Driving A -2000cc Car In Bkk Is Like...

corkscrew

I've had my 2005 SLK 200 for just a little over 6 months. The car has been driven almost exclusively in Bangkok...with only 2 or 3 short trips up to Ayutthaya (about 90k north of BKK).

During that time my total average speed was 19KPH (11.8 MPH). Fuel consumption was 14.6L per 100 K (16.1 MPG).

Granted, 20% of my 'driving' time was spent thumbing through magazines waiting for red traffic lights to turn green.

Edited by corkscrew

I've had my 2005 SLK 200 for just a little over 6 months. The car has been driven almost exclusively in Bangkok...with only 2 or 3 short trips up to Ayutthaya (about 90k north of BKK).

During that time my total average speed was 19KPH (11.8 MPH). Fuel consumption was 14.6L per 100 K (16.1 MPG).

Granted, 20% of my 'driving' time was spent thumbing through magazines waiting for red traffic lights to turn green.

PS: The US fuel spec for the 230 version on US roads is 9.6 L per 100K (24mpg). Admitedly, they use light footed drivers to keep the fleet average low.

The title of your post definitely applies to my car. My old Toyota Corona originally had a 1.8 liter engine in it. When that engine went belly up, my father-in-law had a 2.0 from another car put in and that engine has been there ever since. I believe the mileage is like 7km per liter, which is atrocious for such a small engine. I once had a Dodge Grand Caravan SE with a 3.8 liter V6 that got the same or better mileage!