring, but played tough and the winner not decided until the final minutes.

These two are both genuine GF contenders, IMHO (slightly biased of course).

Swans let themselves down with poor kicking at goal. Couple of easy ones they missed cost the game, but the pressure was on throughout. Sydney also missed having a forward who could take a mark in the contest. Goodes was not on song and couldn't provide the spark they needed. Game could have gone either way. Bodes well for both teams.

I think it's imperative for the Swans to get a home final if they want to make it.

At this stage of the season Collingwood look the goods but it can change pretty quickly.

Cannot discount Ade and they will have a home final.

I can see a large gap between the top for and the rest now.

Judging on the next 3 games I think the top 4 in order will be:

Ade

Coll

Syd &

Hawks.

So, Ade v Hawks in Ade and

Syd V Coll in Melbourne.

Regards

Will

I watched the first half of the Swans Collingwood yesterday but mised the rest. Everytime Sydney plays my wife organises outings ( St Kilk,a trip to Chiang Rai) So at half time yesterday she says I have to go to hospital. How inconsiderate. Our baby was born this morning. I am very glad to miss the rest. I did not find out the result until this afternoon.

Back to AFL

Well done Collingwood on their win.

Will I think you maybe spot on.I think that Adelaide will be number 1 with their easy draw. Collingwood have play West Coast over there but Sydney have to play 2 very hard last round games. The smokie in the field maybe Nth Melbourne but I have read they have some injuries.

Congratulations to your wife and yourself on your new arrival.

Thankyou Ron

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats on the new arrival mate.

I think The Hawks could win it as well, and Geelong could be dangerous.

I think WCE are out of gas and fowards, Nth, Ess and Freo (if they get there)

just aren't good enough at this stage.

Some more crucial games again this week.

Regards

Will

Regards

Will

North have won 8 of their last 9 games, including a 53 point drubbing of Carlton and a 32 point win over Adelaide. Their only loss was by 2 points to WCE five weeks ago.

They shouldn't be discounted IMHO. Their self-belief must be high, and all of that followed a 115 point drubbing by Hawthorn in Round 10.

Regards

Will

North have won 8 of their last 9 games, including a 53 point drubbing of Carlton and a 32 point win over Adelaide. Their only loss was by 2 points to WCE five weeks ago.

They shouldn't be discounted IMHO. Their self-belief must be high, and all of that followed a 115 point drubbing by Hawthorn in Round 10.

This has been the Kangaroos recent run. of wins

Essendon

WBU

Mebourne

Richmond

Carlton

LOST - to West Coast by 2 points

Adelaide

Gold Coast

Malthouse doesn't think much of Sydney or Adelaide.

Sydney is discounted by many, but they have beaten 5 of the top 8 sides this year.

http://www.smh.com.a...0812-242w2.html

Adelaide has had a dream run with the fixtures. They are the only team to play both the new teams twice as well as another cellar dweller in Port. Even with a home final I dont think they will advance very far.

Sydney are going to have to learn to kick straight, far too many points mean far too many close games.

I still like Hawthorn this year, but Collingwood is looking a little stroger now than a few weeks ago.

Regards

Will

thankyou Will

Regards

Will

This has been the Kangaroos recent run. of wins

Essendon

WBU

Mebourne

Richmond

Carlton

LOST - to West Coast by 2 points

Adelaide

Gold Coast

A win against the St's was there as well.

Having said that, out of their 8 wins, only 2 were top 8 sides

and only Ade was top 4.

I think North are honest at best who are playing some good footy.

I still think there is a big gap between the top 4 now.

Regards

Will

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) is headhunting gun AFL administrator and strategist Gillon McLachlan to replace its former chief executive David Gallop.

It is understood McLachlan, the man earmarked to eventually take over the reins from current AFL boss Andrew Demetriou, has been told by the ARL Commission "the job is yours if you want it"

McLachlan, who joined the AFL in 2000 and is its chief operations officer, is highly regarded within the AFL as a savvy operator.

Apart from negotiating the AFL's latest record TV deal, he also secured over a billion dollars in funding from state and federal governments as part of a massive stadium redevelopment arrangement.

The NRL is understood to be prepared to significantly bump up the $750,000-a-year salary paid to Gallop to land McLachlan, reportedly on a $1 million dollar-plus package with the AFL.

"They (NRL) would have go pretty high to have a chance, but he's definitely the man they want," a source told AAP on Friday.

"He is considered a gun operator within the AFL."

Former Melbourne Demons captain Garry Lyon said poaching McLachlan from the AFL would be a massive coup for rugby league.

"If they are able to pull something like that off, I mean that could be a real body blow to the AFL," said Lyon

Just thinking this morning about players or characters from the past and this was the 1st one to come to mind.

The " Galloping Gasometer " Mick Nolan.

Career: 1973-1980

Games: 107

Goals: 40

Brownlow Medal: 6 career votes

Guernsey Numbers: 22

Height: 194cm

Weight: 124kg

DOB: 9 November 1949 (Debut: 23y 184d, Last: 30y 274d)

In an era in which fitness was an essential, Mick Nolan's very presence in league football challenged many coaching notions.

His playing weight hovered around 114kg and his profile featured a stomach that hung over his belt-line. Yet the "Galloping Gasometer" played a key role in the Roos' first flag. At first he resented the nickname coined by Lou Richards who said that when Nolan ran past he blocked out the view of the gasometer, but in a touch of irony the Gas and Fuel organisation rang him and offered him a job which he took up for the remainder of his time in Melbourne.

One of nine children, Nolan was recruited from Ovens and Murray Club Wangaratta Rovers after having tried twice to make the grade wth Geelong, but returning home when he only made the supplementary list.

He was described by coach Barassi as just naturally a big guy. He was a fine palmer of the ball and the great Barry Cable loved roving to him. He played in North's first premiership in 1975 and oddly enough he had not known when he arrived at the club that the Roos had never won a premiership. Nolan misses the next North premiership in 1977 after dislocating a shoulder earlier in the finals series.

Despite the perception of him not liking to train, Nolan worked hard and from 1975 trained in John Toleman's group at Caulfield racecourse over the summer months. He later went to Queensland where he coached the state team.

Profile from 'The Encyclopedia of AFL Footballers'post-140056-0-35603400-1345271549_thumb.

Here is another one.

Carl R Ditterich

St Kilda 1963-72 and 1976-78 203 games 156 goals. Melbourne 1973-75 and 1979-80 82 games 43 goals. (b: 10 Oct 1945 193 cms 90.5 kgs) Ditterich was one of the most feared ruckmen in League history and was a star from his very first game. That was in an opening round match against Melbourne in 1963. Ditterich easily was best on the ground and his ruck play was a revelation. Ditterich mixed brilliant marking and strong ruck play with raw aggression and often was in trouble with the League Tribunal. In fact suspension cost him a place in the 1966 St Kilda premiership side. Ditterich recruited from East Brighton won the Saints' best and fairest in 1968 but joined Melbourne under the short-lived 10-year rule in 1973 and won the Demons' best and fairest that year. He returned to St Kilda as captain for the 1976-77 seasons and after the 1978 season was invited to accept the position of captain-coach of Melbourne for 1979-80.

post-140056-0-38409300-1345275563.jpg

Just thinking this morning about players or characters from the past and this was the 1st one to come to mind.

In an era in which fitness was an essential, Mick Nolan's very presence in league football challenged many coaching notions.

His playing weight hovered around 114kg and his profile featured a stomach that hung over his belt-line. Yet the "Galloping Gasometer" played a key role in the Roos' first flag. At first he resented the nickname coined by Lou Richards who said that when Nolan ran past he blocked out the view of the gasometer, but in a touch of irony the Gas and Fuel organisation rang him and offered him a job which he took up for the remainder of his time in Melbourne.

One of nine children, Nolan was recruited from Ovens and Murray Club Wangaratta Rovers after having tried twice to make the grade wth Geelong, but returning home when he only made the supplementary list.

He was described by coach Barassi as just naturally a big guy. He was a fine palmer of the ball and the great Barry Cable loved roving to him. He played in North's first premiership in 1975 and oddly enough he had not known when he arrived at the club that the Roos had never won a premiership. Nolan misses the next North premiership in 1977 after dislocating a shoulder earlier in the finals series.

Despite the perception of him not liking to train, Nolan worked hard and from 1975 trained in John Toleman's group at Caulfield racecourse over the summer months. He later went to Queensland where he coached the state team.

Profile from 'The Encyclopedia of AFL Footballers'post-140056-0-35603400-1345271549_thumb.

Thanks for this, Ron19.

This is what AFL Queensland says of the late Mick Nolan:

Rated by Barry Cable as the best palm ruckman he played with, he was sent north to Queensland by then VFL president Allen Aylett to help foster the game in the Sunshine State. And that he did. He was Mayne captain-coach from 1981-85, playing 103 QAFL games and taking the Tigers to what turned out to be their last flag in 1982. He returned as coach from mid-1996-97 when the club was in crisis, and also had a long stint as Chairman of Selectors.

Was also a wonderful servant of State football and a well respected newspaper columnist in the early 1980’s era that was a critical pre-cursor to the establishment of the Brisbane Bears. He played 11 times for Queensland from 1981-84, captaining the Maroons to the first leg of an historic hat-trick of interstate titles against NSW, ACT and Tasmania in 1983 before being in the second leg in ’84. He also coached Queensland in 1987-88, was assistant-coach under Peter Knights at the 1988 Bi-Centennial Championships and likewise under Tommy Hafey at the 1989 Division Two Championships. Also served as a State selector.

Larger than life itself, with a personality to match, he was given a massive send-off by football people from across Australian when he died on 27 May 2008 of cancer.

Thanks for this, Ron19.

This is what AFL Queensland says of the late Mick Nolan:

Rated by Barry Cable as the best palm ruckman he played with, he was sent north to Queensland by then VFL president Allen Aylett to help foster the game in the Sunshine State. And that he did. He was Mayne captain-coach from 1981-85, playing 103 QAFL games and taking the Tigers to what turned out to be their last flag in 1982. He returned as coach from mid-1996-97 when the club was in crisis, and also had a long stint as Chairman of Selectors.

Was also a wonderful servant of State football and a well respected newspaper columnist in the early 1980’s era that was a critical pre-cursor to the establishment of the Brisbane Bears. He played 11 times for Queensland from 1981-84, captaining the Maroons to the first leg of an historic hat-trick of interstate titles against NSW, ACT and Tasmania in 1983 before being in the second leg in ’84. He also coached Queensland in 1987-88, was assistant-coach under Peter Knights at the 1988 Bi-Centennial Championships and likewise under Tommy Hafey at the 1989 Division Two Championships. Also served as a State selector.

Larger than life itself, with a personality to match, he was given a massive send-off by football people from across Australian when he died on 27 May 2008 of cancer.

Thanks for this extra information and sorry to hear that he had passed away.i wasn't aware of that.

post-140056-0-93844100-1345280222_thumb.

Roy Cazaly

Cazaly in his Victorian jumper

Personal information

Full name Roy Cazaly

Nickname(s) Cazza

Date of birth (1893-01-13)13 January 1893

Place of birth Albert Park, Victoria

Date of death 10 October 1963(1963-10-10) (aged 70)

Place of death Hobart, Tasmania

Original team Middle Park

Height/Weight 180 cm / 80 kg

Position(s) Ruckman

Playing career1

Years Club Games (Goals)

192124, 192627

Total St Kilda

South Melbourne 99 (38)

99 (129)

198 (167)

Representative team honours

Years Team Games (Goals)

Victoria

Tasmania 13 (?)

5 (?)

Coaching career3

Years Club Games (WLD)

1922, 193738

Total South Melbourne

Hawthorn 52 (12382)

30 (10200)

82 (22582)

1 Playing statistics to end of 1927 season .

3 Coaching statistics correct as of 1943.

Career highlights

St Kilda best and fairest: 1918

St Kilda captain: 1920

South Melbourne most consistent: 1926

Roy Cazaly (13 January 1893 10 October 1963) was an Australian rules football player famous for his high marks and ruck work, which gave rise to the phrase "Up There Cazaly".

[edit] Early life/careerCazaly was born in Albert Park, a suburb of Melbourne, on 13 January 1893. He was the tenth child of English-born James Cazaly and his wife Elizabeth Jemima (née McNee), a midwife and herbalist from Scotland.

Cazaly learnt his football at the local state school, quickly becoming its first-choice ruckman and tried out for VFL side Carlton Football Club in 1910 but quit the club when he injured a shoulder in a reserves match but could not get the Carlton medical staff to treat it.[1] Cazaly crossed to fellow VFL side St Kilda and made his senior debut in 1911 during a players' strike, when many of St Kilda's regular senior players refused to play as a result of a dispute with the club's committee over dressing rooms.[2] He played 99 matches with St Kilda.

[edit] VFL fameIn 1920 he left St Kilda, signing with South Melbourne. He coached that club in 1922, and won South's most consistent player award in 1926.[3]

Cazaly was famous for his ability to take spectacular marks despite his small stature, and at South Melbourne a teammate, Fred "Skeeter" Fleiter, would often yell "Up there, Cazaly", a phrase that would become synonymous with Australian rules football. He initially developed his marking ability by jumping at a ball strung up in a shed at his home, and held his breath as he jumped, an action that he believed lifted him higher. He also possessed the capacity to kick a football over 65 metres. In 2009 The Australian nominated Cazaly as one of the 25 greatest footballers never to win a Brownlow Medal.[4]

[edit] Coaching careerIn 1928 he departed Victoria and headed for Launceston, Tasmania, before returning in 1931 to coach Preston in the Victorian Football Association. His subsequent return to Tasmania was punctuated by short stints as non-playing coach of South Melbourne (in 19371938), playing coach of Camberwell (in 1941) and non-playing coach of Hawthorn (in 19421943), and as non-playing assistant coach of South in 1947. While coaching Hawthorn, he was reported to have given the club its nickname the "Hawks" as he saw it as tougher than their original nickname the "Mayblooms".

[edit] LegacyHe is known to have played 378 senior matches (including 13 interstate matches for Victoria and 5 for Tasmania). Throughout his career he stood at just 180 centimetres (5 feet 11 inches) and was incredibly fit. He retired from competitive football in 1941 at the age of 48. Later, he coached (non-playing) New Town to a number of Tasmanian Football League premierships. After his retirement from football, he was involved in many business ventures before his death in Hobart on 10 October 1963. His son, Roy junior, played for New Town after World War II.

The famous line of "Up there, Cazaly" was used a battle cry by Australian forces during World War II.[5]

It is also the name of a song, released in 1979 by Mike Brady and the Two-Man Band.

Cazaly was inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame in 1996 as one of the inaugural twelve Legends.

Cazaly's Stadium in Cairns, Queensland is named after Roy Cazaly.

Edited by Ron19

Geelong

Essendon thumbsup.gif

GWS blink.png

Fremantle

Collingwood

Adelaide

West Coast

Swans

Hawthorn

Mine are

Geelong

Essendon

Melbourne

Collingwood

Brisbane My upset of the round

Westcoast

Swans

Hawthorn

Well picked upset!

With Brisbane and Nth Melbourne winning it is a great result for the Swans. My previous prediction of Nth Melbourne as the dark horse still stands. They play Fremantle next week in Melbourne. Collingwood travel to Perth and the Swans play Hawthorn in Sydney. A very interesting round. Good news is Australian network will show Geelong V Swans live in the last round

Geelong

Essendon thumbsup.gif

GWS blink.png

Fremantle

Collingwood

Adelaide

West Coast

Swans

Hawthorn

Mine are

Geelong

Essendon

Melbourne

Collingwood

Brisbane My upset of the round

Westcoast

Swans

Hawthorn

I forgot Fremantle

How did you pick Brisbane to win ? Well done.

post-140056-0-93844100-1345280222_thumb.

Roy Cazaly

Cazaly in his Victorian jumper

Personal information

Full name Roy Cazaly

Nickname(s) Cazza

Date of birth (1893-01-13)13 January 1893

Place of birth Albert Park, Victoria

Date of death 10 October 1963(1963-10-10) (aged 70)

Place of death Hobart, Tasmania

Original team Middle Park

Height/Weight 180 cm / 80 kg

Position(s) Ruckman

Playing career1

Years Club Games (Goals)

192124, 192627

Total St Kilda

South Melbourne 99 (38)

99 (129)

198 (167)

Representative team honours

Years Team Games (Goals)

Victoria

Tasmania 13 (?)

5 (?)

Coaching career3

Years Club Games (WLD)

1922, 193738

Total South Melbourne

Hawthorn 52 (12382)

30 (10200)

82 (22582)

1 Playing statistics to end of 1927 season .

3 Coaching statistics correct as of 1943.

Career highlights

St Kilda best and fairest: 1918

St Kilda captain: 1920

South Melbourne most consistent: 1926

Roy Cazaly (13 January 1893 10 October 1963) was an Australian rules football player famous for his high marks and ruck work, which gave rise to the phrase "Up There Cazaly".

[edit] Early life/careerCazaly was born in Albert Park, a suburb of Melbourne, on 13 January 1893. He was the tenth child of English-born James Cazaly and his wife Elizabeth Jemima (née McNee), a midwife and herbalist from Scotland.

Cazaly learnt his football at the local state school, quickly becoming its first-choice ruckman and tried out for VFL side Carlton Football Club in 1910 but quit the club when he injured a shoulder in a reserves match but could not get the Carlton medical staff to treat it.[1] Cazaly crossed to fellow VFL side St Kilda and made his senior debut in 1911 during a players' strike, when many of St Kilda's regular senior players refused to play as a result of a dispute with the club's committee over dressing rooms.[2] He played 99 matches with St Kilda.

[edit] VFL fameIn 1920 he left St Kilda, signing with South Melbourne. He coached that club in 1922, and won South's most consistent player award in 1926.[3]

Cazaly was famous for his ability to take spectacular marks despite his small stature, and at South Melbourne a teammate, Fred "Skeeter" Fleiter, would often yell "Up there, Cazaly", a phrase that would become synonymous with Australian rules football. He initially developed his marking ability by jumping at a ball strung up in a shed at his home, and held his breath as he jumped, an action that he believed lifted him higher. He also possessed the capacity to kick a football over 65 metres. In 2009 The Australian nominated Cazaly as one of the 25 greatest footballers never to win a Brownlow Medal.[4]

[edit] Coaching careerIn 1928 he departed Victoria and headed for Launceston, Tasmania, before returning in 1931 to coach Preston in the Victorian Football Association. His subsequent return to Tasmania was punctuated by short stints as non-playing coach of South Melbourne (in 19371938), playing coach of Camberwell (in 1941) and non-playing coach of Hawthorn (in 19421943), and as non-playing assistant coach of South in 1947. While coaching Hawthorn, he was reported to have given the club its nickname the "Hawks" as he saw it as tougher than their original nickname the "Mayblooms".

[edit] LegacyHe is known to have played 378 senior matches (including 13 interstate matches for Victoria and 5 for Tasmania). Throughout his career he stood at just 180 centimetres (5 feet 11 inches) and was incredibly fit. He retired from competitive football in 1941 at the age of 48. Later, he coached (non-playing) New Town to a number of Tasmanian Football League premierships. After his retirement from football, he was involved in many business ventures before his death in Hobart on 10 October 1963. His son, Roy junior, played for New Town after World War II.

The famous line of "Up there, Cazaly" was used a battle cry by Australian forces during World War II.[5]

It is also the name of a song, released in 1979 by Mike Brady and the Two-Man Band.

Cazaly was inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame in 1996 as one of the inaugural twelve Legends.

Cazaly's Stadium in Cairns, Queensland is named after Roy Cazaly.

http://youtu.be/luu2E-Cv3Wo

Here is a new challange. Only 2 rounds left who can predict the first 4 or 8 in correct order.

Here is my 8 with their final points

It is a very big guess as percentage will be very important.

Sydney 68

Adelaide 68

Hawthorn 64

Coollingwood 64

Eagles 64

Nth Melb 60

Geelong 60

Freemantle 52

Edited by ripstanley