What Documents Do You Carry?

mraitchison

What documents do you carry with you when you are out of the house?

I used to carry a copy of my passport all the time, then I started taking it only when I went to BKK now but these days I just keep my drivers licence with me.

The missus has been asking what would happen to me if I am stopped or have an accident due to the lack of ID.

What should I carry? If something does happen what is the best thing to have in my wallet so that the missus is called?

I was thinking of putting a sticker with her name and number isnide my wallet but not sure if that is the best idea.

Cheers

MrA

Original of driver's licence (IDP - International Drivers Permit - with pic, in my case) and good photocopies of relevant passport pages - i.e. showing visas etc as relevant. Very unlikely (though technically possible) that this combo wouldn't be enough. As belt and braces, I'd also include something that showed the address/'phone of where you're staying/living in LOS.

I carry my drivers license, and a few thousand baht, also an atm card in case a few thou is not enough :o

I also scanned the relevant pages of my passport and e-mailed it to myself where it is stored and available to me anywhere I can go online.

I carry my drivers license, and a few thousand baht, also an atm card in case a few thou is not enough :o

I also scanned the relevant pages of my passport and e-mailed it to myself where it is stored and available to me anywhere I can go online.[/color=red]

that's actually a very smart idea!

I carry a drivers license, worked always fine for hotels and minor car accidents. Never been stopped and asked to identify myself in almost nine years. Passport stays at home and is locked away.

:D

I carry my drivers license, and a few thousand baht, also an atm card in case a few thou is not enough :D

I also scanned the relevant pages of my passport and e-mailed it to myself where it is stored and available to me anywhere I can go online.[/color=red]

that's actually a very smart idea!

I carry a drivers license, worked always fine for hotels and minor car accidents. Never been stopped and asked to identify myself in almost nine years. Passport stays at home and is locked away.

:o I just carry my police ID

I leave the house... Cigs, keys, matches, wallet..... in my wallet I carry nothing important... old suspicion that If i get rooobed i will keep my valuble seperat.

I can't type anymore.

ID... Only if I leave the village.

WHcih is why I never leave the village.

I always have my Thai Driving Licence, Medical Card, ATM Card and Credit Card in my wallet. The Thai Driving Licence is generally accepted in lieu of Passport by banks etc, although it may well not satisfy all.

Having recently received another annual visa extension, this week I will get the photo page of my Passport and latest extension page copied and reduced to Credit Card size. I will then have them laminated so that one side shows the photo page, the other the latest visa extension details.

It only takes a few minutes and the cost is minimal.

I have only ever been stopped once in BKK, the cop asked me for my passport and I told him I had left it at home in Chonburi. He then sniffed my cigs, thanked me and my wife and we continued on.

But it is a good idea to keep your ID with you, even if it is a copy.

Miniature copy of my key passport pages, Thai DL, University staff photo ID, ATM, CC, Medical card and university business cards. Photo copies in my mobile phone. Belts and braces as someone mentioned (Belts and suspenders for us yanks). :o

I also scanned the relevant pages of my passport and e-mailed it to myself where it is stored and available to me anywhere I can go online.

Excellent idea! Could do the same thing with other valuable things...like credit cards.

When out and about in my home province I only carry my two Thai drivers licenses. When I am traveling outside of my home province I take my passport. For those that carry an IDP be aware it only works with a tourist visa. If you have a non o or non b or a one year visa extention by law you should have a Thai drivers license. but then again who follows the law in Thailand?

Barry

I always have my 2 Thai Drivers Licenses with me, also If I am going Upcountry I take my Passport and Work Permit, Social card etc etc.

Its funny how when you go to hospital, they are more interested in your W/P rather than your passport. Maybe that is so they can make a "Broadband Connection" to your health fund :o

Excellent idea! Could do the same thing with other valuable things...like credit cards.

Never did that with my credit cards but I do with travelers checks.

Also having copies of important documents on your PDA/mobile phone might come in handy.

I dont bring my passport with me anywhere. I have been asked for it before and I always just explain that it is locked up and I provide them with usa drivers license for ID.

I had a bar in the south try to ask me for a passport. Is that normal? Who brings their passport with them to go get drunk? My passport is to valuable to carry around with me and risk losing it

Laminated double sided copies Thai license, medical card, and paper copy of passport/extension visa.

The copy of license was accepted by the police and they even gave it back after paying my 200 baht fine. :D

Do not carry the originals since the last time I was robbed. :o

Great idea about emailing passport scan to oneself.

Mike.

In my car a copy of my passport and visa and wokrpermit

In my wallet my insurance, business card, social card and TAX card,

as well as my non thai driver lincense

The TAX card is very significant, it brings you benefits as well in parks and it is legit form of being a resident/working in Thailand