I Am Scared Of Ants

brit1984

I have just seen another fearsome centipede prowling around the patio trying to find a way into my house to eat me and my family. That is 2 this week, unless the same one I dumped in the street the other day found his way back to my house and jumped the 10-foot wall (or crawled under the gate). There must be millions (or afew) in my garden. What can I do about these centipedes? (other than respecting and fearing them as already suggested)

are you sure it was a centipede as in the picture shown early in the thread. They are insanely rapid and i cant see one sitting still long enough to get scooped onto a plate.

Millipedes are alot more common, certain times of year, they are everywhere you look.

millipede -- 250px-Millipede.jpg

centipede --VietnameseCentipedeWHSp_AP7I.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just seen another fearsome centipede prowling around the patio trying to find a way into my house to eat me and my family. That is 2 this week, unless the same one I dumped in the street the other day found his way back to my house and jumped the 10-foot wall (or crawled under the gate). There must be millions (or afew) in my garden. What can I do about these centipedes? (other than respecting and fearing them as already suggested)

are you sure it was a centipede as in the picture shown early in the thread. They are insanely rapid and i cant see one sitting still long enough to get scooped onto a plate.

Millipedes are alot more common, certain times of year, they are everywhere you look.

Based on those two photos, it was a harmless millipede, not one of those blood thirsty centipedes. Thanks for putting me at ease!

I still haven't seen any ants in the house... even better here than I expected!

Based on those two photos, it was a harmless millipede, not one of those blood thirsty centipedes. Thanks for putting me at ease!

Do you mind......I'm trying to have my breakfast annoyed.gif

Do you mind......I'm trying to have my breakfast annoyed.gif

It is 3pm

The blisteringly painful death stealth spiders are probably keeping the ants away.

• Like 1

I just want to thank you all for posting and then quoting and then re-quoting this creepy crawly centipede pics over and over and over again.

The two most effective things you can do are (1) don't provide a food source, and (2) make use of a pest's natural enemies.

Clean up the kitchen after you're done eating. Spray down counter tops with a 2% bleach solution. put leftovers in the fridge, or at least in airtight containers. My inlaws are guiltily of this. They leave the food on the dinner table for hours after everybody has finished eating. Sometimes they leave it there over night, for next morning's breakfast.

In less tropical climates we have house centipedes. The aren't dangerous to humans and they keep the cockroach population in check. As much as I hated those centipedes, I hate roaches even more. At least centipedes keep to themselves and stay behind the floor boards. Roaches come right out into the open and get all up in your business and poop in your toothbrush. Here, I guess the equivalent to house centipedes would be house geckos. Even if I could catch them I wouldn't put them out of the house because I know they're doing pest control much better than I ever could.

Anything you do beyond that - spraying of poisons, dusting with talc, etc is just not very effective on its own.

OP ... where exactly is your property located, as I was to believe frorm a previous post of yours that it's in central Bangkok and a lot of the good folk here are suppling excellent replies ... with the assumption that you might be in a more rural setting.

... just saying

i got bit by a 20 cm centipede in my driveway on suk soi 11. i have also seen green vipers on numerous occasions.

If there is a large garden or vacant lot nearby, anything goes.

OP ... where exactly is your property located, as I was to believe frorm a previous post of yours that it's in central Bangkok and a lot of the good folk here are suppling excellent replies ... with the assumption that you might be in a more rural setting.

... just saying

i got bit by a 20 cm centipede in my driveway on suk soi 11. i have also seen green vipers on numerous occasions.

If there is a large garden or vacant lot nearby, anything goes.

Ok now you are scaring me again... we have a large garden and there is a vacant lot next-door but one... please could you re-assure me by telling me the centipede bite felt more like a kiss and that by "green vipers" you mean that American car with a huge engine that is normally painted red with two white stripes in the middle

I know it's not sensible to just tell someone with a phobia to not be scared. That just isn't reasonable. But, one thing that I've shown others that helps is to actually embrace the creatures and take time to study them up close and personal in their own environment. Get a magnifying glass and study them and their living habits. Ants are one of the most amazing creatures on earth. There is almost an infinite variety of species, and each have separate habits. Read up on them and try to recognize as many species as you can. Even the poisonous creatures like scorpions and centipedes are fascinating, and venom carrying creatures like certain snakes can be studied af tairly close range if you don't frighten them. Just don't try to pick them up.

Scorpion_006.sized.jpg

These ants were tiny and only about 2 mm long. I had to put my camera within 4cm just to get this picture.

Ants_3.jpg

My ex was terrified of spiders because she was from Australia that has a few very nasty ones like the funnel web, but I showed her how fascinating they were to a point where we had a few pet spiders in our home. We had a whole family of Black widow spiders living in the crawl space under our home.

black_widow.thumb.jpg

The same with a pet tarantula

Tarantula_1.sized.jpg

The huge Golden Orb is a beautiful spider and mostly harmless if left alone.

Golden_Orb_spider_1.sized.jpg

In Thailand it's only the centipede that I wouldn't want around if I had children. Their body is really toxic and their bite is really nasty. Don't pick up a dead one with your bare hands. Don't touch any part of their body with your bare skin.

Thai_centipede_2_Em.sized.jpg

Beg to differ with you on that Jakep - The Centipede - Their bodies are not toxic whatsoever, only their bite / sting.

They have a mouth which can bite, but is not venemous - It can draw blood however, but under their mouth they have a pair of pincer like prongs which will inject a painfull venom.

Depends I guess on their mood, I have had a couple of bites (from the mouth) and never had poison injected from the pincers, others I know have a had a full on multiple sting from the word go!

Their is nothing toxic from their skins whatsoever - I caught a 10 inch one of these buggers and turned it over, snipped off the two venom pincers with a pair of pliers and had the thing crawling all over me for about a half hour just to scare the wife!

She was screaming that it would kill me - I was like a lion tamer in her eyes, and she couldn't resist telling everyone that this thing didn't sting me!

If you want to keep the creepy crawlies out of the house, you can buy a Chinese "Chalk Stick" that contains an insecticide, just scratch it all around the house, it will keep most things out. If I can remember the name I will tag a link, but if you go to even your smallest local shops, they generally keep a stock of it.

I know it's not sensible to just tell someone with a phobia to not be scared. That just isn't reasonable. But, one thing that I've shown others that helps is to actually embrace the creatures and take time to study them up close and personal in their own environment. Get a magnifying glass and study them and their living habits. Ants are one of the most amazing creatures on earth. There is almost an infinite variety of species, and each have separate habits. Read up on them and try to recognize as many species as you can. Even the poisonous creatures like scorpions and centipedes are fascinating, and venom carrying creatures like certain snakes can be studied af tairly close range if you don't frighten them. Just don't try to pick them up.

Scorpion_006.sized.jpg

These ants were tiny and only about 2 mm long. I had to put my camera within 4cm just to get this picture.

Ants_3.jpg

My ex was terrified of spiders because she was from Australia that has a few very nasty ones like the funnel web, but I showed her how fascinating they were to a point where we had a few pet spiders in our home. We had a whole family of Black widow spiders living in the crawl space under our home.

black_widow.thumb.jpg

The same with a pet tarantula

Tarantula_1.sized.jpg

The huge Golden Orb is a beautiful spider and mostly harmless if left alone.

Golden_Orb_spider_1.sized.jpg

In Thailand it's only the centipede that I wouldn't want around if I had children. Their body is really toxic and their bite is really nasty. Don't pick up a dead one with your bare hands. Don't touch any part of their body with your bare skin.

Thai_centipede_2_Em.sized.jpg

Beg to differ with you on that Jakep - The Centipede - Their bodies are not toxic whatsoever, only their bite / sting.

They have a mouth which can bite, but is not venemous - It can draw blood however, but under their mouth they have a pair of pincer like prongs which will inject a painfull venom.

Depends I guess on their mood, I have had a couple of bites (from the mouth) and never had poison injected from the pincers, others I know have a had a full on multiple sting from the word go!

Their is nothing toxic from their skins whatsoever - I caught a 10 inch one of these buggers and turned it over, snipped off the two venom pincers with a pair of pliers and had the thing crawling all over me for about a half hour just to scare the wife!

She was screaming that it would kill me - I was like a lion tamer in her eyes, and she couldn't resist telling everyone that this thing didn't sting me!

If you want to keep the creepy crawlies out of the house, you can buy a Chinese "Chalk Stick" that contains an insecticide, just scratch it all around the house, it will keep most things out. If I can remember the name I will tag a link, but if you go to even your smallest local shops, they generally keep a stock of it.

Here are a few of the centipedes that came out when it rained - bare in mind the tiles are 12" x 12" and these have all been cut in half - there is no poison from their bodies (skin / skelton/shell) at all.

jakep.gif

Edited by Dekchaimong

As for ants, there are so many different species here and in general they are pretty harmless. The ones that seem to come into my place are those tinly little black ants, no more than 1mm or so, and they do nothing, they don't want to even come near you.

Next up are the larger black ants, probably just over 1 cm, again, they don't seem to bite or want to be near you.

Next on the scale is the Moet Deng or Moet Som, the red / Orange ants, these buggers will attack and can have a bit of a nasty sting if you get it in the eyes.

But by far the most aggressive are the Moet Lin Fai - Fire ants, small and black, they tend to live in the soil and generally don't come inside your home.

But be careful if you are planting anything, I was putting in some teak trees and scooping the loose earth out of the ground when I stuck my hands into a nest of these buggers! It was like 40, 000 volts

As for ants, there are so many different species here and in general they are pretty harmless. The ones that seem to come into my place are those tinly little black ants, no more than 1mm or so, and they do nothing, they don't want to even come near you.

Next up are the larger black ants, probably just over 1 cm, again, they don't seem to bite or want to be near you.

Next on the scale is the Moet Deng or Moet Som, the red / Orange ants, these buggers will attack and can have a bit of a nasty sting if you get it in the eyes.

But by far the most aggressive are the Moet Lin Fai - Fire ants, small and black, they tend to live in the soil and generally don't come inside your home.

But be careful if you are planting anything, I was putting in some teak trees and scooping the loose earth out of the ground when I stuck my hands into a nest of these buggers! It was like 40, 000 volts

Good information, thanks - I was once attacked by some red ants when I stopped to tie my shoelace while jogging - now I try to keep moving whenever I am outside - digging holes with my hands is not something I plan to do anytime soon or ever (unless I am buried alive) but thanks for the warning anyway

there are tiny red ones as well they pack quite a punch. for some reason they are attracted to towels and water and bathrooms but only at certain times of the year. After a couple of painful experiences ( i dry my junk first) i have learned to check the towel before using. for something so small they can raise quite a welt which at once itches and stings.

strangely the same thing happened to me at the gym today -- at the pool i grabbed the last towel on the outdoor bar and noticed once i had laid it on a lounger that it had tons of small red ants in the terry loops.

a few good shakes dealt with them and while everyone around me must of thought i was insane, i did not get bit.

there are tiny red ones as well they pack quite a punch. for some reason they are attracted to towels and water and bathrooms but only at certain times of the year. After a couple of painful experiences ( i dry my junk first) i have learned to check the towel before using. for something so small they can raise quite a welt which at once itches and stings.

strangely the same thing happened to me at the gym today -- at the pool i grabbed the last towel on the outdoor bar and noticed once i had laid it on a lounger that it had tons of small red ants in the terry loops.

a few good shakes dealt with them and while everyone around me must of thought i was insane, i did not get bit.

Thanks for the advice, by the time I have finished carefully checking every mm of my towell for killer-ants I will be dry...

As for ants, ....

Good information, thanks - I was once attacked by some red ants when I stopped to tie my shoelace while jogging - now I try to keep moving whenever I am outside - digging holes with my hands is not something I plan to do anytime soon or ever (unless I am buried alive) but thanks for the warning anyway

Slightly off-topic, but more specific towards being buried I live, can I suggest:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/541506-my-funeral-music/page__view__findpost__p__5149620

SC

A mosquito got in the house today but we dealt with it!... still no ants

Please save that sort of comment for facebook

SC

edit: and you can tell them what you had for breakfast, as well. And post a photo of the mosquito.

Edited by StreetCowboy

SC

edit: and you can tell them what you had for breakfast, as well. And post a photo of the mosquito.

Too appropriate, SC. jap.gifwai.gif

That is my assessment of Facebook as well. I can see where it MIGHT be useful, but it's filled with daily drivel.

Of course, brit1984 was just being sarcastic about the topic.

When those microscopic black ants get too prolific in my apartment I seem to get a visit from a few geckos and the problem is solved for a while. When the ants are gone the geckos move on as well. I was a bit worried that the tiny ants might make a home inside my laptop, but it didn't seem to happen.

The tiny ants do seem to like sugar. This tiny drop of mango juice hit the floor and within half an hour it was covered with a trail of ants. They are so small I had to hold the camera one centimeter away and use a flashlight just to get a photo.

Ants_Em.sized.jpg

Ants_1.sized.jpg

Edited by IanForbes

SC

That is my assessment of Facebook as well. I can see where it MIGHT be useful, but it's filled with daily drivel.

I rely on it for diet tips.

Also, I don't have a camera at the moment, so I have to snip out photos of people that look like my friends, and photos from people who have been on holiday to the same places as me...

I sit there and think "what kind of sad loser reads all this stuff - there's reams of it...

SC

SC

Also, I don't have a camera at the moment, so I have to snip out photos of people that look like my friends, and photos from people who have been on holiday to the same places as me...

I sit there and think "what kind of sad loser reads all this stuff - there's reams of it...

SC

When I buy a new wallet I keep the sample family photos they come with in it.

Sometimes, late at night I like to make up names for them and pretend they are my family..

It's pathetic...

SC

SC

When I buy a new wallet I keep the sample family photos they come with in it.

Sometimes, late at night I like to make up names for them and pretend they are my family..

It's pathetic...

That's a great idea; I'm going to start saving for a new wallet now.

SC

Fair point SC... I am not a Facebooker but I understand your point nonetheless