Australian Rules Football For The Aussies In Thai

Daryn Cresswell gambling problem and jail

Darkness descends. The six-lane highway stretches forth like a never-ending tentacle lined by street lights and twinkling shop windows. Daryn "Crezza" Cresswell glances down at his two hands gripping the steering wheel, at his chewed fingernails.

He's on the white-knuckle express from his home in Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast, still more than a hour's drive away, his mission to retrieve nearly $200,000 in gambling debts owed to him by a former golfing buddy, Peter Smith, who's been playing cat and mouse with him for weeks. How did an occasional punt on the horses during his football career metastasise into a full-blown, pathological gambling problem after it? How did his circle of footy mates get replaced by a posse of loan sharks; his once-loving wife turn into an angry and bitter woman? It had taken just over two years for Cresswell to get himself into this mess, to accrue close to a million bucks in gambling debts.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/fallen-idol-20130722-2qda9.html
Edited by BookMan

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hird drove everything: Robinson

ESSENDON'S former fitness boss Dean 'The Weapon' Robinson insists he was just following directions from coach James Hird throughout the club's controversial supplements program.

"The Weapon's not the man, he was just a person doing his job," Robinson said on Wednesday night.
In an extended, paid interview with the Seven Network, an at times emotional Robinson painted a picture of a club completely controlled by Hird.
"Everything was known, nothing was closed door, James Hird drove everything," Robinson claimed.

There may be a verdict today, and there will be a lot of Essendon supporters sweating it out. Lot of Carlton supporters will be eager to hear the decision also, they may be playing finals.

That's right BookMan both White and Mitchell have copped sprays from Mcveigh on all of these occasions - irrespective of the 6 points that ensued from that bloody long bomb tongue.png

Think you might be on to something there with the tattoo thing to wink.png

Sydney also have to consider that players like Goodes, Bolton, O'Keefe are nearing the end of their careers.

Maybe Sydney could trade Mitch Morton to Freo?

I'd like to see some type of salary cap concession for older players, say over 33. Perhaps they could play more limited games? Something to keep them in the game longer, but without teh current pressure on salary cap and having to shed an older player to bring through young blood.

Don't say that mate. WCE already have one Morton and WA doesn't need another onebah.gif

No matter how "BAD" it looks, I can rest easy with the knowledge that I have had the courage to put my tips in week by week throughout this seaon and the previous one.

blink.png <deleted> are you talking about?

No matter how "BAD" it looks, I can rest easy with the knowledge that I have had the courage to put my tips in week by week throughout this seaon and the previous one.

blink.png <deleted> are you talking about?

I thought you might have been jokingly referencing this Tv series Will... returns to air Aug 11!

http://youtu.be/f-bZmu0NEso

So did Ifacepalm.gif

When does the final teams list come out for this round? I was interested in WCE injuries. GC could be a chance this week

The final teams are out on the AFL website at 3.30pm Thailand time.

I reckon if it was away, we'd lose, but at home, I think/hope we might hang onthumbsup.gif

Here's my tips for this week:

Geelong

GWS

Hawthorn

GC

Brisbane

Carlton

Sydney

Adelaide

Collingwood

Have to throw in a couple of realistic upsets, just to make it interesting wink.png

Thought North might be in your upset region?

I did say "realistic upsets" BookMan ;)

A 122 point drubbing of Melbourne last week doesn't really count :P

AFL press conference on ASADA findings due shortly...

EDIT: Going live now with Andrew Dillon AFL's General Counsel...

Pretty quick but here's a quick run down...

400 page report

100 plus interviews

AFL to review report before further comments

ASADA investigation ongoing

No questions taken and it was a bit of a waste of time really... A press release could have done the same thing with the same effect...

Edited by GrantSmith

Mitch morton has told his Swans team mates he is retiring at end of year

It's all about timing I guess.

The lucky bugger didn't play that many games for the Swanns

but ended up with a premiership medallion.

Good luck to him.

400 page report

100 plus interviews

No questions taken and it was a bit of a waste of time really... A press release could have done the same thing with the same effect...

Any idea when possible sanctions/penalties announced?

Mitch morton has told his Swans team mates he is retiring at end of year

It's all about timing I guess.

The lucky bugger didn't play that many games for the Swanns

but ended up with a premiership medallion.

Good luck to him.

Him retiring and injuries also helps Jesse Whites chances of staying at Sydney. Andrejs Everitt is not able to take his chances wither which will help White.

400 page report

100 plus interviews

Any idea when possible sanctions/penalties announced?

No indication... Basically it was the AFL saying: "the boss's away on a junket in the states... when he's gets back, we'll have a chat with him about how we move forward... In the meantime, we'll pass this onto the Essendon Football Club and the AFL Commission for them to have some bedtime reading"

The point about ASADA investigation continuing results from ASADA being given greater investigative powers by the Federal Government and can now call further witnesses i.e Stephen Dank and these witnesses can be compelled to testify/give evidence. I think without fear of reprisal i.e whistleblower protection. But I'm not 100% around this yet.

• Like 1

Geelong

GWS

Hawthorn

GC

Brisbane

Carlton

Sydney

Adelaide

Collingwood

Have to throw in a couple of realistic upsets, just to make it interesting wink.png

Perhaps I should have tipped them, late in the second quarter up by 20 points after being down by 18 midway in the first...

Geelong

GWS

Hawthorn

GC

Brisbane

Carlton

Sydney

Adelaide

Collingwood

Perhaps I should have tipped them, late in the second quarter up by 20 points after being down by 18 midway in the first...

Looking good too..

Edited by BookMan