Why Don'T Thai People Like Indian Food?

brit1984

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@newlymintedthai

LOL, Watch your words, you are the one who just talked about Indian, Thai and African people & how they smell differently.

They do. Because of different diets.

There's no scientific basis to any of your theories. That's it.

• Like 1

@newlymintedthai

LOL, Watch your words, you are the one who just talked about Indian, Thai and African people & how they smell differently.

Spend a couple seconds googling. Any medical professional will tell you that diet has a profound effect on body odor.

@newlymintedthai

Spend a couple seconds googling. Any medical professional will tell you that diet has a profound effect on body odor.

If that is the case then spices alone won't have an effect. What about people who eat meat; don't they smell of rotten flesh (as per your theory)

I am shocked when people who consume meat (flesh of dead animals which is subjected to putrefying bacteria as soon as the organism dies besides being an inhuman practice) talk about body odour of many Indians who consume a diet free of flesh.

When you consume organisms and their meat you must know it is made of digestive system along with it's excretory system & other products and you eat that.

• Like 1

This is from the point of view of a vegetarian,

Having spent over 2 years in India (off and on) and a similar time in Thailand I would say that Indian food is very heavy compared to Thai. It's based on oil or ghee and strong flavored ground or seed spices are used. Plus chapatis,paratha and nan bread etc.

It give one a sense of feeling very full (or fat) after eating. I've often felt that I don't need to eat for a few days after an Indian meal.

Thai food is much lighter and uses more leafy herbs for flavoring. A Thai meal is not as filling and you might feel like eating again an hour later. Hence,Thai's often eat 5-6 times a day. Indians eat at 3 fixed times.

Every country has it's own food but the British are gradually being weaned off fish n' chips to accept International food. Just as Americans are slowly, I hope, giving up Burgers and Thais are eating more Burgers than before, sadly.

What is the confusion with British food? What is the confusion with American food? ALL food done well is haute cuisine. If you eat the best fish 'n' chips (to use your example) in the world you are eating amazing food. A poor fish 'n' chips is as poor as a poor Masaman curry. British food is incredibly broad and, like all foods in the world, has inherited flavours and cooking tips from all over the world.

I would suggest you check out "Farmhouse Cookery: Recipes from the Country Kitchen" as a good educational aid.

• Like 2

If that is the case then spices alone won't have an effect. What about people who eat meat; don't they smell of rotten flesh (as per your theory)

Ansolutely correct. People who consume large quantities of meat do have different body odor qualities to vegetarians. Google it and you'll see that this has been scientifically tried and proven.

Ansolutely correct. People who consume large quantities of meat do have different body odor qualities to vegetarians. Google it and you'll see that this has been scientifically tried and proven.

Fine, so you are agreeing that non-vegetarians be it Thai smell like prehistoric cavemen (who basically ate meat as an essential part of their diet). Finally.

Individuals may indeed smell differently for a multitude of complex reasons but it IS racist to assume all people of a certain race/nationality smell a particular way without sniffing them out as individuals.

If they share the same diet, they will largely share a distinctive odor that reflects that diet. With individual overtones, of course. No two people smell EXACTLY the same, but diet is BY FAR the biggest influence.

Personally, I think you just like flailing your hands and using the "r" word.

@newlymintedthai

try this, read some of the half a million results and get back to us

Fine, that what the very first result had to say:

Overall, though, if you find a healthful vegetarian and put them side by side with a heavy meat eater in a sniff test, I'm confident your nose will lead you to the conclusion that the meat eater is the most offensive of the two. It's weird science, yes, but we are talking about a strange subject to begin with.

And, don't confuse the two subjects: here someone said that when someone consume heavily spiced food, have spices or their pores flowing out of their pores in form of sweat.

And, when someone eats meat, the smell remains locked inside and doesn't flow out of pores in form of sweat or if at all the sweat flows out, its full of fragrance.

That's what people said over here; I want to say to these people don't contradict yourself.

If body odour is influenced by food, then how is it that the sweat of meat-eating people has no smell (even though they consume very pungent smelling meat, far pungent than spices that's what I feel)

I wanted to drive home the point that if Indians who consume a spice-rich diet have a heavy body odour, then other people too who consume a meat/seafood have body odour and to say that it is any less offensive than that of spice-eating Indians is so gross

(because I can also say that meat eating people are used to their scent and the scent of other meat-eaters and hence don't find it offensive but since many are not used to heavily spiced Indian food they find their scent offensive)

Individuals may indeed smell differently for a multitude of complex reasons but it IS racist to assume all people of a certain race/nationality smell a particular way without sniffing them out as individuals.

If they share the same diet, they will largely share a distinctive odor that reflects that diet. With individual overtones, of course. No two people smell EXACTLY the same, but diet is BY FAR the biggest influence.

Wrong. Like I said I worked closely with Indian people and they ate a lot of Indian food. I didn't have sex with them and sniff their intimate areas but there was no distinctive strong odor from their diet. Frankly, I think smells that the public notice are more likely to be related to HYGEINE issues. I don't appreciate racial or national stereotyping about smells. It is offensive and I think you should consider not being so supportive of the widespread Thai ignorance on such matters. The typical Thai can be shown a picture of an Indian looking person and they well tell you something like SMELLS. How can you smell a picture? Like I said, obvious racial stereotyping.

Thai people and Thai culture have many lovely qualities. Racism against Indian people isn't one of them. Why make excuses for this ugly thing?

Edited by Jingthing

You did accept that meat eaters have a different body odour now but to say it is more pleasant than the body odour of many vegetarian Indians is completely wrong and very biased.

I can also apply the same argument & say you don't find the smell offensive because as a meat eater you are accustomed to that kind of body scent.

Wrong. Like I said I worked closely with Indian people and they ate a lot of Indian food. I didn't have sex with them and sniff their intimate areas but there was no distinctive strong odor from their diet. Frankly, I think smells that the public notice are more likely to be related to HYGEINE issues. I don't appreciate racial or national stereotyping about smells. It is offensive and I think you should consider not being so supportive of the widespread Thai ignorance on such matters.

Your co-workers probably masked their natural body odors with deodorants and colognes, like most of us in the first and second worlds do.

Have you ever been to India (or any other place with highly-spiced diets -- especially those including large amounts of curry, coriander seed, chili powder, fenugreek, etc.), and been around local people who don't use such odir madking products -- although they are not "dirty" in any way?

I suggest you give it a try.

I also think you should do more research on the subject of the diet's affect on body odor, and perhaps pull your PC head out of your *** for a few minutes to let it sink in.

You did accept that meat eaters have a different body odour now but to say it is more pleasant than the body odour of many vegetarian Indians is completely wrong and very biased.

I can also apply the same argument & say you don't find the smell offensive because as a meat eater you are accustomed to that kind of body scent.

Absolutely. I would encourage you to do so, because it is correct. Spices, meat, dairy...they all have an effect on body odor.

Pleasant or unpleasant is a personal matter.

I have never made any statement about Indians' body odor being offensive or unpleasant -- have I?

You seem intent on being offended as if I had.

I've traveled to over 50 countries. Mostly poor and spicy places. I've smelled a lot of smelly people of various nationalities. Mostly body odor related to poverty and poor sanitation. Also elderly people often start slipping in the hygiene department. I don't like racial stereotyping. I think different countries smell differently because of the environment, but PEOPLE, wash them up and they pretty much smell just fine unless you just don't like the smell of humans in general.

Edited by Jingthing

I've traveled to over 50 countries. Mostly poor and spicy places. I've smelled a lot of smelly people of various nationalities. Mostly body odor related to poverty and poor sanitation. Also elderly people often start slipping in the hygiene department. I don't like racial stereotyping. I think different countries smell differently because of the environment, but PEOPLE, wash them up and they pretty much smell just fine unless you just don't like the smell of humans in general.

You're in the minority, then.

Please find me one -- just one -- web reference that says diet has no effect on body odors.

There are about half a million that says it does.

Why you cling to your silly PC kumbaya premise that it doesn't, I have no clue. It certainly makes you look rather silly.

I'm talking about BAD smells. Not different smells. It seems the Thais are intolerant of different smells a bit too much for polite society. The way any individual smells at any given time is the result of the multitude of complex factors.

Back to the food issue, if a person's breath and sweat smells like strong curry and ghee or for the Thai palate fried grubs in old palm oil and rotten fermented fish paste, wouldn't a good tooth brushing and good bathing session wash that away?

Going back to the hygiene issue, when I was a boy I was in a situation where I was interacting with a Soviet family on a regular basis. Real Russians from the embassy, not immigrants. The adults smelled real bad. You could tell they didn't use deodorant or have American style hygiene habits. The kids smelled fine because they didn't have the deodorant issue. At the time I guess I concluded that Soviets didn't use deodorant during that era so because of that they smelled, which may or may not have been true. Of course nothing that a good bath and deodorant wouldn't have solved quickly. So do you reckon it was the BORSCHT that made them smell? Human beings do start to stink after a while without good hygiene. That has nothing to do with race or nationality, we all do.

Edited by Jingthing

I'm talking about BAD smells. Not different smells. It seems the Thais are intolerant of different smells a bit too much for polite society. The way any individual smells at any given time is the result of the multitude of complex factors.

Back to the food issue, if a person's breath and sweat smells like strong curry and ghee or for the Thai palate fried grubs in old palm oil and rotten fermented fish paste, wouldn't a good tooth brushing and good bathing session wash that away?

Nope. No more than brushing your teeth can help you pass a breathalyzer test.

Nope. No more than brushing your teeth can help you pass a breathalyzer test.

OK. Add some floss and mouthwash then. Sorry but my direct experience with Indians and other nationalities is that when they smell unpleasant it's a hygiene issue mainly. Not saying all people smell the same. Obviously not. I reckon each one of us has an individual smell signature.

Floss, brush, rinse your mouth out with hydrochloric acid if you want...you're still going to fail the breathalyzer test if you're drunk, because alcohol -- like everything else you ingest -- ends up in your system and comes out in your breath and through your pores.

Edited by NewlyMintedThai

Floss, brush, rinse your mouth out with hydrochloric acid if you want...you're still going to fail the breathalyzer test if you're drunk, because alcohol -- like everything else you ingest -- ends up in your system and comes out in your breath and through your pores.

I wasn't talking about booze. Talking about curry and rotten fish paste.

No difference. Both are consumed, ingested, and contribute to one's scent profile.

Curry, booze, and strong spices like garlic come through much more strongly than fish (fresh or fermented). I'm sure there's a chemical explanation.

No difference. Both are consumed, ingested, and contribute to one's scent profile.

Curry, booze, and strong spices like garlic come through much more strongly than fish (fresh or fermented). I'm sure there's a chemical explanation.

Garlic is a stronger smell than Indian curry. Thai food has lots of garlic. Are you kissing every Indian you meet on the street? I am talking about casual social content. Whether you encounter someone and their smell if really offensive. Not normal smells. As far as Thai racism, what would you call it if you visited a small Thai village and asked someone who had never personally encountered Indian food or people and they did the classic SMELLS face? Again, I calls them like I sees them. Thais should be careful about this. They eat lots of smelly type foods themselves.