Simple Memory Upgrade

sensei

I would like to ask for some information because I have already run out of options.

I have a low-end eMachine computer (Acer desktop)

Model: ET1850

Processor: Intel E660 3.06GHz

Memory: Samsung DDR3 1333MHz

Motherboard: G41T-AM

It is currently running XP and I want to upgrade it to Windows 7. I decided to get a Kingston 4GB DDR3 from JIB to make W7 run smoother. When I added the RAM, a continuous beep came from the motherboard and the computer wouldn't boot. I tried to boot using only the original RAM and it started normally. I tried using the new 4GB module and the computer beeped again.

I did a research about the motherboard and it the website says, "

2 * 240-pin DDR2 DIMM slots Supports Dual Channel DDR3 1333/1066 MHz non-ECC , un-buffered memory Max. 4GB Support Fully Tested" I figured that the mother might only be unable to hold a single 4GB module so I decided to go back to JIB to have it replaced with a single 2GB module. JIB replaced it and gave me a refund but warned me that it will be the last time I can have it returned.

I put it in together with the original RAM and it beeped again. It beeped when it was together with the old RAM and beeped when it was in there alone.

What could possibly be wrong here?

I understand that a very long beep is a sign of a bad memory module but I have tried two new memory sticks and the same thing happened.

I have tried everything including wiping the connectors clean and pushing the stick all the way in.

The computer is back to the original 1GB stick and it is working fine on XP.

My windows 7 upgrade for that unit would have to wait until I get some input from the experts out there.

Thanks in advance!

Sensei

Edit: Formatting

Edited by sensei

The particular DDR chip(s) you have bought are probably simply incompatible with your motherboard....or should I say your motherboard is incompatible with the DDR you bought. Although the basic specs seem to match up there is still something in the DDR specs (i.e., timing, wait states, etc) that make them incompatible with your motherboard. Matching RAM to a motherboard can sometimes be a pain.

Have you checked the official ECS website, it says DDR2 only but it will support up to 8GB. Don't believe all this backward compatibility rubbish and try using DDR3. What is your current 1GB? is it DDR2 or 3?.

ECS website (www.ecs.com.tw):

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=925&CategoryID=1&MenuID=16&LanID=0

Edited by sysardman

The particular DDR chip(s) you have bought are probably simply incompatible with your motherboard....or should I say your motherboard is incompatible with the DDR you bought. Although the basic specs seem to match up there is still something in the DDR specs (i.e., timing, wait states, etc) that make them incompatible with your motherboard. Matching RAM to a motherboard can sometimes be a pain.

I had that problem before on a proprietary Compaq motherboard. Great difficulty in getting RAM to work.

Currently have an ASUS motherboard which seems much more forgiving.

From a memory supplier's website:

"Your Acer EMachines ET1850 only supports memory modules made with a specific type of chip."

Looks like the memory modules you have, despite having the same description, are ones that will not work with your system.

A search of other RAM suppliers/manufacturers also shows only a limited number of compatible memory modules for the ET1850.

Edited by Ginkas

@Pip

It really appears to be an incompatibility issue really puzzles me. The original stick is a Samsung 1GB 1RX8 PC3 10600U-09 -0-ZZZ so i got a Kingston S8N9 2GB 1333 PC stick. It was a lot easier when I was swapping the RAM of different notebook computers!

@Sysardman

The original stick is DDR3 and the motherboard (G42T-AM) supports it. The ECS website gives information about G41T-M but it doesn't have any information about G42T-AM.

@Katana

Yes, my other laptop computers are a lot easier to upgrade.

@Ginkas

I will look into that before buying another RAM

@TwentyBaht

I tried both, a single 4GB RAM in one slot but i didn't work so i used a single 2GB RAM in one slot but it still didn't work. I am back to a single 1GB stick in one slot.

To all who have responded, thank you!

From a memory supplier's website:

"Your Acer EMachines ET1850 only supports memory modules made with a specific type of chip."

Looks like the memory modules you have, despite having the same description, are ones that will not work with your system.

A search of other RAM suppliers/manufacturers also shows only a limited number of compatible memory modules for the ET1850.

I looked it up and it showed THIS.

Pretty close if not exactly the same specs as the Kingston module i got.

The difference that I see here is the size of the physical module.

The Samsung module is bigger/taller while the Kingston is shorter in height.

Both are of the same length (240-pin) so it fits and matches all the connectors

Edited by sensei

@Sysardman

The original stick is DDR3 and the motherboard (G42T-AM) supports it. The ECS website gives information about G41T-M but it doesn't have any information about G42T-AM.

You did put G41T-AM in your original post, not G42T-AM - sorry my info was no use.

• Like 1

@Sysardman

You did put G41T-AM in your original post, not G42T-AM - sorry my info was no use.

No big deal...

Thanks anyway!

I give up.

I went back to JIB and they tested the stick and it worked on their computer which had an ASUS motherboard. It really boils down to incompatibility between the Kingston stick and the motherboard.

post-28695-0-77792200-1332752438_thumb.j

The one on top worked at JIB but made the computer at home beep.

The one below works normally.

Strange because if I am not mistaken, both modules are the same.

I give up.

I went back to JIB and they tested the stick and it worked on their computer which had an ASUS motherboard. It really boils down to incompatibility between the Kingston stick and the motherboard.

I would suggest trying to find larger capacity versions of the working Samsung memory module or take the main box of your PC to JIB and ask them to fit ones that work.

The modules in the photo don't look the same to me!!!! does the Kingston one use Samsung chips?.

Matching memory is like a black art at times and I've been in the same boat myself. Sometime ago I bought some PC2700 modules for my Acer laptop, when I fitted them the computer seemed OK but crashed intermittently. I carried out loads of tests and finally replaced the new memory with the old memory and the problem went away. I sent the new memory back to the supplier and they sent some that were same brand and size but PC3200 saying they were backward compatible - yeah right - my laptop wouldn't even boot with those in!!!!

Have you tried one of the memory selection sites like Crucial etc - these allow you to specify your PC or motherboard and will suggest compatible memory

I give up.

I would suggest trying to find larger capacity versions of the working Samsung memory module or take the main box of your PC to JIB and ask them to fit ones that work.

The modules in the photo don't look the same to me!!!! does the Kingston one use Samsung chips?.

Matching memory is like a black art at times and I've been in the same boat myself. Sometime ago I bought some PC2700 modules for my Acer laptop, when I fitted them the computer seemed OK but crashed intermittently. I carried out loads of tests and finally replaced the new memory with the old memory and the problem went away. I sent the new memory back to the supplier and they sent some that were same brand and size but PC3200 saying they were backward compatible - yeah right - my laptop wouldn't even boot with those in!!!!

Have you tried one of the memory selection sites like Crucial etc - these allow you to specify your PC or motherboard and will suggest compatible memory

Update - checked Crucial site came up with these: http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=2945D484A5CA7304

Guaranteed to work in your PC

Checked on Kingston site and couldn't find anything - their search engine didn't appear to have your model on it.

Really a long shot, but is there a BIOS update for your machine? If so, try the RAM again after updating.

I think it is a little too risky weighing the risks.

I'll just let the technicians select the correct RAM for me.

Really a long shot, but is there a BIOS update for your machine? If so, try the RAM again after updating.

I think it is a little too risky weighing the risks.

I'll just let the technicians select the correct RAM for me.

Do we have a result yet?

I had that problem before on a proprietary Compaq motherboard. Great difficulty in getting RAM to work.

Currently have an ASUS motherboard which seems much more forgiving.

Yep, Compaq prefers the Infineon brand of RAM. Kingston i could never get to work in the past.