Why Don'T Thai People Like Indian Food?

brit1984

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when we were in Abu Dhabi the wife never liked indian food much...then we went to Penang on a visa run and she went crazy...we peered into the street side tandoori oven and the secrets therein and I said: 'that's where they make the bread and the chicken...'

she would then silently tuck in without further discussion...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

when we were in Abu Dhabi the wife never liked indian food much...then we went to Penang on a visa run and she went crazy...we peered into the street side tandoori oven and the secrets therein and I said: 'that's where they make the bread and the chicken...'

she would then silently tuck in without further discussion...

Yep, must agree, my mrs hates anything not Thai or Lao, BUT, when l buy Indian stuff she/they are around me like a honey pot. Very strange, but, we/I are always wrong in everything UNTIL proven right.

Lot's of Indian style food that Thai's have called their own. The best of Thai food is Indian,. Mamasan curry, Penang, Boo, ka pong kalee.

Moving away from food. The Ramayana Indian epic was a nice story. And a guy called Gutama Buddha was pretty cool.

India rocks in Thailand. It's the love that don't speak its name.

• Like 2

If they don't know it's Indian food then they like many of the plainer dishes, and I would think would get used to the stronger alien spices. Muslim Thai food is different, many Thais from other regions are fine with many of those dishes.

But they aren't willing to acquire unfamiliar tastes when they don't have a good impression of the associated ethnic group.

Same with Arab, Persian, Turkish/Greek, African etc.

Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Italian, French are fashionable and therefore worth it to them to go to the trouble of getting used to the unfamiliar stronger aspects.

I think Bigjohnny's comment above pretty much nails it.

The Thai's I know who have been encouraged (or often in the cased of our wives) forced to enjoy more than one gastronomic Indian in general like Indian food.

The Thai's I know who have never tried it don't like it.

Both 'groups' would agree that it smells, both would likely agree that Pla-Raa smells, but thats acceptable, much in the same way we in the west tolerate the whiff of blue cheese.

Strange how the Japanese curry is popular here, I find it remarkably Indian !

But they aren't willing to acquire unfamiliar tastes when they don't have a good impression of the associated ethnic group'

Edited by richard_smith237

when working in Vietnam the last time there was a blustering english fat man...he was tiresome but he sure did know how to cook...here we were with a microwave and he assembled a memorable curry...it got me offa my ass and I discovered a new world of hotel room cuisine...

the last days of western colonialism in north Vietnam...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrG1UGx2Yfw

Edited by tutsiwarrior

My experience with a couple of Thai women has been that they have a very stong knee jerk "I wont like that", and then look for a reason why they wont like it.

However, perserverence is the key, and a couple of exposures to something like curry get them "used" to it, and eventually, much to their surprise enjoying it.

I was surprised by this when I first came to Thailand. I told my Thai teacher (middle class, university graduate) that I had been for an Indian meal the day before and she said she didn't like Indian food. I thought that perhaps she had had some that just wasn't very good so I asked her where she had eaten it. Her reply? "Oh, I've never eaten any because I don't like it". I have since encountered this phenomenon several more times, so you might want to check that the Thai people you're talking to have actually eaten Indian food!

I'm that way about smelly old grease fried insects, Haggis, dog stew, "sweetbreads", Pizza Company pizza, and a bunch of other stuff, so maybe they're just being human ...

I'm that way about smelly old grease fried insects, Haggis, dog stew, "sweetbreads", Pizza Company pizza, and a bunch of other stuff, so maybe they're just being human ...

I didn't mean to imply that I like all food, but that I decide whether or not I like something by eating it. It wouldn't occur to me to say that I don't like something that I've never eaten, I would instead respond that I've never tried it. I've tried a few things that look unappetising to me like fried bugs and scorpions or feel unappetising because of my cultural background like grilled rat and sun dried dog (but I do draw the line at haggis and Pizza Company). Having tried them, I then know whether I like the taste. (FYI - farm fresh bugs fried in chilli and garlic, yes; scorpion, yes; rat, yes; dog, no.)

Yeah, I get the distinction. But I don't plan to ever try any of the foods I've mentioned. Flavor isn't the only factor in not liking something. Yes of course there are lots of things I used to be grossed out by that I now love. Like squid tentacles, one of my favorites!

Edited by Jingthing

Yeah, I get the distinction. But I don't plan to ever try any of the foods I've mentioned. Flavor isn't the only factor in not liking something. Yes of course there are lots of things I used to be grossed out by that I now love. Like squid tentacles, one of my favorites!

crunchy...in a nice squid salad...nicely dressed with mirin...

• 1 month later...

My wife can eat Thai spices that would burn a hole in my stomach, but can't handle a vindaloo, which I eat often. I think it boils down to what you're used to eating.

Yeah.When I worked at a hotel in Bangkok every Xmas the staff canteen put on an international buffet as a treat. There was me scarfing down this vindaloo style curry and the Isaan staff ( who regularly stuck in excess of 20 chilis in their somtam ) were sweating and saying it was too spicy. Bloody hell if I have 5 chiiis in somtam it's hit or miss as to whether I should go to the local A and E

I agree with the comments that Thai folks don't like Indian/south Asian food because of a long-running prejudice against south Asians.

That said, the Thai friends I've taken to have Mexican/Tex-Mex food didn't like it at all, and couldn't eat more than a couple of bites. This intrigues me because I always figured that if you like Mexican food, you gotta like Thai food, and vice versa. Obviously not the case...

• 1 month later...

If they don't know it's Indian food then they like many of the plainer dishes, and I would think would get used to the stronger alien spices. Muslim Thai food is different, many Thais from other regions are fine with many of those dishes.

But they aren't willing to acquire unfamiliar tastes when they don't have a good impression of the associated ethnic group.

Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Italian, French are fashionable and therefore worth it to them to go to the trouble of getting used to the unfamiliar stronger aspects.

The Thai's I know who have been encouraged (or often in the cased of our wives) forced to enjoy more than one gastronomic Indian in general like Indian food.

Both 'groups' would agree that it smells, both would likely agree that Pla-Raa smells, but thats acceptable, much in the same way we in the west tolerate the whiff of blue cheese.

Japanese curry is an adaption of a British dish that was an adaption of an Indian dish. Since it uses curry powder it has a very distinct taste.

• 2 weeks later...

Japanese curry is an adaption of a British dish that was an adaption of an Indian dish. Since it uses curry powder it has a very distinct taste.

It also uses apples, which give it a distinct taste.

I agree with the comments that Thai folks don't like Indian/south Asian food because of a long-running prejudice against south Asians.

That said, the Thai friends I've taken to have Mexican/Tex-Mex food didn't like it at all, and couldn't eat more than a couple of bites. This intrigues me because I always figured that if you like Mexican food, you gotta like Thai food, and vice versa. Obviously not the case...

It shouldn't surprise too much as Mexican/Tex-Mex food has a totally different flavor profile than Thai food. Comments I have heard is that it is "too spicy" and that's hilarious as the problem is that is it is DIFFERENT spicy. Maybe someone should do a fusion Mex for Thais? Fish sauce fajitas, anyone?

The answer is obviously their perception of Indian people has extended to their perception of indian food. ie Thai people are thick as pigsh*t

Ironically I am of indian origin (although born in UK) and i've nailed plenty of Thai girls.

while i like indian food i rarely eat it because it generally makes me fell sluggish and disgusting.

it also disturbs me that it smells the same coming out as it did going in.

and i can smell it coming from my pores the next day, especially at the gym.

and it is not racist to remark that the indian diet can affect the way a person smells, and not necessarily due to hygiene.

i find the excessive perfumes and musks affected by other cultures far more offensive though, especially when used to mask poor hygiene.

Edited by nocturn

The Japanese used to say westerners smelt 'batta kusai' (stinking of butter). Apparently, those of us that eat dairy products stink but we can't smell it.... Of course, the Japanese now eat lots of dairy products so they are no longer afflicted by our smell...

...I wonder if there is something like this with Indians, more than westerners can smell of Indians.... We don't know we don't know...